How do you fight depression and lose weight?

Options
I am fightin some major depression with some family things going on. Food is my comfort and I find myself getting up in the night and eating. I have tried almost everything to keep from doing it, but I don't sleep well and it's not that I'm hungry...just want to eat. Anyone else ever have the same problem? Any suggestions?? I'm so discouraged.

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you have "tried almost everything", perhaps it is time to consult a professional.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have found that for me the only thing which really helps with depression is exercise but as it is nighttime it is not that easy.

Have some herbal tea and if that does not help, brush your teeth! Everything tastes bad after brushing your teeth.
  • SewingLynx
    SewingLynx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely a stress/anxiety/depression eater also. What I do, is I pre-make a lot of my meals for my diet so that I cannot mess up. And if you're having a need for some of that comfort food, just have more of what you're already allowed to have. Clear out the house of any junk foods. If it's not there, you wont be able to eat it. That can be frustrating at times, but I promise you it makes that comfort food eating a lot better to deal with. Have things you can eat that are calorie free (or near it) like pickles. Spicy pickles are my all time favorite! And if you love cheese? Try lifetimecheese.com because it's a fat free cheese, tastes great, and has a lot of protein per serving. ;o) I actually like to chop both up to have with pickles and cheese. Yummy!

While doing these things, try to fight depression with working out or playing video games or some other hobby. I swear I lose track of time when I am gaming or sewing. ;o) And it makes me very motivated so I forget about food, plus you can't eat while your hands are busy!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I did it with a couple years of counseling, reading, medication (still on that), and exercise (still doing that). It's not always a simple fix. :flowerforyou:
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First things first, go see your doctor. There could be more going on than just depression. Once you get that squared away, start working out and eating lots of veggies. When I work out every day, I feel SO much better than I did before I was working out. My moods have leveled off and I don't want to eat so much. I also suffer from depression, so I take st johns wort, b12, and d3 every day. It helps SO much. I actually feel like a normal person again. But what works for me won't necessarily work for you. My Dh take Niacin to fight his depression, and it works wonders for him (if you haven't noticed, we're big on vitamins, not so much on drugs). *hugs* and Good luck!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just ended a whole week of binge eating and not exercising today. I just took control of my brain and said "hey. I'm done feeding you stomach!" I saw a picture of a friend of mine and how hard she's been working - she has the flattest stomach I have EVER seen and that motivated me more than anything. I got up, despite how tired I was from only sleeping 4 hours, and got to my workout. It was hard, but I did it. I've been talking to a psychologist lately as well. I also take St .John's Wort, drink tons of water [which curbs my binging] and take up yoga, which helps me focus and become at ease with myself.

I really wish you all the luck in the world. I know how hard it is. You can overcome this. Remember:

"This too shall pass"

xx
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Consult a professional, your medical dr. is a good start. When I started here I was dealing with a daughter and brother with terminal cancer. Strange thing to say, focusing on getting healthy (daily use of this site-logging my food), with plenty of long walks combined with light weights and mild anti depressant (with regularly dr. monitoring) got me through it all!.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss and as mentioned earlier maybe you should find someone that you can talk to, maybe someone from your church. Wishing you all the best.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Planning EVERYTHING.

As a person who suffers from depression, I can relate. It's hard. To overcome it, and especially the overeating/emotional eating, you have to plan every little detail out and STICK to the schedule/plan.

For me, it's become routine. I find that weekends (when I don't have a plan, but need to change that!) are especially difficult because I lack structure. Here's what I do:

Sunday--make a list of what I'm making for meals for the week. I make a nice healthy meal that night, and make sure that I have enough for left overs/snacks for lunch at work the next day. Please know that the crock pot is your friend :-)

Also on Sunday, I make my fitness plan. Schedule the exact time you're going to work out/go to the gym/go for the walk/exercise. For me, coming home, my immediate thought is to binge eat. So not good. I make sure I schedule a 4:00 yoga class or walk or something right away so I don't get into that habit of binging.

Hope these tips help. Please feel free to message me if I can help more!

Take care, and remember: You CAN do this!

xo
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    A. Talk to your doctor, see about anti-depressants if you aren't on them.

B. Find a hobby that isn't eating. I can be an emotional eater too, so I try to occupy my brain when I want to just eat.

C. Snack on good, healthy things. Keep fruits and cut up veggies handy, so if you do munch, those are what you grab.

D. If you feel yourself getting down and wanting to eat, grab an ipod, pop in some ear buds, and go for a walk. Listen to upbeat music or even angry music if you feel like that. It helps!

You can get a hold of this!!!
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ahh... one of my biggest problems as well. When I'm struggling with depression, my go-to is always food and shopping, which leaves me fat and broke. Sometimes when I get one thing under control the other gets worse. :o( I second the idea of what another person said though... get rid of junk food in the house, and get some snacks to have on hand that won't do in your whole diet. There are loads of 100 calorie packs- Chips, cookies, cranberries, nuts... Also, I keep little bits of chocolate in my house b/c just one piece usually is enough, and that's about 40-60 calories.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with depression and night eating, but definately turning to food for comfort. I used to hide it too, which is destructive behavior.

