frequent meals .... is it good plan ?

Options
hi everybody

all over the internet and most of health TV shows talk about getting 4-5 small meals in the day
they said it good way to lose weight and control yr hunger and also blood suger

so is it ? anyone has lost weight by doing that ?

from yesterday i started to divided my lunch into 2 meals plus a snack and breakfast

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.

It's more of a mental/hunger thing. If you plan to eat a snack you'll likely make a better choice than randomly grabbing something when you are hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    In itself eating 5-6 small meals a day will make no difference at all if calories are not controlled. If calories are controlled a person will do just a well on any number of meals during the day unless they have some metabolic problems like diabetes. Basically that means it comes down to personal preference. I prefer 2-3 meals a day. When I eat 5-6 I am always hungry and never satisfied with my meals. Others find 5-6 meals helpful. Do what works for you to keep you eating at a moderate caloric deficit. Here is an excellent post on the research concerning meal frequency. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • Bethyann7793
    Options
    People say that eating 4-5 small meals through out the day boosts your metabolism, or causes it to work.
    Im not extactly sure how it works, but thats the reasoning behind it.

I will say however, I have had more weight loss when I eat more through out the day vs. eating less.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In all honestly, as long as you stay within your calorie goal you will lose weight.. no matter when you eat them. 4-6 meals a day does not boost metabolism like a lot of people like to tout it does.

Personally, I'm not hungry this morning.. so am I going to eat breakfast? No, prob not. I will however, eat a bigger lunch and dinner and maybe have a snack before bed.
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    iam also felt hungry with small meals than 2 meals ( breakfast and lunch )

but the reason why i want to move to frequent meals because they said it is good to lose belly fat
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It works for me because that's how often I'm hungry, I'm a grazer. Other people don't like to eat that frequently and therefore it isn't a good plan for them. Basically, eating a million little meals a day to boost metabolism is old school broscience and a load of crap, it basically boild down to caloric intake versus bmr (or tdee), along with eating for your body's needs.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    iam also felt hungry with small meals than 2 meals ( breakfast and lunch )

but the reason why i want to move to frequent meals because they said it is good to lose belly fat

It's not.
  • om98
    Options
    at lunch i eat 2 piece of chicken breast with salad or vege

so i thought i will eat one piece at 3 p.m and the other at 6 p.m with ofcouers some vege

is there any different or it is the same ?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

so i thought i will eat one piece at 3 p.m and the other at 6 p.m with ofcouers some vege

It's the same... You are still eating the same amount of calories, you just split them up into two different meals.

Eat lunch like you normally would and eat dinner like you normally would and you'll be fine.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Again, it makes no difference when you eat it unless that's how frequently you are hungry. I'm a binge eater, so when I get hungry I get mean and make poor decisions. I have to plan out my meals for the day and eat pretty close to schedule to control my consumption. I find myself hungry every 2 hours and raving mad if I don't eat within every 4.

That being said if I eat 250 for breakfast and 100 for 10:30 snack that's 350 calories in 2 of my "meals." My body uses that same 350 calories as a person who eats a 350 calorie breakfast. Again, it all boils down to calories in and calories out, not timing.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Consistency in hitting you caloric goal has a much much larger impact then when and how you eat. No need to micro manage.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I don't know about losing more weight with eating 5 small meals, but I have heard that it regulates insulin levels and helps prevent overeating if you eat something about every 2-3 hours.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 times in a day and workout twice a day but always under my calories... and I am doing this from last two years
    now I can never eat more food in one sittings and I think its always good to have 4-5 small meals throughout the day rather than 1-2 heavy meals in the day..
    as the more frequent you eat the lesser you eat
    and the lesser amount you eat its easier to digest..
    It works for me perfectly! try it ..
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting with an eating window so me, I don't graze. I eat one or two large meals a day depending on the day. I do eat my calories, but I'm satisfied with a few big meals as opposed to many small ones. Maybe someone else can't choke down a big meal and prefers to just nibble here and there. You need to do what makes sense for you.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Personally, now that I'm eating healthier, I have a difficult time getting all of my calories in for the day if I don't snack. But it's just that, snacking. I don't consider it more meals. Mid-morning, I have a piece of fruit and maybe a piece of cheese. Mid-afternoon, I have a raw vegetable (usually a bell pepper). So, I find myself eating more throughout the day, but not necessarily more 'meals'. But it keeps me from getting hungry and allows me to eat all the calories that I should be eating in a day.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think it's mostly hunger management. I can't go 6 hours between meals, so I make 5 smaller meals. I still have the 3 larger meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but a little smaller portions so I can have a bigger snack in between. It doesn't make any difference in how much weight you will lose, just keeps your head in a better place if you get hungry easily.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yeah it works well. If you find yourself hungry at anytime during the day it's easier not to snack because you know the next meal is just around the corner.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I feel better and lose more when I eat 4-5 smaller meals a day. Like some of the other posters have said, if you plan your snacks, instead of grabbing something when you are hungry, you make better choices.
  • om98
    Options
    thx alot guys , good information thx