Is drinking calories bad?

Options
I see so often "I'd rather eat my calories than drink them". Well... I actually don't mind drinking my calories over eating them. Is there anything wrong with a primarily liquid diet? I don't do it specifically for weight loss.. I just prefer drinking over eating.

Replies

• purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    Bump
  • purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    Im the same way but mainly because im usually busy and this is convenient and quicker. I do understand that this habit can be harmful.
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How do you mean you prefer to drink your calories than eating them? That you prefer to drink powdered diet soups for food? Or sodas? Or you blend your food in a food processor to eat it? :)

I actually know a guy who loved his kebab and french fries meals so much that when he had some major dental work done and couldn't eat solid food, he put the kebab meat, the french fries and some soda in a blender and mixed it until he could drink it! Even he thought it was awful (thank god), but he finished it anyway. :)
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As long as your drinks are giving your body nutrition. I drink my lunch everyday with Shakeology. But with it I get my daily vitamins and nutrients.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    its convienent, but by the same token if you drink all your cals your missing out on the thermic effect i think its called, the thermic effect ( and i may be usung the wrong term here) is the energy your body uses to process the food and convert all the nutrients and stuff into forms your body can use.

Basically i believe aim for a balance i have protein shakes a few times a day but i dont use em to replace meals i still have a salad roll or a salad with them, theyre just my main sorce of protein, everything else i chew, im a snaker (:

having dribbled all that across your screen i wholey advocate doing what works for you and test drive differnet things(:
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Well, protein ingested as a liquid compared to a solid will digest faster..

There's a study related to a diet to reduce body fat done on boxers, where half had 6 meals a day, and the other 3 larger meals, all equalling the exact same protein, carbs, fats etc with the same actual foods.
    Those on the 3 larger meals lost more muscle mass than the ones doing 6 meals a day, because in poor choice the main protein source was given in liquid form, thereby they processed it a lot quicker, didn't absorb as much and didn't receive adequate protein intake to sustain muscle mass.

Just my 2 cents!
    I enjoy eating it all :D
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thinking that for many people chewing food gives a feeling of being more satisfied than drinking their nutrition. If you find your're satisfied and eating/drinking enough of the right foods to be healthy, what's the difference ? Focus on health and proper nutrition
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I suspect that most of the threads about drinking calories are actually referring to alcohol consumption but if you're able to get all the nutrients your body requires in smoothies etc and that's what you prefer go for it.

Personally I'd also rather chew my food (and I enjoy the social aspect of eating too). I figure it's not that many years till I get locked up in the old folks home and at some point may not have a choice, but until then..........:wink:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I see so often "I'd rather eat my calories than drink them". Well... I actually don't mind drinking my calories over eating them. Is there anything wrong with a primarily liquid diet? I don't do it specifically for weight loss.. I just prefer drinking over eating.

Here are some considerations:
    1. Chewing means it takes longer for you to eat, it gives your body time to realize that it's "full". Liquid diets would mean that you will probably be hungry after being done your "meal" for up to an hour. Your body won't necessarily recognize it as being food because of the difference in volume.

2. Most times food, in its natural state, contains nutrients that are more readily used by your body - it does take longer, however, but that time in digestion does mean that more calories are burned in processing the food (an extra bonus....LOL). With most shakes, the nutrients are not from a natural source, but are manufactured and/or chemically altered (or stripped from a natural source using chemical means). Also - you have to watch for high protein shakes if you're using them more than the recommended amounts - they can have a negative impact to your overall health.

3. If you get into a bind and are out and about and have no way of getting a drink quickly, it's not very convenient and without the daily attempts to balance your cals, you won't know where to go and how it will impact you for the day. What about social outings? Family events? How are you going to handle those and the pressure to eat with everyone else?

4. Are you proposing to go on them long term or only until you reach your health goals? If it's the latter, what happens when you go back to normal food? Your body won't be used to processing "food" as readily and you'll likely have some GI side effects from the change - plus see #3...same situation applies, you won't have learned how to eat properly and you'll likely be asking this question again.

5. There are quite a variety of flavours, but is that going to satisfy you over a longer period of times? You'll be missing out on the textures and flavours associated with the food.

