can you excercise right after breakfast??

Options
After a normal breakfast can you straight into bicycling or jogging or would a light snack then excercise then full meal work out better?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, but if you work out hard enough, you may see what you ate again!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't recommend it, especially for strenuous exercise. your stomach and abdomen can definitely have some complaints about jogging or running right after breakfast.
  • jroja021
    jroja021 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So not even a light snack would be advisable?
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and the exercise. For me I can eat a light breakfast like some fruit and jump on the treadmill, I walk for a while with a few sprints. If I am gonna circuit train or do plyometrics I have to do some fruit and a protein shake about 40 mins before or I will feel really sick, like I am gonna vom. Experiment a little.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and the exercise.

If only more people on this website responded this way.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I normally do a small snack in the morning before I workout but I wait at least 20 minutes after I have the snack to hit it
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I dont like to workout after eating. I usually wait a few hours after!!
  • LittleRedBoots
    LittleRedBoots Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the person, I feel nauseous just thinking about exercising after I eat and I usually wait a few hours but try to eat within 30minutes after.
    If you can work-out without any problems after a light snack I don't see why you shouldn't.
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really depends on the exercise, and the person. I read somewhere that in general it is better to work out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning because you end up getting more fat burn. This may, or may not be true, but unless I am going to be doing some reallly intense cardio in the morning I usually can hold off on eating until after I am finished with my work-out.

When I was training for a marathon a couple of years ago I started having a bowl of oatmeal prior to my weekly long runs but that was only when I knew I was going to be running longer than a couple of hours.
  • bobbyandthekid
    Options
    I love to eat before my workout. Small bowl of oats and an apple should stay down. Especially if you are hiking a trail like Koko Head Crater or running hills. An Orange before the run down is a great refresher!
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel too weak if I exercise on an empty stomach in the morning, so I usually have a banana before I set off.

But I definitely agree with the overall attitude in this thread that you should do what works for you. Your body will tell you.
  • BaldyLover
    Options
    I was always told that you shouldn't exercise straight after eating because you can get really bad cramps. In the case of swimming this is particularly true (I've suffered it a few times). If you're just walking after then that would be fine, but strenuous activity after eating I would avoid generally. Plus for the hour after exercise is nicknamed the golden hour, as this is when you burn off more calories from what you're eating than normal so I try to eat after exercise.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning and up at 5am so I don;t really feel hungry before I get to the gym. A couple of stiff drinks (double shot coffees) usually gives me enough of a kick. I then have breakfast after the workout. It works for me but it might be different for others.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    In the mornings when I do cardio I don't eat...low blood sugar means the workout is harder, but you'll use more from reserves (ie fat). I can tell a difference when I've eaten a couple of hours before I do cardio...I feel like I'm on steroids.

When I do strength training I eat about an hour beforehand. Cardio calls on the whole body to work...ST calls on..say, one muscle group. I would recommend eating before strength training.

Each person is different, but this is what works for me. I've revised my eating/workout relationship after talking to a good friend who is a bio chemist and health nut. It's gotten me great results and the best is yet to come.
  • Mrstlovely
    Options
    its advised that you workout at least one hour after a meal or snack. This way it wont come up during your workout. As well you have the fuel you need to get an effective workout.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I could do spinning or jogging after a healthy breakfast(porridge) but I couldn't do a high intensity exercise
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    After a normal breakfast can you straight into bicycling or jogging or would a light snack then excercise then full meal work out better?

When you eat, your heartrate rises because of the digestion process. Now imagine running on top of that and making your heart beat even harder, it will not thank you believe me.

Eat around two to three hours before you workout.