Here we go then! Hiiii...

Options
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself, Im a 34 yo Male, who had a medical in November 2011, it was a scary one, the one where the docs tell you to get with it, or lose it.

My BP was 171/101 on the worst reading, my weight was a bloated 253lbs, although I had just come back from an all inclusive holiday, my colesterol was higher than it should be.

Recommendations were to eat healthy, excercise regularly, and take some omega 3.

I have lost 20lb since then, I was lower at christmas but sank back into old ways for some reason as I lost motivation.

Im back on it now, and hopefully realise that its a LIFEstyle change not a 6 month change.

I check my own blood pressure and its down to 140/84 at the last reading last week. Hopefully should be even lower now.

My aim is to be healthy have a new arrival on the way, so that if anything will get me going as the days pass.

Have also been doing a pressup program a few weeks back, started off doing 20 consequtive in the test and am now up to 60 (last night) without stopping. The program is to get to 100, and im now even starting to believe that possible after believing it to be impossible.

My shorter term goal is to get to 210lbs I think that would leave me being healthy, and feeling good. If necessary I will kick on from there even further, but if I set my target too high I think I would collapse too early.

I use endomondo to track my exercises so feel free to add me on there too.

Please try to keep me motivated as I find it very difficult to stay on track once I start to feel good about myself I get the confidence to let my standards slip.

I feel likened to an alcoholic, who is great without alcohol, but give him a taster and they are gone, thats me with food or unhealthy food at least. I just cannot manage my portion sizes. I feel ashamed of myself sometimes.

See you guys around anyway

Mark

Replies

• greigallan
    Options
    Good on you mate. Keep up the good work. When ever you feel that you are low remember what it was like before, that normally does it for me.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! Please don't feel ashamed. We've all had setbacks but I understand how you feel. I've been there, done that. Focus on the fact that you've lost 20lbs and you can do it again.
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    INteresting my BP was 120/66 last week... appears that this keeping busy and working out is having a very good effect on reducing my unhealthy lifestyle.

Also my press up exhaustion test led to 75 consequtive press ups, followed closely by 60, then 50. The following day I only managed 68 but this was still a good effort after no rest, and working hard decorating, all this on reduced calories for my BMR.

Ive lost some nice lbs, and more importantly am happier with my body physique, have 8 weeks technically until my baby is here, due date.

Its working out well.

I saw the fitbit at a gadget show yesterday, it was small and interesting but I think I will pass on using one, I think they pre-occupy your time rather than motivate. Im not into doing strange things... my iphone pre-occupys more than enough of my time!
  • markyb1977
    Options
    Add me... still need motivation!! x
  • UpdatedMike
    Options
    Congratulations on your efforts to return to a healthy lifestyle. I, too had blood pressure problems. I was in the ER just over two months ago with a blood pressure of 184/114. I thought I was having a stroke, literally. That day I quite booze, soda and began to eat healthy. I exercise most every day, up to two hours each day. I log everything I eat on MFP. I'ts become quite an addiction but obviously a good one. I was about 210 at my worst and today have dropped under 180. My blood pressure was 90/58 last week and I actually had to stop one of my medications (per Dr. order of course) and I think I may have to stop the second one.

So, you will be rewarded for your efforts. Your health will thank you and I'd be willing to promise that after a couple months of exercise and logging what you eat you'll never look back. Welcome, friend.
  • markyb1977
    Options
    Cheers, I have just brought a fitbit after saying I wasnt, I will wait for it to be delivered, which could take a couple more days, but I think it could be the motivation to remind me im having a lazy day, it can be all too eacy sometimes to just do nothing.

Something is always better than nothing...

Gald your able to stop the medication with regards to blood pressure. thats good news!!! :-)

Lets keep each other motivated, I want to be fit and healthy for my new arrival in June. It will most certainly keep me fit.

Also, I got to 80 press ups two days ago, and whacked out a further 260 last night for good measure.

I can go through the pain now, and push on, surprising myself with how many pressups I can do!... Quite amazing the difference over time!