Overall, my opinion is that as a supplement, the shakes/drinks are fine but to completely bypass food to use them may be a mistake. Everything in life is about balance, so if you enjoy them, drink them, but make sure that you're still learning more about what triggers you for eating and what you like and about healthy eating and most importantly about moderation in everything (including food sources :smile: )
  • GypsyWildflower
    Options
    How do you mean you prefer to drink your calories than eating them? That you prefer to drink powdered diet soups for food? Or sodas? Or you blend your food in a food processor to eat it? :)

I actually know a guy who loved his kebab and french fries meals so much that when he had some major dental work done and couldn't eat solid food, he put the kebab meat, the french fries and some soda in a blender and mixed it until he could drink it! Even he thought it was awful (thank god), but he finished it anyway. :)

I like to drink anything really. I don't go out and buy shakes, or powder mixes. I like water, juice, coffee, milk, Bolthouse Farms drinks, etc.. I like soups, and I do enjoy juicing fresh produce for fresh smoothies. I don't drink soda, or protein shakes (not specifically at least).
    1. Chewing means it takes longer for you to eat, it gives your body time to realize that it's "full". Liquid diets would mean that you will probably be hungry after being done your "meal" for up to an hour. Your body won't necessarily recognize it as being food because of the difference in volume.

I often do feel satisfied with fluids.. of course sometimes I feel like sinking my teeth into something.. I do like food of course, who doesn't? And when I want actual food I eat it. It's not like I keep myself from enjoying solids, I just tend to prefer liquids, and can often go days like that without noticing. I make sure I'm nourished, hence juicing, and drinks like those from Bolthouse Farms.
    2. Most times food, in its natural state, contains nutrients that are more readily used by your body - it does take longer, however, but that time in digestion does mean that more calories are burned in processing the food (an extra bonus....LOL). With most shakes, the nutrients are not from a natural source, but are manufactured and/or chemically altered (or stripped from a natural source using chemical means). Also - you have to watch for high protein shakes if you're using them more than the recommended amounts - they can have a negative impact to your overall health.

Like I said, I don't drink protein shakes, unless it's an added bonus from something I put in my juicer.
    3. If you get into a bind and are out and about and have no way of getting a drink quickly, it's not very convenient and without the daily attempts to balance your cals, you won't know where to go and how it will impact you for the day. What about social outings? Family events? How are you going to handle those and the pressure to eat with everyone else?

Again, I don't "keep" myself from solids. If I don't want to eat a solid during an outing, I'm not embarrassed, because it's not an eating disorder. It's a preference. If I decide to eat, I will. It doesn't hinder gatherings.
    4. Are you proposing to go on them long term or only until you reach your health goals? If it's the latter, what happens when you go back to normal food? Your body won't be used to processing "food" as readily and you'll likely have some GI side effects from the change - plus see #3...same situation applies, you won't have learned how to eat properly and you'll likely be asking this question again.

Like I said, it's not for losing weight. I've always been like this, just seems that as I get older I find myself eating less solids. This has nothing to do with dieting, or anything like that. My question is purely, is there anything unhealthy with a liquid diet. I don't really notice side effects now, but I wonder if it could hurt me. This isn't something that will stop once I reach my goal weight.. because again, it has nothing to do with my dieting. I appreciate all of your input, but I feel like you're misunderstanding how or why I consume more liquid.
    There's a study related to a diet to reduce body fat done on boxers, where half had 6 meals a day, and the other 3 larger meals, all equalling the exact same protein, carbs, fats etc with the same actual foods.
    Those on the 3 larger meals lost more muscle mass than the ones doing 6 meals a day, because in poor choice the main protein source was given in liquid form, thereby they processed it a lot quicker, didn't absorb as much and didn't receive adequate protein intake to sustain muscle mass.

I thank EVERYONE for their responses, and I will keep it all in mind!
    This makes sense. I'll have to look this up, thanks.
  • deltamoon_22
    Options
    Your body needs solid food for it to digest. On a liquid diet you cant possibly be getting all the nutrients, protein and fiber that your body needs. Even if you are juicing all your fruits and veggies, that is taking out all the fiber and protein and your body needs that. When you drink your "food" your brain doesn't recognize that you have eaten. I would suggest that you only drink water and eat actual food until you can train your body to recognize when you need actual food. It could be that you are just thirsty alot and that why you are drinking so much liquids. But you body needs solid food.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Well, protein ingested as a liquid compared to a solid will digest faster..

