New here , needing support!! Anybody else with PCOS here?

Options
I'm new to this please add me, if there's anyone with PCOS I'd love to her how your getting on and if you have any tips!! :)

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Officially, no I don't have PCOS. The nurse practitioner at the health department suspects it, but I've never discussed it with my GP. I also suspect it for various reasons (I have tweezers stashed everywhere to deal with chin/neck hairs, a history of menstrual issues, freakin' skin tags galore, etc). Since I received my diabetes diagnosis, I take metformin, which seems to be the drug of choice for PCOS anyway. I started this journey on another site February 26th, and I'm down a total of at least 19 pounds from the weight I was around New Year. It was frustrating at first, but it gets easier each day to make better choices. I eat what I want, but I control the portion and make up for it with exercise or healthier foods the rest of the day...USUALLY. Lately I haven't been so great with the fruit and veggies, but I'm still staying within my calories and exercising.

Anyway...I'm rambling :laugh: I'll send out a friend request. Best wishes for success!
  • emmyrudd
    emmyrudd Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello,
    I have the exact same problems,you are entirely right about metformin being the new treatment used for PCOS, i too have the same problems as you, Ive always had irregular periods then one day they stopped it 2 years later my GP put me on metformin i was taking 4 x 500mg tablets a day, I was being really strict with my eating for 3 whole months, doing wii fit, and walking loads, and managed to lose a whole pound! I was distraught and as you can imagine it really knocked me back! My sister who also has PCOS went to her GP who said metformin either helps you or it doesn't (obviously you havent a choice on wether you take it or not for your diabetes) so I decided to stop taking the metformin a month ago and I would be lying if i said I had stuck to a diet or did any exercise for that matter lol!! I have since had a period (never thought Id smile as i said that!!) and i have lost 2 whole pounds which isnta lot but compared to my one pound loss in the three months on metformin its good to me! So I came here as I dont do the whole slimming class thing, easier to have support online, I just hope I can stick to it!! Anyway,,, I am now rambling on!!! Thanks for the request, every wish for success :)
  • crouchie_
    Options
    I do! weight loss is so so hard and very slow. But i'm giving it my best shot. Feel free to add me! :) xx
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ive have PCOD was diagnoised 23 years ago always struggle with my weight x
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm also meant to be on metformin but I forget to take it a lot :/ I have lost weight though, mainly my watching my carbs, cals and fat (I would like to say sugars but fruit always blows it) and working out around 6 days a week. It's slow but possible.

Since losing weight my skin is MUCH better, I've stopped losing my head hair but still need to wax and pluck in other places. My periods aren't great (they never have been) but I am having periods now - whereas before I'd go nearly a year without.

It can be done, although sometimes it feels as though your body is working against you!