addicted to the scale

Options
Last time I started dieting I would weigh myself when I woke up, after each meal, and before I would go to bed. I know that is unhealthy but i can not resist the urge. Now this time around I have been able to only weigh myself every morning. I only o**** in on fridays here on my fitness pal. I really want to get over this and only weigh in one week. Seriously, every time I wake up in the morning I jump out of bed and basically run to my scale.

Replies

• akshayam29
    Options
    there is nothing wrong in checking ur weight every day.....but as soon you wake from bed and weight it obvously shows u less weight cozz of low blood circulation...try checking your weight when u finish your nature calls....thats the exact weight u weight .so one time a day is enuf....
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing.
  • lolamariem
    Options
    Personally I'd say only weigh yourself once a month and stick to measuring yourself every 3 weeks or so instead.
    scales are unreliable.
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I was driving myself crazy!!! The weight changes had me distracted and stressing which can lead to weight gain. I picked fridays a my day to weigh in and have been doing great for the last few weeks. Stop stressing your weight and just let it happen. You may not loose pounds but you may loose inches and thats what really matters.
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Weighing once a day keeps me on track to where I need to be. I weigh every morning after using the bathroom and showering.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on what the scale says. Water weight fluctuates. If you lose weight, it does not mean you lost fat/muscle, it may just be water weight dropping. Same goes for gaining. I've gained as much as 8 lbs in a day - it's just water retention, and it goes away the next day or so. So relax.

With that being said, weigh yourself once or twice a week, at the same time, and with the same level of hydration. Look for TRENDS over time.
  • Sherryh1234
    Options
    I weigh in once daily too, and it really helps me stay on track.
  • Brea_81
    Brea_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, too. I think it's a good way to stay on track. :) If the # is up 2lbs from the day before, I don't freak out and think I actually managed to gain that much in one day, but I do use it as motivation to make sure I make good choices, get enough water, etc.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Put the scale away and only take it out on weigh-in day? It might be difficult for a few days, but perhaps after that it will be easier to ignore? Out of sight, out of mind?
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong in checking ur weight every day.....but as soon you wake from bed and weight it obvously shows u less weight cozz of low blood circulation...try checking your weight when u finish your nature calls....thats the exact weight u weight .so one time a day is enuf....

Actually you dont weight less because of low blood circulation lol....you weigh less because you havent eaten in hours and your body has processed your food and usually they recommend you void before you weigh too to excrete any excess fluids and wastes :)
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    I LOVE to weigh myself everyday because it's not a bad thing. I track it using this website and I really enjoy it :-)

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Last time I started dieting I would weigh myself when I woke up, after each meal, and before I would go to bed. I know that is unhealthy but i can not resist the urge. Now this time around I have been able to only weigh myself every morning. I only o**** in on fridays here on my fitness pal. I really want to get over this and only weigh in one week. Seriously, every time I wake up in the morning I jump out of bed and basically run to my scale.

I do the same exact thing.. Everytime I get up .. It's awful
  • CleoBarker
    Options
    OMG i do that too, mostly because its a curiosity thing, (how much weight did I just gain from that bottle of water), but if it bothers you that youre obsessed with the scale, put it in a place in your house you dont normally walk through or in an unconvenient or distracting area, I put mine near the dogs kennel so when I see the scale, I'm usually too busy with my pup to think much about it. :)
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love my scale, total worshipper here. I think it is all in how you look at it. I weigh myself every morning and everytime I am in the bathroom. I know my weight fluctuates a ton so it doesnt bother me. I want to loose weight, but if I go up a little, oh well, I am doing this to get healthy, and I understand it is not gonna be over night. I took me several years to gain the weight, so I am cool with it taking several years to come back off. Lately it has been really exciting because I have been loosing just like I want to.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started.. everytime I used the bathroom the scale blinked at me saying ´use me use me´ LOL.. Now I have managed to weigh myself once a week, saturday mornings, no matter how much my scale flirts with me! :smooched: :smooched: