Conflict on Body Fat %

Options
So, I've looked at numerous sites to see what my body fat percentage is. However, I'm finding quite the conflict. I'm in fact looking at a good 5-7% difference. ?? Has anyone else experienced this?

http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/body-fat-percentage-calculator.php

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html ( I used the one all the way to the right on this one 'cause I don't have all the other measurements--I'm at work [sshhh])

thoughts?

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of a gym you should have someone there do it for you. You can not have a real accurate BMI from a webiste based on your height and weight.
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    I have a 20% difference depending on which one I use.

I was recommended this site: http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html, because it uses 3 formulas, and then gives you an average. Of course, nothing is as accurate as a water displacement test. :P
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The Original Body Fat Calculator and the Covert Bailey Body Fat Calculator on fat2fitradio.com came out fairly close to each other for me--one at 26%, the other at 28%. Their Military Body Fat Calculator was way higher.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of a gym you should have someone there do it for you. You can not have a real accurate BMI from a webiste based on your height and weight.
    BMI is not the same as body fat % by the way. BMI is a simple formula that is based on height and weight.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    All body fat% calculators are inaccurate estimates. The only way to get a true reading is to have a DEXA scan. Calipers and BIA tests can also be inaccurate.

Here a portion of an article from CNN:

DEXA scans

Upside: Superaccurate. This low-radiation, full-body X-ray, typically used to screen for osteoporosis, computes body composition and the percentage of fat in the body by measuring fat mass, lean mass, and bone mass. "They are the gold standard," says David Freedman, Ph.D., an epidemiologist in the Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.

Downside: Cost. Unfortunately, if not covered by insurance, a DEXA scan could end up costing you a couple hundred dollars, an expense that isn't necessary, according to Nelson.

Other body fat measurements

Upside: Your wallet won't take such a hit from other more economical approaches. Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), which can sometimes be found at health clubs and involves attaching electrodes to the hands and feet or standing on electrode pads, sends a small electric signal through the body to compute the composition of body fat and muscle mass. Some physicians and health clubs also use so-called skin-fold tests, which use calipers or pinchers to measure the thickness of folds of skins at different parts of the body.

Downside: These measurements are cheaper, yes, but they are also less reliable than a DEXA scan. The BIA is heavily influenced by hydration levels and thus, can be imprecise. Depending on the technician, a skin-fold test can be inaccurate too.

The full article (including other methods) can be found here:

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-02/health/healthmag.measuring.body.fat_1_bmi-estimate-body-muscle-mass-and-body?_s=PM:HEALTH
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I recently had a DEXA scan and my caliper bf measurement done by a trainer at my gym was within less than 1% of my dexa scan measurement. The online calculators were off by way more than that.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do the DEXA scans show water content/buildup/retention too?
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As mention before its best to have a trainer measure it for you. I have had it done by one in the past, but I don't have a gym membership any more so I just use one off the net (always the same). Its only for now until I can afford a fitness assessment.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you pick for monitoring progress as long as you are consistent. It doesn't matter what the number really is, just that you can see it going down!

I just picked an arbitrary way and do it the same way. I also have a scale that does it, but that seems more variable, based on hydration level and such, than measurements.

When I get to a look I like, I might find out my real body fat %, but ultimately, looking good nekkid is what really matters in life :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I tried them all, and the FitWatch website was very close to my caliper measurement. But those aren't exact either. :)