Make up 1300 Extra Calories

Options
First post here guys. Looking for some advice. My recommended daily calorie intake to lose 2-pounds a week is 1560. Today, after burning 800 calories in exercise I'm sitting at 2860. It was a bad day for me. So my question is this. Should I make the calories up by going down to around 1200 calories a day for four days? Or go down to 900 calories for two days. Keep in mind that I will eat a lot more than 900 calories, but will knock it down with exercising. Any thoughts or suggestions? I can't believe I went to Panda Express today. I've been doing so good. 24 pounds lost since Jan 1st. I'm 6'4" 220 FYI

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 2860 or did you eat 3660?

Also, if you are 6 4" there is no way you should be eating as little as 1560 anyway.
  • union410
    union410 Posts: 32
    Options

Also, if you are 6 4" there is no way you should be eating as little as 1560 anyway.

Well the exact number is 3860 for today, but I've knocked it down with some exercise. And I eat way more than 1560 each day, but I exercise everyday so I usually end up around 1300. It's been working thus far.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well the exact number is 3860 for today, but I've knocked it down with some exercise. And I eat way more than 1560 each day, but I exercise everyday so I usually end up around 1300. It's been working thus far.

At your size, your total expenditure (calories out) for the say is probably at least 3500 if you include exercise - so you are probably no worse than at mainenance for the day. So do not worry about it and start afresh tomorrow.

I would suggest however looking into your TDEE and BMR to get a better idea of what you should be aiming at - 1300 (and 1560) net is too low for a sustainable weight loss.
  • union410
    Options

At your size, your total expenditure (calories out) for the say is probably at least 3500 if you include exercise - so you are probably no worse than at mainenance for the day. So do not worry about it and start afresh tomorrow.

I would suggest however looking into your TDEE and BMR to get a better idea of what you should be aiming at - 1300 (and 1560) net is too low for a sustainable weight loss.

My BMR is 2184. I just looked up my TDEE and it's 3767. I've never looked up TDEE before. Can you tell me the difference between my BMR and TDEE? I wonder why MFP recommended 1560/day. And why has it been working so far?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

My BMR is 2184. I just looked up my TDEE and it's 3767. I've never looked up TDEE before. Can you tell me the difference between my BMR and TDEE? I wonder why MFP recommended 1560/day. And why has it been working so far?

Your BMR is your Basic Metabolic Rate - its basically the energy you expend if in a coma all day. Your TDEE is the total amount of energy you expend, including daily life and exercise. You should not eat under your BMR generally. If you have more than 50lb to lose, its OK to set a deficit of about 1000 calories (2lb a week) which would give you about 2700 to eat a day.

What activity assumption did you use for th TDEE?

You have been losing weight because you are eating below your TDEE - the problem is, eating with that much of a deficit will cause your metabolism to slow eventually and is just not sustainable and who wants to eat 1560 when they can eat twice that and still lose weight? From a nutrient perspective, a guy should really be getting at least 1800 calories.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    First post here guys. Looking for some advice. My recommended daily calorie intake to lose 2-pounds a week is 1560. Today, after burning 800 calories in exercise I'm sitting at 2860. It was a bad day for me. So my question is this. Should I make the calories up by going down to around 1200 calories a day for four days? Or go down to 900 calories for two days. Keep in mind that I will eat a lot more than 900 calories, but will knock it down with exercising. Any thoughts or suggestions? I can't believe I went to Panda Express today. I've been doing so good. 24 pounds lost since Jan 1st. I'm 6'4" 220 FYI

Most of us will have days when we go well above our cal limit.

Don't worry about compensating by eating less next days.
    Just get back to the correct calorie limit. One day above your cals is not going to increase your weight that much (remember, one pound of fat is 3500 calories !!)
  • union410
    Options

Your BMR is your Basic Metabolic Rate - its basically the energy you expend if in a coma all day. Your TDEE is the total amount of energy you expend, including daily life and exercise. You should not eat under your BMR generally. If you have more than 50lb to lose, its OK to set a deficit of about 1000 calories (2lb a week) which would give you about 2700 to eat a day.

You have been losing weight because you are eating below your TDEE - the problem is, eating with that much of a deficit will cause your metabolism to slow eventually and is just not sustainable and who wants to eat 1560 when they can eat twice that and still lose weight? From a nutrient perspective, a guy should really be getting at least 1800 calories.

Thank you for all of this great input. I think my issue is that I exercise too much then. Because I eat over 2,000 calories a day, but burn it off. Sometimes I'll play basketball and not get home until 10pm and my daily calories are at 1200 because of the calories burned playing basketball, and I've heard that you shouldn't eat late because your body is trying to shut down. I'm guessing I should just eat more calories before physical activity.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Overtraining.
    Wait...I just replied to your other thread!
    =D
  • union410
    Options
    Overtraining.
    Wait...I just replied to your other thread!
    =D

What do you mean by overtraining? I'm burning too many calories by all the exercising?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Sarauk, did I ever tell you that you're awesome? Every time I get to a thread and want to say something, you've already said everything I wanted to say ;)
  • union410
    Options
    Sarauk, did I ever tell you that you're awesome?

