Traveling for work....HELP!!!

Options
I trvel for work quite a bit. I hav to go out of town on Friday. It's so much easier to stick tot he healthy eating when i'm in my own house with food I purchased. However, during this conference, breakfast and lunch will be provided for us. I will be on my own for dinner (but often go out with clients). My problem is almost completely mental. Even when there are healthy options supplied, I tend to think of travel as an excuse to eat what I want and get back onboard when I get home. But I can't afford to do that. Any suggestions for how to stay on track mentally?

Replies

• taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Being a Brit who occasionally travels to the US, among other places, and despite knowing portion sizes are larger there, still eats too much, I try to skip at least one meal per day. Not the healthiest option, I know, but it just helps me to balance my caloric intake a bit while choosing, within reason, what I want to eat. The other thing you could try is, whatever you order, eat half. I am not that disciplined but I know it works for some.

Good luck!
  • Jivebunnie
    Jivebunnie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't say it will be easy for you - when I worked away but came home at weekends, I lived on hotel food & even though I chose the healthier options, there is always temptation.

If you try to stick with salads & cold cuts or filling up on vegetables when you have hot meals, that will help. Avoid gravies & sauces!

Take some snacks with you that you know you can have.

I used to try & do some exercises in my room or go for a walk if you are in a nice area.

Log on to MyFitnessPal everyday!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    On the surface, it's simple - track everything. Seriously, eat anything you like, but track the calories on the site and be honest about what you are eating. I find that simply being aware of the calories in each meal encourages me to make healthier choices.

Then when you are back at the hotel, use the gym facilities to work off as many of the calories as you can, and think about how you can meet your calorie goal for the next day.

Also, for breakfast and lunch, if you have any choices make your healthiest choices then, and make sure they are good protein-rich choices to fill you up and make you less hungry when you hit the restaurant.

The nights you go out on your own, without clients present where there's no peer pressure, try to eat extra-healthy. When I used to travel a lot, I'd stop by the salad bar of the local supermarket and load up a box with veggies, lean meats, egg, etc - and VERY LIGHT on the dressing. Then I'd take it to a local park or someplace nice and have a meal outside, followed by a nice walk. It's convenient, inexpensive, and relatively healthy.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. I generally eat whatever I want while I was travelling as generally my work covered it....but gradually I realized that it wasn't good for my body. There are couple of apps on iphone which gives you nutritional information on some common restaurants...now, before I go out, I tried to see the menu, check out the nutritional plan and try to make some good choices. Dressing on the side of salad, grilled rather then fried, and some vegetable choices. Good luck. It is hard, but try to eat healthy part of the time and see if you can hit the gym at the hotel at least once or twice and you will be fine.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Another thought - you say breakfast and lunch are provided, but that doesn't mean you need to eat it. Someone else in the thread mentioned skipping meals. If you can do it, it's certainly a better option than eating a very unhealthy meal, but I find that skipping meals always backfires on me. It messes up my metabolism, and by the time the next meal rolls around I'm completely unable to exercise any sort of portion control or logical approach to what I'm eating, and I overeat by more than the skipped meal.

I used to carry a couple of "meal replacement" bars in my laptop bag (Clif bars are my favorites, but whatever works for you). If the provided meal choices aren't healthy and you can't make them healthy, dig out your "emergency rations" instead.

I've also been known to eat a Clif bar on my way to a restaurant with poor food choices. A protein/complex-carb rich "pre-meal" means I arrive at the restaurant *already satisfied*, and not hungry. Then I can look at the menu with a completely different perspective and often make far healthier choices.

Clif bars and the like are not good meal replacements, but they are better than eating absolute garbage and (in my case) far more effective than skipping meals.
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definitely look up what is on the menu before you go. This can help you make the right choice before you ever even step foot into a restaurant. Part of being mentally prepared is knowing what is available. Maybe if you already decide before you get there you will be less likely to indulge!

Good luck and have fun:)
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I use to travel as well and had the expense accounts and had to wine and dine clients! The only thing I can suggest is to drink plenty of water before meals so you fill up fast and stick to low carb meals. Also, you can pick up some carb blockers/Phase 2 if you have a couple of carby cheat meals :)

At the end of the day its about discipline. I just try to think 'all this food will be there and aint goin anywhere -i can wait and enjoy my cheat meal later' ....just stay focused and try to wait to have your 'cheat meal' when u get back and plan it. Having a cheat meal scheduled later in the week gives me something to look forward to and I'll do great all week!

If u have cool co-workers on the trip w/you.Let them know what you are doing and they will help hold you accountable :)

Happy journey!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    There are couple of apps on iphone which gives you nutritional information on some common restaurants...now, before I go out, I tried to see the menu, check out the nutritional plan and try to make some good choices.

