I don't know how many calories to eat :/

Options
I have been going by MyFitnessPal and eating under 1600 calories. I'm 5'4" 181lbs and I put in light activity or sedentary. Some say I should eat 1600 to lose 1lb per week and others say I should eat 1300, which is a large difference! I don't know what to eat..!

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd test out 1600, you should be losing on that. If you aren't though, you can then drop it to say 1400? It's all about trial and error I've found, MFP doesn't have it perfect, and neither will any other site, but it's a rough guide :smile:
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    I have been going by MyFitnessPal and eating under 1600 calories. I'm 5'4" 181lbs and I put in light activity or sedentary. Some say I should eat 1600 to lose 1lb per week and others say I should eat 1300, which is a large difference! I don't know what to eat..!

Age?
  • sashatranett
    Options
    you can pretty much google something like "how many calories should i eat..." or something like that and find a site with a calorie calculator based on stuff like your age, height, gender, and activity level just like MFP. i put your numbers into one of the sites, but i could only guess your age (i put 24), and it said in order to stay at your current weight, to consume 1550 per day. based on that, i would say eating closer to 1300 would work for you
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options

Age?

i agree ^ 1600 sounds about right.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You will drive yourself mad if you constantly check different sources wanting the same answers. Stick to one site that you trust and go with it. This whole game is based on estimations so you just have to try things out and see what works for you.
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the general rule of thumb weight loss calculation..... Take your ideal healthy weight (depending on legit body fat percentages) .... multiply by 10... and BAM there's your calorie intake.
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'd go in the middle

1400!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why not just use the MFP calculation? Try it, see if it works ( needs a few weeks) and then it doesn't try something different?
  • bangersnmash90
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

This website is great, you put in your details and the goal weight and the calories it suggests will help you lose because they advocate eating like the future you. So if you ate the calories they suggest, you would slowly reach your goal weight.

If you have a lot to lose then the recommendation will be good enough to go on, if you don't have a lot to lose , you may want to cut 200-300 calories from their suggestions.

Also, no matter what you decide to eat, your NET calories must be higher than the BMR that they outline at the top of their results page.
  • bangersnmash90
    Options
    Entered information: 24 year old female, 64 inches tall, weighing 181 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 130 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1630 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1691
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1937
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2184
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2431
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2677

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

This is the information they provide, I don't know how old you are, I think you look younger than 24 but I took that from someone else's post. Your goal weight I took from your ticker. According to this, your BMR is 1630 so you should aim to NET this. If you were to do no exercise and eat 1691 calories then you would slowly reach your goal. If you are working out then you can eat more than this. I hope this helps.

There is an informative thread about all of this at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map which is very helpful.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'd go in the middle

1400!

1600+1300/2 = 1400?

Anyway, eat the higher amount. Better yet, work out your BMR and TDEE and eat between those 2 numbers.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd go in the middle

1400!

1600+1300/2 = 1400?

Anyway, eat the higher amount. Better yet, work out your BMR and TDEE and eat between those 2 numbers.
    ^This
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Sorry Im 22! I keep forgetting my age when I post :/ I have to read and reply later only skimmed! I will get back to you lol Thanks in advance everyone xoxo
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Entered information: 24 year old female, 64 inches tall, weighing 181 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 130 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1630 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1691
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1937
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2184
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2431
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2677

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

This is the information they provide, I don't know how old you are, I think you look younger than 24 but I took that from someone else's post. Your goal weight I took from your ticker. According to this, your BMR is 1630 so you should aim to NET this. If you were to do no exercise and eat 1691 calories then you would slowly reach your goal. If you are working out then you can eat more than this. I hope this helps.

There is an informative thread about all of this at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map which is very helpful.
    Okay this is FANTASTIC! lol Thanks..I actually at like 1700 last time I was 185 before my baby but see I had no idea what I was doing,...plus I worked off like 1000calories a couple times per week so I was not being healthy in what I was doing! I didn't eat enough..I was happy to lose like 2lbs in 4 days tho lol. I think 1600 should be okay..Another site said my BMR was 1640 or something similar and I am 22 years old, so that is close enough I think. :] Thank you EVERYONE!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'd go in the middle

1400!

1600+1300/2 = 1400?

This cracked me up. I didn't even do the math or look back at the numbers..I was just like sure. Lol
    I don't know if I worked out my TDEE on a good site..any idea of a nice one or how to do it myself? I think I would be somewhere at like 1600/1700 if Im in between the two numbers.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I do the general rule of thumb weight loss calculation..... Take your ideal healthy weight (depending on legit body fat percentages) .... multiply by 10... and BAM there's your calorie intake.
    Thats a new one..lol The only issue is I don't agree with a lot of the "ideal" weight things because our body frames are all so different. I could use my goal weight I guess and it would be 1300 so thats similar to what one site said.
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    I have been using the MFP calculation. I also have a Fitbit and it tell me very close to the same calories. Go with what MFP is telling you and if you nned to adjust it you can. :happy:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    First off, you've lost 4 pounds (congratulations on that!) so you're obviously doing something right.

Second, everything this site gives you is an estimate only, based on averages, but the averages are probably good for the majority of people on the site. I'd go with what the site recommends (work out, eat your exercise calories, try to follow the recommendations on protein/fat/carb balance for calories.

If you find yourself craving more food every day, up your exercise so you can eat what you want. Give your body a week or two to adapt to your new eating style. Chew strong-flavored gum (cinnamon is my favorite) to help with hunger. If the hungries persist for more than a couple of weeks, and especially if you start feeling tired a lot, you may actually be not eating enough and slowing your metabolism - add enough quality foods until you aren't hungry and/or you feel more energetic. See how that works for a couple of weeks.

If you find yourself satisfied every day, energetic, never went through any sort of transition where you felt temporarily hungry, and aren't losing weight, then you should probably lower your calorie intake a bit (or up your exercise and don't eat all the calorie credits). In that case, your metabolism is fine, you just need to start a calorie deficit and the site has overestimated your BMR.

This is a long-term thing you are undertaking - you're changing the way you'll eat for the rest of your life. Be patient if you and your body don't reach an understanding immediately. :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thats a new one..lol The only issue is I don't agree with a lot of the "ideal" weight things because our body frames are all so different. I could use my goal weight I guess and it would be 1300 so thats similar to what one site said.

Tell me about it. I'm 6' 3" and the BMI index for my height has a "healthy low" weight of 148. I currently weigh 221 and I'm working my way down to 200 (which is the transition for my height from "overweight" to "high normal"), but when I was at 210 I was cycling 30 miles a day for my work commute and felt incredible, and was shopping for size 34 pants and having a struggle finding ones long enough. And that was when BMI was calling me fat.

Weight is a very poor measure of health. It's just a very easy one to measure.