SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR

Options
SkyraBee
SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
HELLO MFP FRIENDS--

So, I'm wondering what many of you have to say about sugar, the devil. Lol. My recommended allotment of sugar is 27g, but I have never--NOT ONE DAY, been below that. In truth, I'm over it before breakfast is over. While I am losing weight, and meeting my calorie goals, I am wondering if anybody else is having the same problem. If you have been able to lessen or eliminate sugar in your diet--and I don't just mean the added granulated sugar--I mean the natural sugars that come in foods, particularly fruits--let me know what you do. Also, is this something I should even care about (since it's clear that I do) or should I just be happy to stay under my calorie goals most days?!

thanks friends

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You want the straight truth? All this nonsense surrounding sugar is complete horse****. It takes a lot of time to explain why but look for a video on youtube with the title including "Alan Aragon" and "sugar is toxic." The video is long but he goes on to explain why Lustig's position of sugar being toxic is just nonsense.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    AH, as per usual, is right. sugar in excess is bad -- just like everything in excess. but keep it reasonable, don't go binging on the candy aisle, and you're fine. sugar 'limits' on here are fairly ridiculous. if you are eating good food, keeping under your calorie limit, your sugars are more than likely fine.

(this assumes you don't have a medical condition, of course, relating to sugar.)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost 305 lbs. and never once have a tracked sugar.... ever.... and I am a type 2 diabetic..... I concentrate on carbs, calories, fat, and protein....... If you eat within you caloric intake and eat fairly clean, I just don't see the point of tracking it.....
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I don't have sensitivity to sugar, so I just ignore my natural good sugars (fruits, veggies, milk) and count the worse sugars (pasta, sweets, and foods with added sugar/corn syrup. If it bothers you, you can manually adjust your sugars goal preferences in your food goal settings.
  • lshaw12302
    Options
    I personally believe I am addicited to sugar and there are so many foods it is added to that you would never suspect. I haven't listened to the youtube mentioned but will. I would love for someone to tell me it is baloney but for me the sweetness of one bite makes me want a million more and generally they are not the ' good for you' foods......
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same about Sugar...usuaully have eaten my daily amount before I get out of the house. I eat a lot of fruit for snacks and they are high in Sugar. I have lost just over 40 lbs, have dropped my Blood pressure from 140/90 to 120/70 and lowered my resting heart rate from 90+ to between 65-70. I run three to four times a week (up to 10 Kms currently) and try to add a strength exercise 1-2 times a week. The way I look at it, is if I can do all this my "high" daily sugar content cannot be hurting me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    27 grams is unrealistically low. If you want to track sugar so that you aren't excessive with it fine. But set your number higher if it bothers you to go over. Or jsut don't track it as others have suggested.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's not sugar as a whole that is the devil, it's foods with tons of added sugars, mainly highly processed foods. I LOVE sugar so I was able to find balanced by not buying things that have figh fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetners in it. I found that when I ate things that had regular sugar in it (not necessarily high amounts either), it tasted better to me and I ate less of it.

There are one or two products that I have had that still contain the things I'm trying to avoid, but for the most part, I've felt a lot better and have stopped obsessing about sugar in general. My advice about it is just read labels and be informed about all the different names added sugars and artificial sweetners are given. That mess is in about 80% - 90% of ALL types of products - including ones you wouldn't think even needed to be sweet.