Too much protein

Options
jesss5885
jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
I am having trouble staying within my protein goal every day...

MLP gave me 1200 calories, but I usually end up finishing my day between 1000 and 1100 calories.
I don't usually meet my carb and fat goal, but protein I'm exeeding every day.

It seems like every food I can think of has protein in it...

typical menu as follows:

breakfast:
1 c special K
1/4 c skim milk

lunch:
2 c romaine lettuce
2 tbs kraft free thousand island dressing

8 oz shirataki tofu noodles
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 c shredded low fat mozzarella cheese

dinner:
grilled chicken breast
green giant brussel sprouts
1/2 c mashed potato
2 c romaine lettuce
2 tbs kraft free thousand island dressing
6 croutons

any suggestions???
does anyone else have this problem? has it hindered your weight loss?

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you are a healthy person, no kidney troubles etc, then there is pretty much no such thing as too much protein, as it is the macro nutrient your body is least efficient at using (eating protein increases your energy expended through the high thermic effect of feeding). Also, the goal on mfp is lower than what is typically recommended. People should get about 1 gram per pound of lean body weight
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thanks! that helps!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    where is the misconception of too much protein coming from?? what I'd be more concerned with is if you're only eating 1000-1100 calories a day -- that's a problem. No woman should eat less than 1200 -- if you're exercising you should be eating more. (men would obviously be higher than 1200).... 1200 is the minimum women need for normal body function and such.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough if you're not even getting the 1200 minimum..... please stop starving yourself.

Also, the default MFP settings are completely off in my opinion.. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and do much better. I would be in a carb coma if I tried to follow what they suggest ---
  • calgirl43228
    calgirl43228 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's .8 g per kg, not pound. 1 kg = 2.2 pounds. A 150 lb woman would need 54 g of protein per day.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56691
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Protein helps build your muscles, so if you are working out regularly, you should eat more protein than the mfp (or usda) recommendations. Those numbers are the *minimum* amount of protein you need to maintain normal health, but if you're working out you need more. AND, if you're trying to lose weight, the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids (fat) also requires amino acids (protein) in order to work. So if you're trying to lose weight, you should eat EVEN MORE protein. So unless you have some sort of pre-existing kidney problems, the more protein, the better.

My doctor told me I should try and eat my body weight in protein each day. Started out eating over 300g per day. I've lost almost 70 lb now, so I'm only eating 240g per day. But over a year of high-protein diet hasn't hurt me a bit. In fact, it's made me much healthier.

So I wouldn't worry too much about going over your "limit"! Good luck to you!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    PS you WANT protein! I easily get 120-150g or protein a day ---- protein is what keeps you feeling full.
    You sure can't be full eating lettuce and those smelly fake noodles :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Protein will definately not hindered your weight loss! It has been the key to me losing and keeping my weight off. I eat more protein than MFP suggest everyday for several years now and have kept my weight pretty stable!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The default protein settings on MFP are too low (aim for 40/30/30--40% carbs; 30% fat and protein). You should eat some kind of protein at every meal.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it, your in good shape with going over a little, in fact MFP in the automatic mode is generally way LOW on the protein side for people who work out consistently and want to build and maintain muscle mass... I don't know what yours is set to, but mine is manually configured to get 30% of my calories from protein, 45% from carbs, and 25% from fat... and I keep losing, and feeling great... I'll be off on it a lot of days, in the 25% range and carbs will be 50-55%, but hey, it works.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Don't worry about too much protein... that topic is only relevant if you are 100lbs and are getting more than 200g protein a day for extended duration.

:)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough if you're not even getting the 1200 minimum..... please stop starving yourself.

Also, the default MFP settings are completely off in my opinion.. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and do much better. I would be in a carb coma if I tried to follow what they suggest ---

40/40/20 works well for me...

Honestly though, if you're eating more protein, it's better for you!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I know from experience what happens when you eat too much protein and don't do strength training to synthesize that protein into muscle.

You wanna know what happens?

You fart a LOT. And they are STINKY.

I'm serious that's what happens. :P You'll be fine. ^_^
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Looking at your typical menu, you could easily balance your proteins:
    Reduce the quantity of chicken, which is by far the highest protein in your list
    Add fruit (for Carbs)
    Add nuts (walnuts or almonds) for fat
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    The pre-set levels for MFP are considered by some to be low, with resistance training being a key part. You can find those "for or against" every single topic on these boards so listen in while also doing your own research. Your macros are probably right now set to 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protien. If you are lifting weights or putting in plenty of exercise time you may consider looking into adjustments. I know many change them to 40/30/30.

I also look at the targets set with a greater than less than approach. Look at each one that is being tracked and decide if that is a desired or or not desired part of my nutrition. Example: Sodium (not desired) so I try to be less than the target. Potassium (desired) so I try to be greater than the target. If your protien target is 15% you my want to look at that as a minimum and want to be greater than with your nutrition intake.
  • TNEKEIA
    TNEKEIA Posts: 12
    Options
    try unsweetened almond milk with your cereal. only has about 1 gram of proteien. milk, low fat and skim has about 6-7 grams.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    where is the misconception of too much protein coming from??

Seems there's not a ton of research on this, but increasingly sources are saying it is possible to get too much protein (and also, that the person above's estimate of 1g/lb. is way high). Here are a few (granted, not necessarily peer reviewed) sources:

Harvard News Gazette: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/03.13/09-kidney.html
    Washington University: http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/8388.aspx
    Medicine Net: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    PCRM: http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=132
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Buy some frozen shelled edamame to keep in your freezer. Sprinkle it on salads (just run some warm water over it for a few seconds) or throw into other veggies and chicken soup. Also keep peanuts in the fridge. They are very high in protein and low in carbs. Also Greek yogurt (I like Chobani) plain. I sometimes stir in a little frozen berries for flavor.
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The troubling research on too much protein is done on animal proteins. It does not apply to vegetable proteins
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    where is the misconception of too much protein coming from?? what I'd be more concerned with is if you're only eating 1000-1100 calories a day -- that's a problem. No woman should eat less than 1200 -- if you're exercising you should be eating more. (men would obviously be higher than 1200).... 1200 is the minimum women need for normal body function and such.

There is such thing as too much protein. Normally, protein in the blood is not filtered out because it's such a large molecule. However, if a person consumes way to much, the kidneys struggle and try to do it anyways. Over time, this could damage your kidneys which would lead to even greater problems. But, that would have to be a very large amount of protein, so I'd say you're safe OP. As, everyone said, MFP is set way low. My boyfriend would say the only problem with excess protein is it's stored as fat, which I'm not sure if I believe. Your biggest concern is eating too few calories.