Job interview tips?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hi everyone!

I have landed a job interview at club pink (a gym!) as a receptionist! I REALLY want this job, it would be like my dream job. I am in studying to become a Personal Trainer atm.

Just wondering if anyone has any good job interview tips?

The only places I have ever been interviewed so far is fast food restaurants so I have no idea what to expect, haha.

:)

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would definitely mention your interest in fitness and how you really like their organization and why, and why you belong there! Good luck :)
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    Just be yourself. I figure if I'm myself both of us can get a good idea of the fit and if they don't like me as I am, then I don't want to work for them anyway because it probably won't be a very positive experience. So yeah - just be yourself. I think being genuine like that counts in your favour too.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Just be prepared to tell them why you want to work there and what would make you a good fit for that. i would mention your studies in personal training and also talk about you communication skills etc. Have some questions for them as well (schedule, responsibilities etc....) It at least shows that you prepared.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Stay confident, when they ask for flaws think of it as a challenge to make yourself better (example: I'm a perfectionist; I have had someone tell me I'm too nice to dislike; I am frustrated when I can't do above and beyond, stuff like that), make eye contact, and do your best to be polite and smile. Good luck with the interview.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Research the company and ask a question or 2 pertinent to the company (shows you have interest)
    Also, I would see if you could get anyone to write you a quick letter of recommendation and bring it (even if you have to help draft it, haha)
    It's impossible to predict every question they'll have, but if they throw a curve ball, take a deep breath and don't feel like you have to answer right away, take a sec to think of a good response.
    Im sure others have good ideas too, but these seem to work for me!! Good luck!!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I currently have a job but have been applying to several different positions the past three years with no success. I then applied for my dream job, I blew the phone interview or so I thought however was selected to interview in person. With the previous interviews I prepared answers I thought would be "professional" and read lots of different articles on the web regarding interviewing. This time I did none of that and just went in and was myself and this time wasn't nervous at all. I just found out Friday I got the job! So, my advise to you is be yourself, if your don't know an answer to a certain question don't BS, just tell them that you would be the best candidate for the job and why. Be enthusiastic about the company and let your personality shine through. You will do fine.

Diana
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    Be yourself, accentuate the positives about yourself. Since youre an ozzie, youll be alright mate.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I used to be involved in hiring where I used to work. I can tell you what I wish a lot of candidates didn't seem to know:

1. Be on time
    2. Don't hand someone a wrinkled resume or application
    3. Make sure your appearance is neat (hair in place, fresh breath, if you smoke, don't smell like it)
    4. Be polite
    5. Relax
    6. Have a friend do a practice interview with you.

If you are going to be the receptionist you probably need to show them that you can confidently interact with people you don't know. If you have the time and can afford it, get a copy of "Get Yourself Promoted". I think you can get it on Kindle for about $10 and it is an easy read.
  • mills101
    mills101 Posts: 58
    Options
    i always cover myself in babyoil before i go for an interview
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    These are all great responces with the exception of the aboveunless it's for a wrestling position or tanning salon. I would add, don't talk negatively about your past jobs, be prepared to answer how you might handle an irate customer/client, or how you might have had a similar situation and how did it turn out. I do all hiring at our organization except the therapists and I look for good eye contact, clear voice and communication skills and passioin for what you are going to do. Sounds like it's a perfect fit for you, good luck.
  • mills101
    mills101 Posts: 58
    Options
    haha honestly though, confidence will seal the deal if you have everything above in place.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Also never underestimate a strong hand shake, eye contact and don't fidget! Body language is important. I try to lean back during interviews as it appears more confident than leaning forward.

Be sure to ask some great questions such as:

1. If I were hired tomorrow, what is the first thing I can do to make an immediate impact?

2. What would you say is the biggest obstacle for success in this position?

3. Of some of the people that have held this position in the past, what are some characteristics you'd like to see repeated?