I agree!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it. Think of it as a cheat day and get back on track tomarrow. I had way more cals then I should have on Easter (not candy lol) who can say no to mamma's easter turkey dinner? ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk, did I ever tell you that you're awesome? Every time I get to a thread and want to say something, you've already said everything I wanted to say ;)

:flowerforyou: Happens to me when you post first!! :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thank you for all of this great input. I think my issue is that I exercise too much then. Because I eat over 2,000 calories a day, but burn it off. Sometimes I'll play basketball and not get home until 10pm and my daily calories are at 1200 because of the calories burned playing basketball, and I've heard that you shouldn't eat late because your body is trying to shut down. I'm guessing I should just eat more calories before physical activity.

As long as you do do not have an adverse reaction to eating late - there is no negative issue re weight loss with eating late. Its 11pm now where I live and I just ate dinner and will probably have a snack before I go to bed in about an hour!!

I am not sure if you play basketball just for fun or to burn calories. If it is the latter, then I would decrease your activity. If it is the former and you do not want to reduce the amount you do, then try to eat more in the day and eat up to whatever time you want. I used to have the same issue when didI jujitsu (alas no more :frown: ) - I just kept calorie dense snacks in the car to eat on te way (seeds, nuts, protien shakes). Also, if you are burning that many calories - feel free to have a calorie laden starbucks or ice-cream!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wonder why MFP recommended 1560/day. And why has it been working so far?

Because you selected an activity level that was probably not correct, and then you selected a weight loss goal, and that math made 1560.

And it's been working so far because there is always a lag time between old eating level (which may be much higher than MFP estimates it may have been) and your current NETTING level.

But keep it up, and you'll have slowly diminishing weight loss as your metabolism slows down. You still may keep losing, depending on how badly under your BMR you net.
    Just much slower.

You could lose the same amount eating more, and at some point, losing more than you would eventually get if you continue this route.

This explanation for the common woman reaching 1200, but the math remains the same no matter what level.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales?month=201204
  • CoderGal
    Options
    As long as you do do not have an adverse reaction to eating late - there is no negative issue re weight loss with eating late.
    OK So here's my opinion on this. I'm one of those crazy obsessive scale jumpers who managed to break her scale a few days ago, perhaps because of over use :P I weigh myself so often not because I'm worried about weight, but I'm curious to how things affect my body. I had periods where I drank lots of water to see what would happen, ate lots at night to see what would happen etc. When I was doing my nightly test, I always woke up heavier. And no, I wasn't gaining weight. I think that's why so many people say that eating at night is bad when in my opinion, it isn't. Why? Because I still averaged the same weight...I was just weighing myself in the morning at a point in time where there wasn't such a long period between digestion, so obviously I weighed more then. That being said I generally didn't have as high a weight in the day. So really, it all works out. :drinker: So the only point to not eating at night is so you can tell yourself you're slightly lighter in the mornings.

That being said, I hate eating at night, I just can't sleep on a full stomach like babies can lol.
  • union410
    Options

As long as you do do not have an adverse reaction to eating late - there is no negative issue re weight loss with eating late. Its 11pm now where I live and I just ate dinner and will probably have a snack before I go to bed in about an hour!!

I am not sure if you play basketball just for fun or to burn calories. If it is the latter, then I would decrease your activity. If it is the former and you do not want to reduce the amount you do, then try to eat more in the day and eat up to whatever time you want. I used to have the same issue when didI jujitsu (alas no more :frown: ) - I just kept calorie dense snacks in the car to eat on te way (seeds, nuts, protien shakes). Also, if you are burning that many calories - feel free to have a calorie laden starbucks or ice-cream!!

So I'm going to try to calcualate my body fat% today. But let me see if I have this straight.

My BMR = 2,184
    TDEE = 3,194 when exercising 3-5 times a week.

So according what I've read thus far I should ALWAYS eat at least 2,184 but below 3,194 to lose weight? I read that I should do 20% below my TDEE, so that would put me around 2500. So as long as I exercise 3-5x a week, always eat at least 2500 cals?

I know that to get it more accurate I'll need my bodyfat percentage, but is this a good rule so far?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    So I'm going to try to calcualate my body fat% today. But let me see if I have this straight.

My BMR = 2,184

So according what I've read thus far I should ALWAYS eat at least 2,184 but below 3,194 to lose weight? I read that I should do 20% below my TDEE, so that would put me around 2500. So as long as I exercise 3-5x a week, always eat at least 2500 cals?

I know that to get it more accurate I'll need my bodyfat percentage, but is this a good rule so far?
    Yep, you got it! I'm not sure what their 3-5 times a week exercises consist of though (if it's a hour of intense workout or what).
  • union410
    Options

My BMR = 2,184

Yep, you got it! I'm not sure what their 3-5 times a week exercises consist of though (if it's a hour of intense workout or what).

This is crazy. My wife and I have been eating way too less. Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

My BMR = 2,184

This is crazy. My wife and I have been eating way too less. Thanks!

If you have a normal weekly routine, you can indeed estimate that TDEE better based on something other than 5 levels you hope is right. Because as comment above says, what are they assuming for length of workouts, and intensity at that matter.

Here is more exact way, but it requires homework, but it also comes with cheating spreadsheet to make it easier.
    Again, no eating back exercise calories because it's included. Protecting the BMR. Feeding the workouts, why else do them except for body improvement, and maximize the deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method