My dad needs structured weightloss plan for diabetics...

Options
Hi all,

My dad, who is a mild type 2 (takes meds) diabetic needs a structured diet plan to lose something in the range of 150+ pounds. I think he can do a structured meal plan, such as NutriSystem or MetiFast, and I think they each have diabetic-friendly plans, but I'm open to feedback. I'd like to help him out with suggestions.

For reference, my dad, like me, has been obese most of his life. He lost big weight back in the mid-80's following a "stomach stapling" (that's what they used to call it). He lost almost 200lbs after that, but gained about 50 of that back and stabilized there for a long time. Other factors have brought much of that weight back and with age and already having had a gastric surgery, to me a structured diet and exercise plan seems most appropriate. He's 57 years old, and enjoys golf and such, but needs to lose weight to be comfortable doing things he loves and of course I want him to be healthy, which is why I'm also losing weight!

Thanks,

Z

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If possible, he should see a doctor and a Registered Dietician. People with serious medical conditions should not be getting diet advice from the Internet.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If possible, he should see a doctor and a Registered Dietician. People with serious medical conditions should not be getting diet advice from the Internet.

I'm not too trusting of his doctor, since he has done nothing but gain weight since seeing his endocrinologist. Quacks. I have done more for my health on my own, and with Internet and book-based advice than any doctor did for me in 30 years of obesity. I'm 36, so 30 years of obesity is pretty horrific... Yes, since age 6. Not one doctor ever did a thing...

What did work? Weightwatchers (worked well when I adhered to it), Quick Weightloss Centers (worked exceptionally well when adhered to, I went back to Burger King and used stress as my excuse), Atkins Diet (I don't think it's a good long-term plan, but it DOES work.... and now MY FITNESS PAL... I've lost more weight, more slowly, and I expect permanently, if I am persistent and stay on track and redirect myself when I go off course.

Anyway, I do agree that there are some doctors out there who can help. I'd be more trusting of one who had a portfolio of successful long-term weight loss for truly obese people without surgery. Most docs want to sell you surgery or other things that bring them income. No offense to doctors. I know we need them, but the salesmen out there are sickening... You can't even go see a dentist without a pitch for braces, veneers, whitening, unnecessary fillings/caps/bridges, etc.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    At this point anything to reduce the cals in will probably help. Another thing to look at is his drugs. Some drugs make people more prone to weight gain. Lots of good info at bloodsugar101.com.

Since he is diabetic, watching carbs would be good. For me, the ADA diabetic diet contains too many carbs (my dr. is stingy with the meds so I have to give up almost all carbs) but for most people it is a good, reasonable diet. Pair that with some walking, even better, pool walking since the water cushions the joints.

The diabetic diet is pretty easy to follow and allows for a variety of foods. The problem with liquids, special foods etc, is that you don't always learn to eat in a way that is sustainable throughout life. You both need to change how you eat to conquer lifelong obesity and that change should be something you can do forever.

For most T2s, weight loss and moderate carbs will reduce the drugs they need, prevent rot (amputations, blindness), and improve their health greatly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

And also this: http://www.diabetes.org/
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    He should be attending CLASSES and working with: a REGISTERED NURSE DIABETES EDUCATOR. MFP members are totally unqualified to help your father. I am a retired RN and see far too much well-meaning, inaccurate advice here.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I am not a diabetic myself, but I have family members, including a father who is a diabetic, and I have personally done medifast.... I am not a proponent of weight loss plans like that, yes you see results, but the side affects that I put up with, at that price, and the taste of the food, all made me stop after an extended time... Once I stopped, I continued watching what I ate, but despite only eating 1100 calories I gained weight back, immediately. Its not safe, and its not sustainable.... As far as I am concerned. At least for me it wasn't. I suggest eating healthy, have him join MFP and cut back his carbs and watch his sugar intake... My dad has started a diet called the 30 day cure for diabetes. He has lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks, and is having more regular sugar readings... if he wants to lose weight and keep it off, he needs to learn about nutrition for his body as a diabetic... i suggest either finding a nutritionist that he can work with, or doing a diet that restricts carbs and sugars... I've heard diabetics should have no more than 25 - 30 carbs per meal.... but I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, so i can't really say for sure...
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Low carb - 'nuff said.

