Bodymedia- anyone using it and is it worth the $$?

Options
I was curious about the Bodymedia system. What are some opinions on it? Is it too good to be true or is it a great thing to have? I'd really like to know how many calories I burn during the day, which is why I'm interested in the program.

Any opinions will be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• moveitmoveitmoveit
    Options
    I really like mine. It makes things super easy for me. I helps to keep me on track.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Actually, I loved my old one with the digital display. I wore it every day, and knew where I was at any point of the day-- steps taken or calories burned. I got the new one, and it's not compatible with the iPhone 4s. I'm so bummed! It really did keep me on track and motivated to move more!
  • Mexxy
    Mexxy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do u have the band? If not I have one then got one as a gift. I'm selling for 75.00 comes with 2 bands and a face sticket
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I use bodybugg (pretty much same thing, same company). I have the one that has a companion app rather than any watch-like interface. I love the device and the data it gives me. Most importantly, it really seems to be bang on, as in, if I eat 500 calories under what it tells me to eat, I lose weight. It actually has a feature to show you how your measurement changes compare to what you would expect based on the log, and mine tend to be within 50 calories of agreement.

On the down side, they seem to have put absolutely no time into the interface aspect of the product. The logging system through their website is absolutely dreadful, so I log everything in MFP and transfer macro totals over to the website manually once a week. The app itself is buggy as hell and I think I've had to delete and reinstall it like 10 times in the 4 months I've had it. In the app store, its rated like 1.5 stars. Last con is that you wear it on your arm, and in social situations, that can mean admitting that you are trying to lose weight, which is somewhat uncomfortable for me. I've just rationalized it as "They have all noticed that I've lost 30 pounds and surely they didn't think it was an accident, so yeah, they know I've been trying to lose weight." And now that I'm closer to my goal, I've stopped wearing it out for dates and stuff where I want to feel pretty.

Overall, I love it and would recommend it to anyone who can tolerate the above mentioned negative points. The only thing I might do differently is get one with a watch interface instead of this really ****ty app, although I wouldn't wear the armband all the time, I'd keep it in my purse or something lol. And also, I should add that I don't know if my complaints apply to the body media fit or if it is a bodybugg specific thing.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've had one since Nov. and it was really eye opening. I honestly thought I burned more calories than I do and it has helped me to stay more active and lose weight. I'm struggling a bit more now that I'm gaining a bit more muscle as it doesn't seem to adjust for that, so not sure how much more it will help me in coming months as I do more weight training, but I still seem tied to it. :) The sleeping feature is also pretty nifty, it knows when I'm sleeping, even when sitting on the couch. LOL
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I got a Body Bugg with display for $155 delivered. I think it is worth it. It came with 6 months of their website, after that it is about $10/month. You have to use the website to download data and update your weight, so it calculates your calorie burn. I don't like the website, but it is still worth it to me to pay the fee.

I feel much more comfortable with my calorie burn numbers than logging exercises. For example, for me 1 hr of general tennis on MFP has a calorie burn of 1,064. According to the Body Bugg it is about 740. The last thing I want is to think I deserve to lose more weight than I am losing...it is very unmotivating.

The Body Bugg also gives you motivation to just be more active in your every day life. My house is cleaner and I am ahead of spring gardening schedule.

I also have a Fitbit. Although my calorie burn over the past month is almost identical to the Body Bugg, I don't think it is as accurate. It overstates activity when I drive and although it recognizes motion (not just steps), it doesn't know my level of exertion. For example, it doesn't know the difference between my just moving my arm or my doing bicep curls with a 25 pound weight.

I've heard the Body Bugg and Body Media are essentially the same. I know they are both sold by Apex. If you plan to buy it, here is a coupon code for 10% off: MTHANK14qy You might find a better one online. I found one for 15% off when I bought it.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    i just bought one off ebay. can't wait to get started.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've had one for a few months and I love it.
    I love knowing how many calories I burn everyday..:)

Makes it easy to know if I'm eating enough calories.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Have used it for less than a week and I love it! It is really great to see what your body is doing. I think I will wear it forever!!
  • frmrdtr
    frmrdtr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's great to read what the good and bad things are. I was going to buy one on ebay just last night, but I wasn't sure about the monthly subscription- some had a free 3 month, others didn't mention that. Plus, there are a few different 'types' of bands, and instead of reading each one, I thought I'd check with folks who actually use them and see what they thought.

It sounds like a pretty good thing. Yustick, I totally get the part where they ( i.e. machines, or MFP) calculated how many calories are being burnt, but what is my body actually burning? It could be totally different.
  • frmrdtr
    Options
    Mexxy, I will keep you in mind. I found some on ebay that were a little cheaper, but I'll definitely get in touch with you if I don't find one there.
    Thanks!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have one (bought it from amazon, saved about 20 bucks).

I have been using it since early April. It makes seeing how close your food and actual burn is so easy. I plan on using it every day (I have been so far) until at least September. The subscription is affordable (I think $6 a month? free 3 months, too) and I plug in the little device whenever I am curious.

I like it very much and I am very glad I purchased it.
  • mistress_kay
    mistress_kay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in LOVE with mine. It was a huge eye-opener to see how much MyFitnessPal was overestimating some of my calorie burns (It gave me an Elliptical on 40 minutes as burning over 900 calories while the BodyMedia device lets me know it's only about 550). I will readily admit that the food database could use a lot of help (it is not NEARLY as comprehensive as MFP), but I love BodyMedia enough to set-up my own food manually (only has to be done once then you can use the food again and again). I still use MFP, though - mostly for the forums and the food database.

It's comfy too. I've actually almost stepped into the shower with it a couple times. Oops. I don't notice it throughout the day, but if you're going to be embarrassed by it, most t-shirts (male shirts - not female as female shirts tend to have shorter sleeves) hide the device just fine.

I've been using it for about two months straight now, and I love it. Truly. I'd definitely say it's worth it if you want to be very accurate in knowing exactly what your body is burning and comparing things. (Example: Do I burn more doing Zumba at home or at the gym? Turns out I burn more at the gym once you include physically going to the gym, climbing the stairs, and just attempting to be as awesome as everyone else. But I still burn more with at-home Zumba than doing my hour-long walk.)

I personally have the BodyMedia Link - the one that wirelessly connects to phones. I'm "meh" on it. If you are attached to your phone and love using your phone and are away from your computer a lot, it's good, but if you are near your computer often (like I am), I definitely would say to go with the other too. If you have a small arm or want to hide it better, go with their CORE one, but if you really don't mind the larger size nor want the phone feature, then the least expensive one is their Armband Advantage one, so I'd go with that.

I have a full, written-up review on one of my blogs, so if you want the link, just let me know, and I can send it to you. :) I'll also answer quesitons too :)
  • frmrdtr
    Options
    Thanks! mistress_kay, I'd really like to read your review. It sounds like I'm in the market to buy something, just not sure which band. I don't have the personal attachment to my phone- I haven't moved into the smartphone world-so I would rely on my computer to do the entry stuff.

Do you need any info to send me the link? Just let me know.

Thanks again!