Love Dogs? Then Do Good While Working Out

Options
This post isn't a question but a suggestion. I work for a humane society, and I would like to encourage fellow MFPers to consider volunteering to walk adult dogs/large puppies at your local shelter.

Our adult dog walkers log anywhere from 2-6 hours when they come out to volunteer, and I cannot even imagine the miles they walk! Yes, they get a little muddy, but they also are rewarded with unconditional love from animals grateful to have a little time out of their kennel.

Everyone loves small puppies and wants to play with them, but most of the older dogs at the shelter where I work have been with us for a while (we don't euthanize) and they are in a kennel sometimes 23 hours a day. Volunteering to walk adult dogs/older puppies, even if it's just a hour or two a week, is a win-win for both you and the dogs. In addition to the exercise time, socialization with humans is so important for them to be adopted!

NOTE: Do call ahead to your shelter and ask their "rules" for volunteering. We have a core group of volunteers who go through orientation and receive training (if they come on a regular basis) but we will allow any adult to come out periodically, but there are a few guidelines.

THANK FOR CONSIDERING THIS ACTIVITY.....I can testify first-hand what a positive difference it makes for shelter animals to have this socialization and exercise!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting idea.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look into it!
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a good idea. Thanks.
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I'd love to do this, sadly Londoners are all so desperate to walk dogs (every few people have them due to the lack of gardens) that Battersea Dogs Home have a waiting list to join their dog walking programme!!

If anyone knows any other dog charities in London that need help do let me know as I would jump at the chance.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i need to do this :)
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for considering!

Sarah, I know very little about London, but surely there is more than one shelter/rescue there?!? Maybe a close-by "suburb?" Just some thoughts. I hope you will find one to help!
  • Showcats
    Showcats Posts: 32
    Options
    I went to a fundraiser for our Humane Society last night and decided to be a volunteer. I am going to sign up this week and am really looking forward to it!
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for the suggestion. There's only 1 shelter where I live but it's only a 5 minute drive from my house and I take my own dog for a 30-60 minute run every night with my husband so I could easily do this. Barnaby would love it too because he's such a sociable little thing and an 'only child'. I can't believe I haven't thought of doing this before! :)

Natalie.
  • juliee274
    Options
    That's awesome, Natalie....I am sure they would love to have you help out!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just emailed my local humane society about this. What a great concept. At the very least when I get back to the States I am going to try to adopt this approach. If I'm going to go for a jog or a walk, why not take a fuzzy buddy along with me? :)
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very cool idea, I'll definatly look into it .... Thanks!
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great idea.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    awsome idea
    my SO always tells me how much he would like to have a dog, but we have no room in our apartment,
    I just have contacted local sheletr to ask about walking the dogs :)
  • juliee274
    Options
    I don't know about other shelters, but at our shelter we offer "respite" fostering where someone, once "approved", can take out a dog for a day or long weekend. I would ask about this option, as well!
  • jazzhatch
    Options
    I will start doing this tomorrow.