Best way possible for a diabetic to control blood sugar and even out insulin. Most Type 2 diabetics that switch to lower carb eating can reverse their disease and eventually eliminate it.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I would suggest a dietician. I would stay away from Nutrisystem or something where you eat their food as it doesn't help you eat regular foods on your on. My dad lost weight on one of these programs but as soon as he stopped eating their food, he gained it all back.

My dad also has Type 2 diabeties (diagnosted about 20 yrs ago). He started with just the medication but progressed to insulin shots. He said he was dieting, watching sugar, etc. but he was eating as he always had. He has poor circulation, failing kidneys, and is currently in a rehab hospital trying to get enough strength back in his legs and arms after a hospitalization to be able to come home (he has been in hospital and rehab since end of November). He is making progress, but it is slow. I type this to encourage you and your dad in your weight loss journey so that you can avoid (or minimize the risk) of this happening to you.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    He should be attending CLASSES and working with: a REGISTERED NURSE DIABETES EDUCATOR. MFP members are totally unqualified to help your father. I am a retired RN and see far too much well-meaning, inaccurate advice here.

Great advice. When I was diagnosed I was immediately set up with a diabetes class and a dietitian. The best choice for me was a modified South Beach Diet and to get active. Walking has been my only mode of exercise for the 3 years. My latest A1C = 5.3. Considered "Normal" by labwork.
  • melissainez85
    Options
    LOWER CARBS WILL LOWER BLOOD SUGAR....FOR EXAMPLE ATKINS..my BF is a diabetic and this is the way of life that the doc suggests i myself is on atkins i do not have diabetes and iv lost 50lbs before people create drama and tell her no .....research this urself !!!!! :) and check out BOWULF on youtube he has 240+ videos on everything ATKINS including meals and all the great info. that u will need to hear and listen to....HOPE THIS HELPS
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Every diabetic reacts differently to different foods/methods, so the key, in my experience, has been to eat to my meter, exercise, and keep a close eye on my calories. Of course, drastically reducing my carb intake has been vitally important, as it is for most diabetics.

I would be careful of so-called diabetic-friendly versions of weight-loss plans such as Nutri-System. It's not all that diabetic friendly, nor is it sustainable. As diabetics, we are looking for a way of eating that is sustainable for a lifetime. In my opinion, those plans are not.

It takes a lot of up-front work and testing to figure out what foods you can and can't eat, but once you get it figured out it's not a bad way of life. By eating to my meter and exercising, I was able to lower my A1C from 14.2 (astronomically high) to 5.1 (a truly normal level) in three months.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    My Mom and a close friend both lost 80+ lbs, when they visited the dietician after being diagnosised. The diabetic diet can and does work if a person really tries.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Those who are saying you lowered your A1C to normal levels through good diet/exercise, does that mean you no longer require any diabetic medication (e.g. your body works as it should, with regular diet/exercise?)?

Just wondering....
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Those who are saying you lowered your A1C to normal levels through good diet/exercise, does that mean you no longer require any diabetic medication (e.g. your body works as it should, with regular diet/exercise?)?

Just wondering....

I am still on a low dose of Metformin, but am planning on speaking with the doctor about discontinuing it if my A1C is still as low at my next appointment. It can be done, however. My father, who has been diabetic for over 20 years and had been giving himself insulin shots, got serious about his diet and exercise and has been med free for the past two years. I think it depends on the person and the amount of damage done to the body before getting the diabetes under control. Med free is definitely my goal.
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when eating carbs he needs to eat protein to stabilize his blood sugar
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    PM me with his height, weight, activity level, age, and ALL other health issues such heart disease, blood pressure issues, prostate issues, etc. I can provide you with a custom meal plan (it is what I do for a living), but because many people on this site think they know what they are doing and will be critical, I do not provide advice in a public forum.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm also a type 2 diabetic & my diet is based on low glycemic foods & avoiding white refined carbs but I suggest talking to your Dad's diabetologist or if he could refer you to a RD who can design a meal for your Dad since we have different needs.

Good luck