How Do I Prevent Loose Skin??

Options
I have a total of 80 pounds to lose, and I'm very concerned about loose and saggy skin. As I am losing weight, my stomach area seems to go down nicely, but I have only lost 13 pounds so far. I don't have to lose 100+ pounds, just 80. But it is a big drop. So how do I go about preventing it? I would like to know now how to, since I am in the beginning of my journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's genetic.

You can make sure you stay well hydrated inside and out but in the end you can't guarantee it.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I was in my mid 20s, I lost 100 pounds. My skin was fine. It all got down nicely, no big saggy areas. Then I went through two pregnancies and in both pregnancies gained entirely too much weight. Put on that 100 pounds again, but this time in different areas. And this time, older... mid 30s. And well, plastic surgery will be the only cure now for me... my abdominal muscles sag from the pregnancies so that won't be tight, and the whole belly area has had the skin stretched out so that's never going back. Plus this time I gained all the weight in my thighs so that's not pretty either.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    I have a total of 80 pounds to lose, and I'm very concerned about loose and saggy skin. As I am losing weight, my stomach area seems to go down nicely, but I have only lost 13 pounds so far. I don't have to lose 100+ pounds, just 80. But it is a big drop. So how do I go about preventing it? I would like to know now how to, since I am in the beginning of my journey.

Thanks!

I have about the same amount to lose and that same thing worries me. Losing at a stedy pace can help and so will keeping yourself hydrated...I'm trying both these things. Also moisturize with lotion!
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I hope I can fix this as I lose weight, I can't afford no plastic surgery, so I'm hoping it goes down well with the weight loss progress! Thanks ladies.. :ohwell:
  • ldominguez1986
    ldominguez1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lose weight at a steady, slow pace. Rapid weight loss will cause loose skin :)
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thanks!

nothing will prevent loose skin, however I would strength train while losing and it will help. Also lots of water and keep your body hydrated while losing. Also lotion up. I use Gold Bond COq10 and it seems to help. At least to me it makes my skin appear healthier.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    loosing it gradually will give your skin time to adjust. Around 2 pounds per week is healthy :)
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add to what's already be mentioned is dry-skin brushing, which seems to aid circulation to the skin and encourages collegan growth. [I got my book and my brush on amazon and I think it's helping.]

So: Lose slowly and steadily, include strength training among your execises so you'll build muscle, keep well hydrated, and try dry skin brushing. Moisturing probably helps as well and some people swear by it.

This was also a trending topic this past weekend, and someone included a link to a site where it was strongly stressed that you need to be patient and also need to get down to a low body fat percentage if you have very loose skin after losing a lot of weight, because there may be remaining fat attached to the loose skin and the skin will tighten once that fat is also gone.

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

I'm fairly new here [under a month] and haven't lost much weight yet, but I hope to lose another 25+ pounds, so this is also something I'm concerned about.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    bump
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hydration and slow loss. If you've stretched the skin out too much it might just part of it though. It can rebound some but in the end you might have a bit of loose skin. It's part of the deal we made when we gained a bunch of extra weight.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Great topic.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!