Work out from home suggestions

Options
There are days when I physically can't get to the gym - they re open 10-10, and I'm working 8AM - 9 PM. I don't like letting myself off the hook for not exercising. Any one have suggestions for exercises in a small apartment? (My neighborhood isn't walkable). Please no running in place, but it would be great to get the number of leg lifts or jumping jacks or ham string curls and the order that people do them in. At the gym I can burn 300 calories in an hour work out.

Thanks!

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Look into Jillian Michaels 30 day shred--I have heard it is $7 at walmart or close to that on Amazon. It is about 25 min and I can burn 200 calories. I do all my workouts at home with video or the treadmill. I used to do Leslie Sansome's walking video--it works quite well too. Jillian's videos are my newest workout however. Good luck! You can do just about anything at home.:happy:
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym and do my treadmill while watching TV or my family has a Wii. It is rather expensive to get all the equipment, but we enjoy doing it and encourage each other with it!

Good luck!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    There's a 30 Day Shred group starting on Sept 1st if you're interested. That gives you time to get the video and join us if you'd like. It's open to everyone...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63971-new-30-day-shred-group

Also if you have a bike, you can buy a trainer at your local bike shop. It stabilizes your everyday bike so you can use it as a stationary bike for those days that it's too late or dark to get out or the weather isn't cooperating. I have one and I love it for those days. They're a bit expensive ($100-200 depending on model), but well worth the investment if you use it. :drinker:

Just wanted to add that debnu1 is pretty close about the cost of the 30 Day Shred. I got mine from Amazon for around $10. Walmart may actually have it cheaper :happy:
  • sedenne
    sedenne Posts: 4
    Options
    Jumping rope is very inexpensive if you have some place you can do this. It burns about 150 calories (or more depending on your weight) for 15 min.
    Good luck and don't work so hard!
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Check into Beachbody products.
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    I haven't hardly stepped foot in a gym since I started--- I walk, use an elliptical, do Mel B's totally fit and Biggest Loser Cardio Max :)
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I am in a 'non-walkable' apartment area as well ;) I started doing the P90X videos (I only have 5 of them). They are pretty intense but are some serious fat burners/ muscle builders. Just my .02 cents :D
  • proctor0828
    Options
    Check out workout DVD's, right now I'm doing p90x and I'm also waiting for my Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to come in the mail.
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Check out;
    www.rockbody.tv no equipment needed, just a couple of light dumbbells.
    :wink:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I don't spend money or have the time for a membership gym.:tongue: I use an incumbent bike...it's easier on the rump. I work out 60 minutes a day & burn over 500 calories in 1 sitting (no pun intended):laugh: You can get them used even at maybe Jerry's sports.:heart:
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know jumping rope burns a lot of calories. But I have not been to the gym in awhile. My husband broke his foot and cant really watch after our 4 kids so I have been working out in the house to Jillian Michaels. I am not sure what if you have cable but on comcast on demand her work outs are free and they are great. I move my coffee table to the side and get to work.

Good luck
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like step aerobics for the small apartment. Gets the heartrate up, don't need a lot of equipment (just a step and step workout video). No jumping on my downstairs neighbor's head. Also, my sister bought a set of those resistance bands for me as a present. They are great! Easy to store - can even take them on trips. I don't know how much a basic set of those run. Yoga is also great at home - no equipment needed. There are a lot of videos out there.