Going to start Couch to 5K.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    I started the NHS version (same name, same concept, but slightly different timings from the original/official I think) in the gym on a treadmill (since I was going!) upon which I had only been doing brisk walking until that point on Wednesday...it was such a shock to start jogging, and today I did day three in my local park, another shock (completely different kettle of fish to the treadmill!)...but I did it! I think I'm going to repeat this week one, as I'm seriously obese and it's putting a lot of pressure on my joints and shins...I have the flimsiest pair of "trainers" bought for £7 out of a catalogue when my old pair bust and I was desperate. Within the next couple of weeks I'm going to my local running shop to get my gait tested and my first pair of real running shoes, as despite it all I've really enjoyed this first week of the programme. It was hard, yes, but I pushed through it and feel so accomplished that I've done it...I mean seriously, all in all I've run for a total of 24 minutes this week...the last time I ran properly was when I was 15 in secondary school being whipped on by the PE teacher! Never thought I'd be so thrilled by running to invest in proper shoes for it back then, yet here I am! Go for it, I'm sure you'll love it once you're out there!
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to convince my mom to do this... Maybe I'll show her this thread. Thanks!
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My wife and I did that yesterday (went to the local running store and got fitted). Unfortunately, I had just bought a pair of running shoes about 3 weeks ago and it turns out that they aren't the right kind for me. :(

Good news I got the right kind now and I'm excited to get back to my workouts again. I'm on week 5, day 2 of C25k.
  • stevem_uk
    Options
    Well done to all of you, I started running several years ago and this sort of guidance was not around. It would have helped me a lot at the time, I went in on my own guesswork, thankfully survived without injuries but more by luck than anything else. The running has proved addictive, I am now running Marathons, it may sound impossible to you all today, but believe me it will come and suddenly you realize you are a runner. If I were to pass on any lessons, get yourselves some good footwear. and do not rely on running alone to lose weight. healthy eating first and last is what matters,
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I start week 3 tomorrow. I love it! I use the C25K phone app from Cool Running and it works great. You shouldn't have any problems if you are already doing 30DS but just remember there is nothing wrong with repeating a week. Make sure you have a Good pair of comfortable running sneakers. Good Luck to You! :flowerforyou:
  • jeanbedford
    Options
    she should! i am 48 and did this program last March with my son, we both continue to run and am currently signed up for a half marathon in the fall!
  • Kim1118
    Kim1118 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a while and after reading this thread I am motivated to start TOMORROW! I really think running will really help me reach my fitness goals. Thanks for the boost of confidence.
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thats great! I've never been one for running in the past but I'm loving c25k so far.
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 today and i thought run for 3 mins yeah right, but i did it and it's such a rush when you do complete a day good luck to everyone already on their journey and all those just starting!!!
  • Forscythe87
    Options
    Just finished Week 4 Day 1 yesterday with my girlfriend. Its certainly a challenge for those of us that have been inactive for an extended period of time, but pushing yourself and finishing makes you feel terrific.
  • BrandyHuff
    Options
    I am on week 3 and I did not think that I would be able to run for 3 minutes straight, but I breezed right through it! It really does work! My 12 year old daughter is doing it with me and she is a great motivator!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4. It's been difficult at times, but the "can't do it" is only in our heads. For a long time I've avoided jogging/running due to frontal over-bounciness, difficulty breathing due to years of smoking, and never knowing if I'm doing it right to keep my knees free from injury. I quit smoking in January and started C to 5K in March. There have been a couple of steps that I've repeated or extended, but I can feel it getting easier.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 7 Day 2 today...that's a 25 minute run.

I gotta say, when you first start you're gonna doubt yourself. Even in week 5, coming up to that first 20 minute straight run, you are REALLY going to doubt yourself. But this whole running thing is as much mental as it is physical.

Three months ago, I couldn't run 0.25 miles without feeling like I was going to pass out. Now, I'm doing almost 2 miles in 25 minutes (which is by no means impressive in speed, but I'm doing it and feeling GOOD during the runs!!).

Do it, do it, do it!! You won't regret sticking with this! :)
  • shortandfaithful
    Options
    I've been doing a little reading-up on the C25K as well, sounds like a really good idea. The only problem is, I've only just started out on the treadmill and I'm still really nervous - I have a total phobia of falling off it and hurting myself - so the idea of running on it scares me! Running outside isn't really possible as I don't have childcare for my baby girl until the evenings when my fiancé gets home from work, and running outside by myself at night would NOT be a good idea where I live! :/

I have the same issue. I have been watching craigslist for an affordable jogging stroller. That is the only thing standing between me and starting the c25k program. Praying by next week I have one :) Good luck
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just finished my Week 7 - Day 1 workout. A month ago, I would have called you crazy for telling me I could run for a solid 25 minutes. Today? Yes, it's a challenge, but it's a great feeling afterwards looking at all you have accomplished!
    Good on you for wanting to start something new. Good luck!!:flowerforyou: