Huge NSV - Running

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I began losing weight almost a year ago. When the weight loss slowed, I added exercise in October of last year. Just walking. I gradually added time and speed and hand weights to my treadmill walks. When I started needing to walk for an hour to get the calorie burn I wanted, I decided to try C25K again - I had tried it earlier but my body couldn't handle it then. I have been doing c25k for a while on the treadmill. I repeated weeks to combat shin splints. On Friday, I finally tried running outside. I had been told it would be harder physically and easier mentally. I had really expected not to be able to do my normal routine. But I was pleasantly surprised! It may have been slightly harder but I was able to complete my run. My quads were sore though and that never happened on the treadmill.

It was such a HUGE mental victory for me though. I had really expected it to be so much harder.

Replies

• sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that is awesome! Must have been a great feeling :)
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I prefer to run outside. It is way better than the boring treadmill (in my opinion!) Now you've started a habit, keep it up!
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You will love running outside. Just being in the fresh air is addictive, even if you don't run hard enough or long enough to get the endorphins - you'll have endorphins just to feel the wind on your face!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    congrats but I will give you a warning: running can be addictive. :):flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    congrats but I will give you a warning: running can be addictive. :):flowerforyou:

Well, it's about damn time I get addicted to something actually GOOD FOR ME LOL. Fingers crossed there!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, I am currently on Week 3 day 1. I love running outdoors. Its like therpy. I ran in the rain on Saturday and it was wonderful.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Loved the C25K program!!! Next step...sign up for a 5K :)
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, I am currently on Week 3 day 1. I love running outdoors. Its like therpy. I ran in the rain on Saturday and it was wonderful.

I always say my treadmill is my therapist :) I wish I could run outside but with 3 kids it's hard with my hectic schedule. I did run outside a few days last year on vacation and it was awesome!!! One day it was drizzling and I loved it!!! :)
  • StephJ0nes
    Options
    Great job!!! I was also afraid to run outside, but when I finally did I found it to be easier than running on the treadmill. I love running outside now!! It is an awesome feeling to just crank up the ipod in my ears and just GO!!! I call it my therapy!! Keep up the great work!!
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I got all the way to completing week 4 and then realized the shin splints were getting bad. I got new running shoes and in talking with the salesman, he recommended going back in the program and taking my time more. So, I went back and did week 3 two more times and just completed week 4 again. I'm debating whether to move on to week 5 now or repeat week 4 again. I'm not in any big hurry!
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good Job, it's only the beginning. I started with C25K once I completed it I signed up for a 5km race and a year later I am training for a 1/2 marathon (cross fingers)
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I always say my treadmill is my therapist :) I wish I could run outside but with 3 kids it's hard with my hectic schedule. I did run outside a few days last year on vacation and it was awesome!!! One day it was drizzling and I loved it!!! :)

I have 3 kids as well and work out after the baby goes to bed. On weekends though, I can likely find time to go into town to run (can't run where I live). On Friday, my husband took the kids to the park and I ran on the path in the park. On Sunday, I just went by myself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!