Is having surgery to lose weight hard work?

Options
I am just curious, I know several people who have had lap-band or bypass surgery and they say they have to work just as hard as someone who is changing their dieting habits and working out. Is this true? I am not saying that they don't but just wondering the point of the surgery? I am not trying to offend anyone, just educate myself.

Replies

• angelialouise
    angelialouise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    havent done it myself, but have friends who have, and yes..HARD WORK
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on some of the bariatic forums, it's not only hard work, it's more painful by far than muscle soreness or hunger. And they have to lose quite a bit of weight just to qualify for the surgery. It really does seem like a last resort procedure.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical conditions that keep you from losing weight just diet.
    Eat 20% below TDEE for 12 weeks then adjust numbers, rinse and repeat.
    Lift weights for fat loss and lean mass retention.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    At first it may be a bit easier but in the end it is just as hard. I think the appeal is that it helps get you to a point where you can take control of your life again. Many people that are obese feel like dieting and exercise wont work for them. Haven't we all tried fad diets and exercise plans a million times? Losing weight is not easy no matter what route you take. I don't think the struggle to get fit should be looked down on because of the avenue you took.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    All the surgery does is change your digestive system. It doesn't change your head or how the body works. They still have to maintain a calorie deficit (and exercise) in order to lose weight.

At one point gastric bypass was the hot new thing. Now that some time has passed, we are getting a better picture of the results. Yes, people can and will lose a lot of weight fast. However, we are also seeing people gain back 100 or 200 lbs because they haven't resolved their food issues.
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My aunt just recently had surgery done ( with in a yr) she has lost about 100 lbs and it is definitely a hard road. She eats as much as you would give a toddler. Certain food can upset the stomach. This was a choice for her but it is not for everyone.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had lapband and lost 25 lbs before it had to be removed. It was every bit as hard losing with the LAPBAND. It is still calories in and calories out. You still need to exercise. I wish I had my $17,000 back from the surgery.

WLS is a tool. I think it is a good and useful tool in some cases, but it still requires the effort to lose.

Just my humble opinion
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My opinion; it's a cop-out, an easier way out. No different than someone taking steroids to gain muscle. Not to mention the potential life altering complications of surgery even death.
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My Mom is 65 has been over 300 for my entire life. I myself hit 303 as my highest point. She got surgery a little over a four years ago. She now is at her goal of 140 and has stayed there for almost 3 years. She STILL has to work out 5 days a week. She calculates everything she eats and in the beginning she ate very TINY portions but now she eats the same amount I have on my plate. I'm now only at 188 and started the EXACT same day she did to lose myself and I did lose 115 kept it off for six month and gained it back. :( I think the most important thing is her head space has NOT changed but it gave her a jump start to get to where she has NEVER been and she feels so much better about herself that she REFUSES to go back. She is off ALL her meds. She can WALK again without looking like she's 105. I was actually angry with her at first for doing this because I had heard so many horror stories but to see her now it only makes me happy. She got a second chance at life. It is not for everyone. I could not do it personally but if 23 more years go by and I go up and down like a yo yo like she did my entire life who knows. I'm hoping this time around will be my LAST time and I can get to goal and STAY THERE!!
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    All the surgery does is change your digestive system. It doesn't change your head or how the body works. They still have to maintain a calorie deficit (and exercise) in order to lose weight.

At one point gastric bypass was the hot new thing. Now that some time has passed, we are getting a better picture of the results. Yes, people can and will lose a lot of weight fast. However, we are also seeing people gain back 100 or 200 lbs because they haven't resolved their food issues.

I have seen some be very successful with the surgery but within 3 years they are right back where they started, weight wise. I don't want to look down on anyone for wanting to better themselves. I have a male friend who is 6'7 and 400 pounds, he wants to have the surgery but in order to have the surgery he has to lose some weight first. He lost about 40 pounds, then went right back to eating like he was and gained 1/2 of it back. I guess my whole point to him is....why have the surgery if he can't even stick to healthy eating habits for more then 3 months. I think some people get the idea that surgery is a short cut for weight loss. But from what I am seeing in this thread it isn't. I am trying to better educate myself so I can help him. Maybe he does need the surgery to boost his weight loss but as said above the person needs to mentally change as well. I know for myself, the HARDEST part of beginning healthy living was to train my brain.
  • TOMatoPASTE
    Options
    I'm not an advocate of it however, it does have the best long term impact on weight loss by a large margin when compared to general diet/exercise/drug studies (this is in the research, not anecdotally). As others have mentioned, its not necessarily going to be the most comfortable journey, but you're kinda stuck on the road once you start (unless you go back under the knife). If you can stick to a better diet and lifestyle then it would be silly not to. Being healthy is about more than just weight!