I had this notion that <insert fast food/junk food> would make me feel fabulous and wonderful, and really it made my stomach feel gross (for the amounts I ate, anyway) and then I felt guilty after, making my already crappy feeling self, feel worse. I had to find a way to disassociate food with "feel good". I try to only eat when I'm hungry (sometimes the brain/emotions/mentality and actual hunger confuse themselves...hunger to me = grumbly tummy), but not let myself get to the point of starving, so I'm always feeling satisfied.

If you're feeling like you want to turn to food to make you feel good, try doing something else. Look up something funny on the internet, call a friend, hug somebody, etc.Basically, the point is to re-direct your thinking. It might be difficult at first, but it's a learned behavior. I've been told that most cravings if you don't give in to them pass in about 20-30 minutes, and for me, that was true.

Best of luck to you :-)
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is not a replacement for medical advise as I am not a doctor.....however try exercising when you get the urge for extra food... just some quick pushups or situps anything....that has 3 good points it makes you feel better and less depressed, it keeps you busy which helps you through the mindless eating time, and helps you burn cals at the same time...good luck. If i start getting depressed and cranky that afternoon or the next morning depending on work my husband makes sure i get to the trail for a run....then when i'm done he always asks "feel better" ....lol the answer is always yes....
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I was at an all time low 2 years ago. My life was in turmoil and I desparately needed to change. At 221 lbs I was MISERABLE!!! I had lost weight before only to gain it back. Somehow I stumbled upon the book "Women, Food and God" and read it. Not sure why cuz I'm not really religious but I did read it and it changed my thought process. We eat to cover the emotions we don't wanna feel. By overeating u are filling up on food to a point u are uncomfortable so u no longer have to think about your problems but instead your overfull belly. Recognizing u are not hungry and just eating to eat is the first step. Now u just need a new outlet when these feelings rise again. I exercise. It's my stress reliever. I notice now when I get overly stressed I freak out and have to start walking or get on my treadmill for a run. It's funny cuz now it's like "I need my treadmill right now!!!" My friends think its funny but it's true. I hope u are able to find a new stress reliever too. Good luck :)
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    So many encouraging posts. I just want to tell you you are not alone. Try to remove all the tempting foods from your house (snack foods). That way you'd actually have to get up and cook something late at night. Good luck and I am proud of you for trying so far.
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone. I've been going through some pretty rough times and I have gained weight I think less from emotional eating and more from drinking and "convenience foods". When I'm severely depressed, I lack energy and motivation. The suggestion others in this thread have made to pre-make meals is a good one. It's far easier to reach for something healthy when all you need to do is nuke it instead of eating chips because you can't handle the idea of cooking or ordering food.
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    Planning EVERYTHING.

As a person who suffers from depression, I can relate. It's hard. To overcome it, and especially the overeating/emotional eating, you have to plan every little detail out and STICK to the schedule/plan.

For me, it's become routine. I find that weekends (when I don't have a plan, but need to change that!) are especially difficult because I lack structure. Here's what I do:

Sunday--make a list of what I'm making for meals for the week. I make a nice healthy meal that night, and make sure that I have enough for left overs/snacks for lunch at work the next day. Please know that the crock pot is your friend :-)

Also on Sunday, I make my fitness plan. Schedule the exact time you're going to work out/go to the gym/go for the walk/exercise. For me, coming home, my immediate thought is to binge eat. So not good. I make sure I schedule a 4:00 yoga class or walk or something right away so I don't get into that habit of binging.

Hope these tips help. Please feel free to message me if I can help more!

Take care, and remember: You CAN do this!

xo

i agree. planning has helped me out a lot. planning and working out, even when i REALLY don't feel like it. and when i can't get my mind off of food, i cook healthy foods (having friends over to cook for is even better). last night, after dinner, i saved up enough calories to have some peanut butter while i made a crust-less quiche. buying a lot of veggies and taking the time to chop them up for snacks....things like that. something to occupy your time and make you feel productive so you make better choices more easily.

and obviously, use your best judgement for when it's time to consult a professional. struggling is ok, but you don't want this to consume your life.

best of luck :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I am fightin some major depression with some family things going on. Food is my comfort and I find myself getting up in the night and eating. I have tried almost everything to keep from doing it, but I don't sleep well and it's not that I'm hungry...just want to eat. Anyone else ever have the same problem? Any suggestions?? I'm so discouraged.

Find your local community mental health center and get some counseling. At community mental health centers payment is based on income and what you can afford to pay.
  • Marcamp1978
    Options
    I'm actually struggling with this now. I'm grateful for the original post, and all the great replies. My husband just deployed overseas and it's bothering me more than I thought it would. I roam around the house sometimes, lost. And I don't want to do anything, which makes my daughter suffer because I don't play with her like I used to. But today, I'm starting over. Today I did a short Taebo workout, and am going to make myself get out of this rut. I love all the great suggestions here, and I'll apply them. One thing I've learned, is when you're craving a comfort food, don't tell yourself "no". Tell yourself "later". Then you don't feel so denied, and by the time later is here, you may not need that food anymore. I also agree with getting rid of the junk food. I won't buy it, so when the cravings hit, all I have is healthy stuff to choose from. Or a piece of dark chocolate will help. Sometimes just a glass of milk will take care of it. Or maybe even a little cleaning. Doesn't have to be much, but it'll take your mind off food, and give you some sense of accomplishment. It's easier some days and harder some days, but with friends and family support, I think everything will be just fine - for me and for you! So here's to sending some comforting prayers your way, and to anyone else who needs them! Blessings, and good health to you all!