Gaining at 1200 cal limit?

Options
Is it possible? Im gaining back weight lost. Trying to say at my limit of 1200cals. My food diary is open. All opinions are appreciated!

Info: 5'4"
starting: 190Lbs
lost: 11Lbs
gained: 4Lbs
current: 184 lbs

Exercise:
2-3 days/ week brisk walking
work= Some physical activity as Im a Sales/ Customer service Rep at a mall.

Replies

• tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to eat too few calories.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is not open.
  • erh12275
    erh12275 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Didn't look at your diary...but, I am betting it is water weight. I had a 6lb gain one week and freaked out. It was TOM and 3 days later those 6 and one more was gone. Remember to gain "actual" weight you would need to eat an extra 2500 cals in a week plus your reduction each day back.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try to up your calories a bit.:bigsmile: Your food diary isn't open so I can't see what you're eating but if you are eating 1200 calories and burning calories with exercise, your net could be and probably are too low.:noway: I had to up mine to start losing again. I hit a plateau. Hang in there. There is a lot of trial and error.. What works for one may not work for another.:flowerforyou:
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A pound is actually 3500 calories not 2500.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? I have recently upped my calories, and lost over a pound last week eating between 1800-2000 calories. It is possible that you are eating too few calories.

Read through this post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    need to see some numbers. your diary isnt open.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    need to open your diary hon
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Sorry guys! NOW OPEN :D
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's water weight from sodium. That's not fat gain, but it moves the scale in the wrong direction all the same. You can turn on sodium so you can see it on your food diary. Aside from that, I'd say give the extra calories several weeks before you make any changes.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would say it is water weight. You are eating at subway which has processed deli meat that are HIGH in sodium. Track you sodium. It is an option in your food diary settings.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Real quick...
    Add Sodium tracking to your diary.
    You are taking in too much sodium.
    You need to cut back on fat intake. You are consistently going over fat limit. Consuming a lot of fat will make you fat. Also gives you low energy levels.
    Almost every time you exercise, you eat back the calories you burned. Don't eat back those calories.
    You hardly stay at 1200 calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Im gaining back weight lost. Trying to say at my limit of 1200cals. My food diary is open. All opinions are appreciated!

Info: 5'4"
    starting: 190Lbs
    lost: 11Lbs
    gained: 4Lbs
    current: 184 lbs

Exercise:
    2-3 days/ week brisk walking
    work= Some physical activity as Im a Sales/ Customer service Rep at a mall.

It is possible. First time doing this brisk walking compared to before?

Your body being asked to do more physical exercise now, wants to store more glucose, which always has water with it.

500 calories of carbs stored as glucose/water is 1 lb. So very possible.

Keep it up, body trying to improve.

Problem, did you select Sedentary activity level because you thought it would help you lose faster? You are not sedentary with your job - Lightly Active or Active depending on job time on feet and moving around for it. I'd say Active, because you aren't going to count those slow walks.

Don't shoot yourself in the metabolism by selecting wrong activity level, and only select 1lb weekly. You'll still lose more with that great daily activity though.

That much extra though, probably some sodium retention. Also the difference in body states between weigh ins. Best case last weigh-in, worst case this weigh-in.

Additional tip. Slow walking less than 3mph is just like your other daily activity - mainly fat burning usage. And that is exactly where your deficit should come from.

Good job feeding your workouts, but skip feeding the walking at slower the 3mph - unless that is up an incline and you have good heart beat and hard breathing. That is just more fat burning you don't need to feed.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'll cut down on carbs..bread.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback... this is what I have so far (moving forward)
    Added Sodium to watch
    Less sodium intake
    Less Carbs intake
    Adjust profile settings
    more Cardio/ strength training...

I hope I see improvement... but most of all thank you for all your advices Pals!!!! .
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Find your BMR and don't eat below that. See how that works for you.
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Find your BMR and don't eat below that. See how that works for you.

^^^ yeah that, and if you fall below your BMR with exercise DO eat back those calories.
  • FishingFan123
    FishingFan123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In chemistry, where sodium (salt) goes (food in your rmouth), water follows (kidneys will hold onto water).

From the CDC:

Top Sources of Sodium in the diet:

Breads and rolls
    Cold cuts and cured meats
    Pizza
    Poultry
    Soups
    Sandwiches
    Cheese
    Pasta dishes
    Meat dishes
    Snacks
    To reduce sodium in your diet:

Read Nutrition Facts labels when shopping to find the lowest sodium options of your favorite foods.
    Eat more fruits and vegetables, either fresh, frozen (without sauce), or canned (with no salt added).
    Limit processed foods high in sodium. When foods are processed, a sodium solution is injected into the food (NOTE: I am presuming they do this as sodium is a food preservative - think back in the old sailing days, salt pork was a mainstay food on ships).
    When eating out, request no salt be added to your meal.

http://www.cdc.gov/salt/

Current dietary guidelines for Americans recommend that adults in general should consume no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. At the same time, consume potassium-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables. However, if you are in the following population groups, you should consume no more than 1,500 mg of sodium per day, and meet the potassium recommendation (4,700 mg/day) with food.

You are 51 years of age or older.
    You are African American.
    You have high blood pressure.
    You have diabetes.
    You have chronic kidney disease.

Probably way more than you wanted to know about salt, lol, but bottom line, we all need to read the nutrition label.

HTH
  • CleoBarker
    Options
    hey girl!
    I started at 153 pounds and am down to about 147-148 range thus far. I consulted my nutritionist before starting. Since I have a sedentary job and work crazy hours I was told to take in 1200-1500 cals a day and to work out at a moderate intensity or higher for one hour everyday focusing on cardio. Being that you're ~180lbs 1500 is the absolute minimum for you unless a doctor is monitoring you weekly or bi-weekly. To help with the water-weight drink green teas throughout the day and to give you an extra boost, I highly recommend the GNC Vitapaks. They have CLA which REALLY helped me and plus the multivitamin and calcium is all there, and best of all the Energy pills! I took one in the morning with my coffee and one at noon/before a workout, and it really helped me push through the "i dont wanna" moods. Also I did the HCG diet (the 1200 cal version, and they have a 1500 version as well) for about a week and a half and I dropped some weight fast and haven't gained it back. It gave me a boost I needed. If you take in too few calories your body will think that youre on the brink of starvation and will store extra blubber to ensure you dont die. ( Evolution can be a cruel demon :P) So to counteract that, eat 5-7 small delicious meals a day to signal that "no, im not going to starve, body" I would keep apple slices and Cocoa powdered almonds in my purse and take a "bathroom break" to sneak it on on my shift =^-^= I'm crafty like that. Best of luck to you chicka, we all struggle with the same thing :)
    ~K
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Ok so I appreciate all the feed back... But what I am willing to try:
    watch my sodium intake
    watch my carbs
    add green tea
    workout 60min minimum atleast 3 days a week
    try to up my intake between 1200-1350 (ill give this a try)

Ill post updates!
    Thanks again Pals!
  • pinkmander
    pinkmander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello from sunny scotland!
    Yes i am in total agreement with those who say water retention.
    Your sodium/salt intake is disproportionately high, mid week.
    Cut back on all processed foods, they have hidden nasties.
    Drink loads of water to help your kidneys flush out sodium, no more than 2 liters a day tho,
    It will balance out and you ll get a good loss soon