Any other women with PCOS on here taking Metformin?

Options
So, I have a very bad case of PCOS (no period for over a year, no oestrogen level of which to speak) and am at high risk to develop insulin resistance due to family history, so last Thursday my doctor prescribed me Metformin. I currently take 500mg with breakfast, and 500mg with dinner. In a week, that increases to 500mg with lunch as well.

At first, the Metformin worked great. Now, however, I find myself getting increasingly hungry by about lunch-afternoon snack time, and craving carbs like a btch. Given I have to follow a low carb diet (I aim for <60g net), this is driving me insane. It seems like I'm back to square one where, no matter how much I eat, I'm still STARVING.

My question is: should I start taking the 500mg at lunch dose now, or wait until Thursday? Also, any tips for eating with Metformin would be greatly appreciated. I'm a recovering sugar addict, and I'm tired of being constantly starving and miserable, it's really not helping my weight loss ...

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would wait. When you increase it too fast you are more likely to have stomach problems.
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just started been on it for two days at 250mg will up it to 500mg and so forth, I am seeing that I am still getting a lil hungry I am making myself eat every two hours if I can, breakfast at 7am , 930 snack, 11 lil snack, I do not get a lunch until 1230, and snack at 3 and then dinner about 5 0r 6 this will help with the hunger, and just choose low carb snacks with protein to them
  • dahlialia
    dahlialia Posts: 16
    Options
    IMO I don't think adding the last 500mg of metformin sooner will help the hunger.

Are you eating enough calories? How much protein/fat?
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would wait. When you increase it too fast you are more likely to have stomach problems.

^THIS! Metformin used to tear my stomach up. For the longest time, I only took one dose per day rather than the two I was supposed to. It has gotten better with time, though. And believe me, if you end up with the stomach problems I did, you'll be even hungrier because nothing stays with you. Sorry if that's tmi. :tongue:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would do what your doctor tells you. There's a reason for it. If you want to start taking it earlier go back and talk to them. DO NOT go against your doctors wishes.

I also wasn't aware Met controlled hunger. How many calories are you eating per day?
  • ChelseyDesaray
    ChelseyDesaray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started taking metformin on 4/23 i thought i noticed an increase in hunger but I wasn't sure. My dr put me on it for pcos to help with weight loss. I sure hope it works because i have a ton of post baby weight that i need to lose.