Interestingly, these types of surgery DON'T JUST AFFECT THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. They actually alter the hormonal balance in the body, leading to reduced appetite and increased satiation (this can be seen in neuronal activity in the hypothalamus). The jury is still out on how this actually occurs.

Just some food for thought
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My opinion; it's a cop-out, an easier way out. No different than someone taking steroids to gain muscle. Not to mention the potential life altering complications of surgery even death.

I don't think its a cop out. I do think that the procedure is misrepresented as a cure all.
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I had RNY gastric bypass. Yes, it is hard. So many appointments, psychological changes, food restrictions, pain if you eat too much or something that isn't compatable with the changed stomach/bypassed intestine.

The surgery is generally done for multiple medical reasons--diabetes, morbid obesity, high blood pressure, etc. Losing weight is hard. Losing 200 lbs feels overwhelmingly difficult. Walking around with 200 extra pounds is also painful, limiting the ability to exercise.

People who have GBP can gain weight back if they don't follow their new diet and if they fall back on old habits, just like those who take a more "traditional"route for weight loss. As Deedlynn said, it's a tool. The point is to get someone to a healthy BMI and then keep them there, but, if the person isn't ready or have their head in the right place yet, it probably won't work permenantly. Thankfully, most trustworthy/reputable hospitals are requiring a big psych aspect in the pre- and post-op programs now.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lost my thyroid to cancer, and blew up. Then i got the lapband - and i still hit the gym for 12-14 hours a week, and struggle to lose weight. All the band does is help control your portion size - and you can still eat around it, if you choose to do so. You have to make the right food choices, and you have to move your *kitten*, or it isn't going to work.

And the side effects are hell. I'm probably going to have to get mine removed after having it less than 2 years, because it is destroying my esophagus. Just hoping i've learned enough good habits with it in to keep the weight off.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I guess opinions are like a@@holes, everyone has one and they all stink!!! That being said....

I have a lapband. I had no choice in getting my band if I wanted to lose weight.

From 1994-1998 I lost over 90 pounds through diet and exercise, then in 1998, I was in a car accident and ended up with a PERMANENT fracture of my L3 vertebrae, 10 weeks flat on my back, 8 month in a back brace and no exercise involving the core for over a year....guess what the weight came back plus a whole lot more. I am cursed to gain unless I can exercise.

By 2000 I was over 300 lbs and could not exercise without extereme pain, legs going numb and back spasms. I also could not lose the weight without exercise, so in 2003 I made the life saving decision to have a lap band implanted. I dropped 172 lbs over a 3 year period, then in 2007 my band slipped and I had to have it replaced. Due to complications from the surgery, I gained almost 100 lbs back.

I work out 3-5 days per week, two of which are with a trainer, I eat right and am working to become lean and fit. A lapband is not a cop-out but tool to help those of us who are not physically able to at 300 lbs to exercise sufficiently. I have to work twice as hard to get my nutrients in to keep my body from feeling starved.

Next time you want to be rude and dismissive you may want to think about how your words may affect others.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Due to complications from the surgery, I gained almost 100 lbs back.
    I'm not being rude. Did the surgery cause you to gain the weight back or was it your eating that caused you to gain the weight back?
  • SewingLynx
    SewingLynx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know a ton of people who have done this and oddly enough their doctors make them lose weight in order to get the surgery done. Low and behold these people up and lose 15 to 20 lbs just to be able to get the surgery.

My thought process is not very pro-surgery in this case, because if they can manage to lose 20 lbs to get the surgery done, why can't they just keep going with the weight loss and ignore the surgery? I think people look for the easier way out. I'm not so sure I believe it's "just as hard" for them to lose weight. Although, I'm sure recovery from the surgery sucks.

I have seen other cases where people get the surgery because they have to, for one reason or another, and that's okay. You just make the best choice for you. I just wish people wouldn't just run for the easiest/fastest option...
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I must tell everyone my sister died from bypass surgery. She basically starved for the month after the surgery as she was not able to eat anything and losing almost 50lbs in a month. Her heart gave out.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would do this as a last resort. Look up Carny Wilson. She had the surgery done, lost weight, gained weight and is having it done again. I think it is necessary for some people who have tried everything, but it is dangerous and is not a quick fix.