Just my 2 cents!
    I enjoy eating it all :D

Post the study.
  • m2kz
    m2kz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I reckon, its pretty simple... humans are meant to drink water, and eat food... Sure, the odd soup or smoothie is okay, but juices , coffee and carbonated beverages bath your teeth in acid (bad for your teeth, bacteria love acidity) , and they are often high in sugar.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i dont know if its good or bad... i just cant do it. i like food, feel better chewing it though i could drink soup everyday.

hope u get ur question answered though
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of my calories (in alcohol) and I'm doing fine.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Especially if you go primarily juice (not smoothie juice, but juice-juice) you could be missing out on soluble and insoluble fiber. You may also lose variety and sugars often are much higher.

Typically when people talking about drinking foods, it's about satiety. As long as you are meeting your nutrient needs (not just macros), feel satisfied, and are including solid foods, drinking your calories isn't a big deal.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I fully and completely understand everything you said. I prefer to drink my calories in the same way: no soda, no weirdo protein shakes or fake sugary juice-like-substances (i.e. koolaid, capri sun, crystal lite...eugh)... just normal drinks. Normal drinks that I drink because I like them.
    If you offered me a turkey burger or a strawberry banana smoothie for lunch, I'd take the smoothie please. I would rather have 4 cups of milky tea than a poptart, call me crazy. Also, if we are really similar in habit, I'm guessing you still eat solid food fairly regularly, maybe averaging at least 1 solid meal per day? I don't have any sound nutritional advice to give you, and I'm not gonna play internet nutritionist as you seem to have plenty of those...
    I will say I don't see any negative effects personally, and you seem to be doing fine as well. I think the reason people say not to drink high calorie beverages is because many people drink a smoothie in addition to a burger, and then wonder why such a healthy drink would cause them to gain weight. Unless your doctor says it's a problem, and you're getting the nutrients you need to thrive, do what you're inclined to do naturally.

Great now I want a smoothie.....
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    bump* i can never get enough calories.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that juicing is bad - if I can find it again I'll post it. It was written by a nutritionist I believe.

Full disclosure: I thought it was kind of B.S. that being said, you're asking so I thought I would share. :wink: The article stated that by juicing you're breaking the cell walls of the veggies/fruit and therefore you will not be getting that fiber nor will your body be using calories to digest the fibrous material. Some of the nutrition is also broken down during the act of blending (not sure how THAT would occur). The article continued but at this point I kind of started skimming....lol. If I can find it I will post.

To me, juicing is good for you. Sure, eating whole fruits and veggies would be better. I don't know about you, but I can't eat 3 pounds of veggies a day, but drinking them makes it easier. Let's face it, most of us won't get the variety from just eating, we rely on a lot of the same fruits and veggies everyday.

But, on the other hand, if you're mostly drinking other stuff like juice (I mean juice from a container, not juice you juice yourself) or tea I don't think it's a fabulous idea. Not because I'm against anything that's not water, just that most other drinks are just nutritionally deficient. Bottled juices are just too processed (no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise - they have to be to be shelf-stable) and usually full of sugar. Although you may get some anti-oxidents and such from tea, you aren't getting too much else. Alas, just my 2 cents! Too each their own :-)

Edit: I couldn't find the original article because it's been taken down because of all the ruckus it caused. Seriously...that's what the web-site said. However, I did find this article. It's certainly not as anti-juicing as the original article I saw was, but it still does provide some pros and cons to juicing. I think you may find the cons interesting, but you might want to look at them further.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-d-braunstein-md/juice-diets-and-fasts_b_1314407.html
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When you drink your "food" your brain doesn't recognize that you have eaten.

Wow! All those people on liquid nutrition by necessity must think they are dying of starvation! . There's some really helpful info in these forums, and then there are posts like this. You can get all of your nutritional needs met in liquid form. It's not ideal for the reasons mentioned, but it can be done.