How do I know what info to use and discard?

Options
I have read a lot of information online about weight loss. So many guidelines and tips. How do I know what to utilize and what isn't necessary? I think in my past attempts to lose weight I became overwhelmed with all this information and didn't know where to even start with it all.

I currently weight about 300lbs and my goal weight is 150lbs. I'm wanting to focus on losing weight rather than gaining muscle, although I do want to tone up a bit in the long run.

Are there any basic guidelines and tips that could help me start?

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the reason there's so many tips and diet plans or reputed quick fixes, is because different things work for different people. And, sometimes one can be at a point in their life where they want one kind of solution (quick or long term) over another. For me, it was reading about a lot of stuff and then trying different approaches before I found what worked for me, and not only resulted in weight loss, but feeling way healthier. Eating in a way that makes me feel good makes it easy to stick to it.

So, unfortunately it's hard for someone else to tell you what's keeper info and what's not.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    Gaining muscle helps you lose weight. You want to replace fat with muscle. In order to do that, you have to do strength training along with cardio, which means lifting weights. It will not make you muscle bound. Quite the contrary, it will help make you a more efficient burner of calories in the future, so that you will keep off the weight you lose. Otherwise, you will lose muscle when you diet and exercise, and you don't want that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The key to success?

Read a lot. Do research. Then figure out what works best for you. Weight loss is not a one size fits all journey. It is up to you to figure out what your body wants and how to change your life so this is long term successful.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. You have to do both to continue a good weight loss. Muscle burns more calories than fat so if you replace the fat with muscle you will keep up the loss and not stall out. With that said, I should have followed my own advice and i wouldn't be stuck at a plateau right now. Don't do what I did. Exercise, strength train and diet. They all work together and you won't regret it.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Dunno. In the end it's pretty simple.
    Eat less than you did before trying to lose weight, and exercise more.

Your body consumes itself when you lose weight, this includes muscle. Weight training stalls/slows this process.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I would like to make a suggestion of doing research, finding out which ones you are interested in as if they are true or not, then talk to a doctor to get an expert opinion (even though those will be differing if you talk to more than one). Time, research and studies, and the media make it hard to figure out a lot of facts about weight loss. Everything changes and everyone is different. Most of the time though it's just as simple as eating small portions, eating balanced diet, and exercise. I wish you luck.
  • Cortnizzle
    Options
    First thing you should do is start tracking. Track everything that passes through your lips. A taste, a sip, a sample. EVERYTHING. Then you will be able to identify where your extra calories are coming from.

Calories come from energy sources in your food, namely protein, fat and carbs. To be balanced, MFP suggests 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein.

MFP provides a pie chart for your daily calories log to make it easy to see where you may be going over or need to boost.

As far as weight loss tricks and tips are concerned, the ABSOLUTE NUMBER ONE predictor of weight loss success is a calorie log so whatever you do, make sure you know what you are eating and how much and you will be successful. Knowledge is power.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Diets do not work except temporarily. To take weight off and keep it off you have to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. See your personal physician and come up with a plan that is healthy and doable for your lifestyle. Weigh and measure your food. Portion control is very important. Get an HRM so you will know how many calories you burn while exercising. Eat healthy and exercise daily. Fad diets come and go. No one dies from doing this the healthy way. Take your measurements. This is an important measure of your progress. Don't get discouraged. This is NOT a race. Believe in yourself and make friends on MFP that can support you on your journey.

Please do some more research. It is IMPERATIVE that you gain muscle while losing the pounds. This is a wonderful gift you are giving to yourself and your family. Enjoy the journey! It can be difficult but the rewards are huge.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Use the same techniques that I use when it comes to evaluating what a mechanic tells me is wrong with my car:

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    What you don't want is to lose the muscle you do have while you're trying to lose the fat, so please make sure you're eating sufficiently to fuel the body you have now. Then know that almost any change you make, regardless of where you find it, will make a (often significant) difference in the beginning and then will taper off. Don't be afraid to try something over a longer period of time before judging it's worth in getting you healthy. The biggest thing is that you only do what you can see yourself doing in the long run; don't go jumping on some "master plan" weight-loss program bandwagon if you can't see yourself following those guidelines forever.
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Totally decided to go workout after posting this, gonna read the replies now!
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Diets do not work except temporarily. To take weight off and keep it off you have to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. See your personal physician and come up with a plan that is healthy and doable for your lifestyle. Weigh and measure your food. Portion control is very important. Get an HRM so you will know how many calories you burn while exercising. Eat healthy and exercise daily. Fad diets come and go. No one dies from doing this the healthy way. Take your measurements. This is an important measure of your progress. Don't get discouraged. This is NOT a race. Believe in yourself and make friends on MFP that can support you on your journey.

Please do some more research. It is IMPERATIVE that you gain muscle while losing the pounds. This is a wonderful gift you are giving to yourself and your family. Enjoy the journey! It can be difficult but the rewards are huge.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Thank you for the reply! Great advice! I have decided this would be a lifestyle change, I don't really believe in the idea of diets. No point in losing weight temporarily only to gain it back.

I was wondering about an HRM, since I've seen it mentioned several times in posts on MFP. I will definitely look into getting one!

I also didn't consider taking my measurements, I should. That would probably give me an extra boost of encouragement to see loss in that area.
  • MDA1540
    MDA1540 Posts: 2
    Options
    My advice...don't take anyone's advice. They aren't you. But since you're asking for input:

- Gather information and opinions and use it to come up with something that is going to work for you, and when that doesn't work exactly like you thought it would then make alterations as you go.