I know this site and the Android app for it already have a pretty comprehensive database of common restaurants - doesn't the iPhone app for MFP have this already? (with the additional advantage being that, once you've found the meal you want, you can simply add it to your daily log)?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Ask for a copy of the menu in advance and track it in advance. Then you know what the calories will be and how much to eat. If you can, get the phone app and track at the table-before you eat.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Definitely look up what is on the menu before you go. This can help you make the right choice before you ever even step foot into a restaurant. Part of being mentally prepared is knowing what is available. Maybe if you already decide before you get there you will be less likely to indulge!

Good luck and have fun:)

I'll frequently check MFP's listings for the restaurant I'm about to go out to, generally around lunchtime when Ive just eaten a satisfying meal and I'm able to make logical choices about food. Then I'll choose a supper that fits into my meal plan and enter it into MFP.

That way, when I get to the restaurant, I already know what I'm going to eat, and I order it. I'm rarely tempted to change my meal, because I've gotten myself psyched up all day for the meal I chose earlier. Plus it's already in my food log, so it's easier to just stick with the decision that "earlier me" made.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I travel for work quite a bit, and so I've got a few tips that have made a difference for me.

Breakfast: Even if it's supplied, bring your own. I always travel with a to-go container and a plastic spoon. Pack your shreddies into ziploc bags - 1 bag for each day you'll be away, and run down to the coffee shop/grocery that most hotels have to buy a small container of milk. When you show up for breakfast, enjoy some calorie free coffee and indulge in a couple of pieces of fruit. But stay away from the juices. Although there is nothing so yummy as freshly squeezed orange juice, it's just empty calories that leave you wanting more.

Lunch: I'm noticing that most of my catered lunches these days are exactly the same - wraps, soup, raw veggies or a do-it-yourself salad, and fruit/dainties for dessert. Canned pop and juice generally accompany the lunch. Here, I just choose wisely.

Start by filling your plate with raw vegetables...at least a cup, maybe two. I started eating veggies without dip a few years ago and will never go back. To me, dip now tastes oily and gross on the yummy veggies.

If the soup is broth-based, have lots. In fact, have two bowls and avoid the wraps entirely. If it's cream based, ignore it completely and go for the wraps.

As for the wraps, usually I see turkey, roast beef, ham, egg salad, and tuna salad; sometimes there's a roasted veggie vegetarian option. Choose one (or two if they'e small) of the meat-based or vegetarian ones...try for whole grain or green (spinach) wraps if that's possible. Avoid the mayo-based tuna or egg or chicken salad like the plague.

If salad accompanies the meal, choose the vinaigrette option and use the provided spoon to eyeball a tablespoon full.

Walk quickly past the drinks and dessert. You can come back later, if you want. Just drink water (or no-calorie tea or coffee) with your lunch. If you want to spice it up, ask the attendant if it would be possible to get a couple of lemon slices. Usually, they'll just bring a big bowl (also great to squeeze over your salad in the place of dressing).

If, after you've finished your meal, you still want dessert, do 2 things. First, go back and get a small dessert plate and pile it with veggies. Once you've eaten a total of 3-4 cups of veggies, you won't have much room for dessert. But, if you still have a craving, then choose wisely. Pick the tastiest, most wonderful dessert. I usually go around the room, networking, and asking others what the best one was. If you're going to blow 150 calories, it had better be worthwhile.

One final thought on dessert. If you take a bite and the angels aren't singing, find the nearest trash can and throw it out. Your aunt Mary didn't make it, so nobody's going to make a fuss if you don't finish it. It's just not worth the calories when you could have a cup of fresh fruit instead. :)

Dinner: I think others have shared great ideas already. Don't forget though - you can always order a meal-sized salad (dressing on the side) and add a grilled chicken breast. Even if it isn't on the menu, I have never had a restaurant turn me down.

Drinks: Instead of a sugary pop or glass of wine (although I have been known to save my calories for a glass of wine each night), I like to stick to soda water with a lemon or lime. It's refreshing, and you still feel like you're drinking something other than boring tap water. But throughout the day, stick to water and no-calorie coffee or tea (which means no sugar or cream) exclusively. Who needs empty calories!?!

Exercise: You just have to make it a priority. When the meetings let out at 4pm and others are going for a drink right away, tell them you'll meet them at 5:30, that you're heading to the gym to reenergize your body. You'd be surprised...I often get one or two people joining me. Then get your butt down there and get your sweat on. Not only will it earn you more calories for the evening; it will also wake up a body that has been sitting down waaaaay too long!

Anyway, these are just a few of my favorites. Hope this helps!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    great tips!! :) you rock!