Low calorie proteins?

Options
Working a bit harder to up my protein today. The issue seems to be eating more protein without it upping the calories too much. Anyone have any good tips? What protein high foods do you eat?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and cottage cheese are your best bets, and edemame beans provide good protein to calorie ratio.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yep, edamame will give you 24 g of protein and only 150 calories in a 1.5-cup serving, which beats most high-protein energy bars calorie-wise.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Fish and chicken. Unleash your inner carnivore! More ideas here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/243833-a-list-of-low-calorie-high-protein-foods/
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I eat lean white chicken breast meat (no skin) and prawns.

If you like seafood prawns have masses of protein and hardly any cals

Tuna fish in water or brine.

egg whites as suggested

Never heard of the funny beans

Tim
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I tried to get edamame beans this morning but they didn't have any in!!! So its prawns and chicken salad for lunch!
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on the protein.... sacrifice carbs. Your muscles will thank you! (imo)
  • Weathers58
    Options
    Don't skimp on the protein.... sacrifice carbs. Your muscles will thank you! (imo)

I agree I take a protein suppliment as I'm marathon training right now. Protein sorts the aches out quickly

also if you carb up do it in the morning and eat simple greams (veg and protein) later in the day.
  • Weathers58
    Options
    dont eat greams cos I've no idea what they are eat GREENS :smile:
  • Givemewings
    Options
    Thanks weathers58 lol!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Beans!

Quinoa salads are yummy and full of protein, I use it instead of pasta and stuff sometimes.
  • Givemewings
    Options
    Beans!

Quinoa salads are yummy and full of protein, I use it instead of pasta and stuff sometimes.

I had wondered about quinoa...will definitely try it!
  • Givemewings
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/243833-a-list-of-low-calorie-high-protein-foods/

Thanks...this is great...had no idea cottage cheese was high in protein!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast, fat free greek yogurt, and 90% (or higher)ground beef are my main "real food"sources. I supplement with whey protein bars and whey powder when needed.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Fish, shellfish & chicken!
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    shrimp!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Thanks...this is great...had no idea cottage cheese was high in protein!

sadly high in fat and sodium too .. but I do love me some cottage cheese.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I just found a protein drink this weekend at walmart when I was picking up some protein bars. It is the EAS advantEDGE. It was on the other side of the aisle with all the Atkins and low carb stuff. I normally wouldn't have paid any attention to the specifically low carb stuff (all things in moderation) but they had put a little sticker next to it on the shelf that said 110 calories per serving. So you get 17grams of protein for only 110 calories. I drank it this morning with my breakfast of fat free greek yogurt (vanilla) w/ fresh strawberries. Nice filling breakfast for only 265 calories but 25 grams of protein.