ALSO, the words you use make a different. Try to incorporate powerful statements into your vocabulary such as:

1. What I'm PROUD of...

2. The SIGNIFICANCE of my work...

3. The CONTRIBUTIONS I made...

4. The ACHIEVEMENTS I had...

5. The RESULTS I got...

6. The IMPORTANCE of my work...

7. The IMPACT...

And then add quantifiable results to the ends of these statements (Add figures,special projects, etc). Get ready to talk yourself up! At the end of the day the bottom line with any company is about MAKING MORE MONEY and BEING MORE EFFICIENT. You've got to show them how you're going to do either one of those things for them.

Good luck! Oh yeah, a genuine smile doesn't hurt either! :)
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Read the job description and have examples that go with each qualification. The questions in the majority of the interviews I've had have been directly related to the job description. For example, if it says "must be a team-player" come up with an example where you had a problem with a co-worker and how you resolved it. Also remember that the examples you use to answer the questions don't have to be the best example in the world. As someone who has been on both sides of the interview table, it's far more important to show that you were listening, you understand the question, and can answer it with an example related to the question instead of having an example that is out of this world. I'd rather have someone with a crappy example who actually answered the question than someone with a great example that had nothing to do with the question at all.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    thanks heaps for everyones tips!!! :)
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Research the company and ask a question or 2 pertinent to the company (shows you have interest)
    Also, I would see if you could get anyone to write you a quick letter of recommendation and bring it (even if you have to help draft it, haha)
    It's impossible to predict every question they'll have, but if they throw a curve ball, take a deep breath and don't feel like you have to answer right away, take a sec to think of a good response.
    Im sure others have good ideas too, but these seem to work for me!! Good luck!!

^^ THIS!! I was on an employability course just a couple of weeks ago, and this poster covers pretty much everything.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a software engineer, so it's not really related, but the part of the interview about soft skills or giving examples of your previous work experience should be pretty much identical. I read a really good book, and following that advice I landed a top tier job 1 year before graduation :p Here is a grid it advised to put together :

For each project/work experience on your resume, write something about :

- The most difficult part of that project/job.
    - An example of team work you did.
    - A difficult HR situation and what you did to resolve it.
    - The thing you are most proud of.
    - A situation where you had to learn something new to succeed.

And for each answer to that type of question, follow SAR : Situation - Action - Result. A very easy 3 part answer, that will show good communication skills and make sure you emphasize what you want the interviewer to hear.

Good luck!
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Definitely know all about the company, and talk about your love for fitness and how you are want to be a trainer (that will show them that they are making a good investment!).

Be confident but not cocky, look them in the eye, dress modestly but not frumpy, shake their hand and SEND THEM A THANK YOU NOTE AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW! Hand written notes are the best but emails work too. And, after a week or so if you havent heard from them, call em! :)

Knock em dead!
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Did you get the job?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have landed a job interview at club pink (a gym!) as a receptionist! I REALLY want this job, it would be like my dream job. I am in studying to become a Personal Trainer atm.

Just wondering if anyone has any good job interview tips?

The only places I have ever been interviewed so far is fast food restaurants so I have no idea what to expect, haha.

:)

Be on time. Better yet, be about fifteen minutes early. Don't be so much as 30 seconds late! Regardless of what you'll be wearing to work, wear businesslike clothing to the interview and be impeccably groomed. Make sure you look like you bothered to dress for the interview and didn't just show up in whatever you were wearing. Make sure you send the message that you care about the interview and will care about the job by looking nice and being on time. Know all you can about the company and the location so it looks like you really want to work for them in particular, and not just a gym in general, even if you really would settle for another gym. What people who are hiring really want, especially in a job like this is "soft skills." They can teach you all the skills unique to fitness work. They want to know you'll show up every day, on time, and get your work done while you're there. Since you'll be working with people, who can be...*kitten*, they'll want to know you can handle that as well.

Good luck!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Definitely know all about the company, and talk about your love for fitness and how you are want to be a trainer (that will show them that they are making a good investment!).

Be confident but not cocky, look them in the eye, dress modestly but not frumpy, shake their hand and SEND THEM A THANK YOU NOTE AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW! Hand written notes are the best but emails work too. And, after a week or so if you havent heard from them, call em! :)

Knock em dead!

Oh, yes! ALWAYS send a thank you note. Snail mail and hand written.