what should i weigh

Options
Call me crazy but i think the DR is crazy. Im 5'5" 245lbs. According to the dr i should weigh at 115:sad: . Now let me say nobody in my family is that small. NOBODY. Maybe we are all unhealthy i dont know but in reality what should i weigh?. I keep adjusting my weight loss goal because i mean i want to be healthy but dont want to look cracked out...excuse the term :ohwell: I think i should be around 150? Am i wrong?:noway:

Replies

• Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I'm 5' 5" and weigh 115 currently. My profile pic was taken when I weighed about 119-120. I don't think I look cracked out. =)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Get to 150 and then decide. Typically people readjust their goals along the way. I'm 5'3" and have no idea what my final weight will be. I have lots of muscle.
    Don't sweat this stuff, just pick a first goal and work towards it!
    Good luck!!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    150's a little high, I'm 5'8 and my ideal weight range is between 131 and 164. Depends on your body type too...Do you have small bones? I unfortunately am muscular and have medium-sized bones so I'll go for the 164 and see from there if I should shed anymore or not
  • Incredmrse
    Options
    I'm 5'6", and my Dr my whole life has always just known I am a bigger girl. She would like me to get and maintain at 160.
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my ideal body weight is 135- I'm not sure that really accounts for muscle though, I think I'm going to settle more around 140-150 because I've become more athletic. I wouldn't worry too much about the end goal- for now, 150 sounds like a reasonable set point. you can always make a new goal once you have met one! ;)
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think a good number to aim for is between 130 and 140 and you decide where to take it next
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    5'5 women should range between 114-150. I'd aim for in the middle of that...
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    115 could be a reasonable 'thin' weight, depends on muscle and bone structure etc. but so could 140-150 if you're carrying the right muscle for it. Get to 150 and see what you think.... What you think matters more anyway right?

My goal is 210 even though BMI puts me at 190 max to be 'normal'... I know for myself that at 200 - 210 Im in good shape, so who cares what some chart says (or Dr.)... Good luck...
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    if you look in the mfp tools page and calculate your bmi, it will tell you the range of healthy for your height. it is from that that I set my 1st goal (to get into the range), from there I will reassess.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5" and my goal is 130. After that the number on the scale wont matter since I'll be working on toning up. I might aim to get smaller, i might not.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I always go by the high end of the scales for BMI, etc. not a fan of BMI but I hate those doctors calculations. I am only 5'3 and have a medium to broad build. My goal is 137 because much lower that I am sickly skinny. I am a size 6 at 145 so I have a lot of muscle tone.

Check out this site.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

If you take measurements, you can figure out your current body fat % then go from there to find a good bf % goal within the healthy range. Once you get there, you can adjust or maybe you will like your shape. Good luck!
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/results_normal.html?pounds=125&inches=65

You should weigh between 111lbs and 150lbs to have a healthy Body Mass Index. According to my doctor a good rule of thumb is 100bs for the first five feet of height, and 5lbs for every inch afterwards.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor test your body fat?
    I'd roll with 130 and see how you look/feel at the point.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I checked my BMI chart (google BMI Chart) and decided I would get to the top weight that was just under overweight. I think you should get to where you feel healthy, confident, pretty and comfortable.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5." I set my original goal at 145. It's within a normal BMI and even my dr acted like I shouldn't try too hard to go lower than that unless I wanted to. I hit that goal and decided to keep losing until I'm happy and try to build some muscle. That's really the only way you can do it. Set a goal you feel you can work towards and when you get there, check in with yourself to see where you want to go. As long as you feel healthy and you're happy with where you are, that's where you need to be.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is insane. 115 is way underweight for your height.

You should weigh anywhere between 120 and 160.

You were right!
  • ladybird10
    ladybird10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For your height, 150 would put you in a "normal" weight range. You should weight anywhere between 115-150 to have what is considered a normal BMI. Just get to your goal of 150 and then you can make adjustments if you want.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    that would be a stretch. 150. with a nice lean body mass.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but i think the DR is crazy. Im 5'5" 245lbs. According to the dr i should weigh at 115:sad: . Now let me say nobody in my family is that small. NOBODY. Maybe we are all unhealthy i dont know but in reality what should i weigh?. I keep adjusting my weight loss goal because i mean i want to be healthy but dont want to look cracked out...excuse the term :ohwell: I think i should be around 150? Am i wrong?:noway:

First off, don't listen to your doctor. I told my doctor when I was 243lbs that I wanted to weigh 130lbs and she thought that was an unreasonable goal. She said I should aim for 150 which NOW (256) is still unreasonable and I am 5'6". I am creating small goals for myself. For instance, right now it's to lose 60 pounds. I want to get down to 200lbs. Once I meet that goal, then I will create another goal.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Why don't you worry about that when you get down to 150? The range of weights that are considered "ideal" has apparently increased since I was young. 150 pounds sounds high to me, but I am not a medical professional. Obviously, there are many factors to consider: Your age, bone structure, body fat composition, among others.