spinach

Options
pgfatty
pgfatty Posts: 43 Member
hi

i must admit that spinach is not one of my favorite foods ( have tried it maybe twice) but i want to start eating healthily so .....
anyone have easy, tasty spinach receipes......

thanks all

Replies

• SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I only like it on its own if it's raw in a salad, but I do add ready chopped frozen spinach to most dishes... curry,chillis, on home made pizza,vege tartlets ( filo pastry filled with red onion,portobello mushroom and spinach)you can't taste it much once it is mixed in.
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    I add spinach to smoothies. Yeah, it sounds gross, but you cant taste it. I've got my Mom doing it now too.
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with onion, fresh garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes and accent!

Add some Tilapia cooked the same way and VIOLA!! Yummo
  • havamazz
    havamazz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for spinach but I just put it in everything! Sandwiches, salads, pizzas, omelettes/scrambled eggs, lasagne, carbonara etc. If eating it by itself I wil put it in a pot of simmering water with heaps of garlic.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have it in salads, omelettes, everything

I recipe I love is,

fry some garlic, add cherry tomatoes, spinach and pine nuts, and add cooked pasta, and add some chunks of goats cheese, its yummy
  • Rubyinthesand2012
    Options
    in a deep casserole dish or similar (i use a 18cm souffle dish as its nice and deep)

Half fill with spinach then add a clove of garlic (finely chopped), on top of that add a layer of sliced mushrooms and a little butter, then slice up a chicken breast and layer on the top cover with foil and bake in the oven for around 20-25 mins at around gas 6, until chicken is cooked, Sprinkle around 30g of low fat grated cheese on top of the chicken and then cover with fresh bread crumbs (i use slice of wholemeal bread which ive put in the blender to turn to bread crumbs) and put back into the oven for around 5 mins until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are golden.

the above feeds 1 but obviously quantities & size of casserole dish can be altered to feed more.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Crustless Greek Spinach & Feta pie:

http://greek.food.com/recipe/low-carb-crustless-greek-spinach-pie-118977

Or if you have more calories/carbs to spare then make the 'real' version and add filo pastry.

Low fat/Low calorie Creamy Spinach dip (For toasted pitta bread/ cucumber, carrots, celery sticks)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_spinach_dip.html
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Green Monster Smoothie!!!!!!

Tis the most delicious drink in the entire world!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Try finishing sauted spinach with some vinegar or lemon juice. It takes away that unpleasant taste for me. Another suggestion is to try some other greens. We like chard better than spinach.
  • pgfatty
    pgfatty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the receipes.

will give it a try and hopefully enjoy......
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    Green Monster Smoothie!!!!!!

Tis the most delicious drink in the entire world!

Yum! That's usually what I have for breakfast
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is fresh spinach tossed with low-fat poppy-seed dressing and topped with roasted almond slivers and mandarin orange slices...soooo good! I also make lasagna with cooked, drained spinach in the place of beef...very tasty and a healthy alternative to red meat.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I add it to my pasta, pizza, omelets, etc. The possibilities are numerous! :)
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I looooove spinach! My two favorite ways to use spinach are as follows:

1. Green smoothie (10 oz. water, 1-2 handfuls of spinach, 1/8 c. fresh basil, 1/3 bunch parsley, 1/2 banana, 1/2 orange, 1/2 c. frozen pineapple - blend)

2. Salad: 1-2 handfuls spinach mixed with 1-2 handfuls mixed baby greens, 1/4 c. walnuts, 3 large strawberries cut up, chicken and 2 tbsp. lemon tahini dressing
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I add spinach to smoothies. Yeah, it sounds gross, but you cant taste it. I've got my Mom doing it now too.

I do this too, sounds and even looks funny depending on what you mix it w/but I love & you cannot taste the spinach.
    I normally do, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 handfuls of spinach (if in the am a cup or 2 of frozen fruit) and a cup of unsweetened almond milk! yum & very healthy!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I just made saag that came out to about 250 cals per person, but would probably be less if you cut out the feta I substituted for paneer.

6 cups of spinach sauteed till wilted
    3 tablespoons of labne (available at most lebanese and indian grocery stores)
    2 table spoons of red curry paste.

We added sheeps milk feta to it instead of paneer