- Accept that you are going to fail from time to time. We all have our moments of weakness. The trick is to re-focus and keep on going. The old you is going to play constant mind games with the new you, so keep moving forward even if you knock yourself back every once in awhile and forgive yourself for doing so.

This is going to be one of the hardest things you've even done. If it were easy everyone would be thin and fit.

- Have an end goal...a reason you want to get in shape. I'm not talking about a number. I'm talking about choosing something maybe you always wanted to do but couldn't because of your fitness level/weight.

For me it was obstacle mud runs like Spartan Race. At 278 pounds I decided in six months I was going to try an 8-mile race through the Texas Hill Country. Six months later I was down about 40 pounds and barely dragged myself over the finish line at the Super Spartan. I'm doing a 3-mile Spartan Sprint next month and am on track to be at 210 for that race, and in December is a big 10-12 mile Super Spartan which I want to be under 200 and in great shape to tackle the course again.

- Surround yourself with positive enablers and distance yourself from the negative. I'm a big believer in "You are what you surround yourself with". I'm not saying kick any friends to the curb...I'm just saying maybe avoid eating meals with them.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I would take absolutely everything you read and are told with a massive grain of salt. For example some of the responses here are a little misleading. You can not 'replace fat with muscle'. What you can do is build muscle through approriate weight training and you can also lose fat through ensuring you consume less calories than you utilise. Building muscle with definately help you to create that calorie deficit, however you will not lose fat as an automatic by-product of building muscle. Look at elite powerlifters, many are both hugely strong and muscled and have highish BF% because they still consume a massive amount of cals.

At the end of the day my advise would be to keep it simple:
    #1 - Work out the number of calories you need to consume a day in order to create a calorie defecit.
    #2 - Eat simple nutritious natural foods
    #3 - track your intake to ensure you stay within the calories defined at #1
    #4 - Introduce a balanced exercise routine made up of heavy weights and some cardio that you ENJOY and therefore will keep doing...

Things like macro% and meal frequency/timing etc etc become important once you have the basics sorted and you are doing some really refined tweaks. In the immediate term I wouldn't get caught up on any of that stuff.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good info to know. To select wisely. To learn from others. I've never been one to desire to go through the school of hard knocks, just seems foolish when you can look at other's examples, some smart, some foolish themselves.

Suggest you use the Search button above and search for "stall" "plateau" "weight loss stop" and learn what can happen, and what they did that got them there. Any need to repeat their mistakes?
    And then read the responses of those that got out of it, perhaps doing those smart things from the start.

Sadly if you search for the successful topics, it doesn't tell you when they came back 3 months later for topic on weight loss stopped. Meaning their initial thoughts and actions didn't work out.

Here's some facts to keep in mind. Be aware in the discussion of activity levels, MFP does it differently. You selected, hopefully correctly, an activity level that had nothing to do with exercise. Because you are expected to add it later.
    And you may recall entering a weight loss goal.
    Check out the results of those decisions on My Home - Goals.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
    Your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories) expended by the body to remain in bed asleep all day!

BMR can be responsible for burning up to 70% of the total calories expended, but this figure varies due to different factors (see below).

Diet. Starvation or serious abrupt calorie-reduction can dramatically reduce BMR by up to 30 percent. Restrictive low-calorie weight loss diets may cause your BMR to drop as much as 20%.

Exercise. Physical exercise not only influences body weight by burning calories, it also helps raise your BMR by building extra lean tissue. (Lean tissue is more metabolically demanding than fat tissue.) So you burn more calories even when sleeping.

Calorie deficit thresholds: How low is too low?
    It is well known that cutting calories too much slows down the metabolic rate, decreases thyroid output and causes loss of lean mass, so the question is how much of a deficit do you need? There definitely seems to be a specific cutoff or threshold where further reductions in calories will have detrimental effects.

Adjust your caloric intake gradually
    It is not advisable to make any drastic changes to your diet all at once. After calculating your own total daily energy expenditure and adjusting it according to your goal, if the amount is substantially higher or lower than your current intake, then you may need to adjust your calories gradually.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    only listen to me.

ha.

no, seriously -- look for tips from people who have REACHED AND MAINTAINED goal for a long period of time.

There are no short-cuts or gimmicks -- no magic pills, starvation diets, cabbage soup miracles, etc.

Just keep it simple: set up your goal on MFP at 2 lbs/week loss, eat back your exercise calories, TRACK HONESTLY, and get moving!

You can do it!

blessings!
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of information online about weight loss. So many guidelines and tips. How do I know what to utilize and what isn't necessary? I think in my past attempts to lose weight I became overwhelmed with all this information and didn't know where to even start with it all.

I currently weight about 300lbs and my goal weight is 150lbs. I'm wanting to focus on losing weight rather than gaining muscle, although I do want to tone up a bit in the long run.

Are there any basic guidelines and tips that could help me start?
    Something that I'm doing that is helping is eating twice as many vegetables first (plain veggies, no butter, no fried, no blah blah ...) and then eat the protein and then rest....and then if still hungry eat the carb (pasta potato bread). Also filling your plate HALF with veggies, then 1/4 with proteing and 1/4 with carb....and make sure you can see the plate underneath the food. This has helped me. Good luck and great job getting onto this site.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you want sound advice and/or you want to learn the facts about nutrition and losing weight, I would suggest this article:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat

It's a long read, but it will definitely give you the information you need.