Atheism vs. Anti-Religion

Options
femmi1120
femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
I'm going to start off by saying that I am an Atheist.

Despite being an Atheist, I can honestly say I have no problem with religious topics, whatever that religion may be. I don't think it's that hard to just ignore the topic. The way I see it, they're entitled to voice their beliefs just like anyone else.

Yet I keep seeing these religious topics popping up and some people just can't seem to help commenting solely to make fun of them and I really don't see the point.

I don't like having someone's religion shoved down my throat any more than the next guy, but when you go into these topics knowing what they're about only to tell the OP their religion is wrong, all you're really doing is sinking down to their level (or rather, the level of religious extremists who shove their beliefs down people's throats). Think about it. You're not going to change anyone's mind or even give them something to think about, so the only thing you're accomplishing is making yourself look like complete tool.

So, my point: If you actually have something to add to the topic, that's one thing. Otherwise, I think some atheist are crossing the line from being non-religious to actually being anti-religion.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I really don't feel the main forum is the place for this.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Do not start this , the problems with these threads is not whether they accept religion or not it is that they cannot understand the fallacies they employ with their assertions and neither the implications they employ.

end thread.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I like pie. :smile:

The chances of this ending well are pretty much zero.:tongue:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Helpful!

Sadly I find that the people who complain about how judgmental theists are, are equally judgmental. There are atheists I'd love to punch in the nose.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying now that we have a group for this sort of thing. No need for it to be in the main forum.

MFP Atheists. Message me if you need an invite.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    760779_o.gif
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Do not start this , the problems with these threads is not whether they accept religion or not it is that they cannot understand the fallacies they employ with their assertions and neither the implications they employ.

end thread.
    ...and this makes my point.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I like pie. :smile: :drinker:

what about the lose or loose thread...nothing like beating a dead horse
    thread closed in...3......2......
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I like pie. :smile:
    You too??????????
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    760779_o.gif

Glad you found a home for Carlton!

**edit...gah! Where did the awesome gif go?!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Helpful!

Sadly I find that the people who complain about how judgmental theists are, are equally judgmental. There are atheists I'd love to punch in the nose.

Bite me. :flowerforyou:
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "Apatheism also known as pragmatic atheism or (critically) as practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity. Apatheism describes the manner of acting towards a belief or lack of a belief in a deity; so applies to both theism and atheism. An apatheist is also someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. In other words, an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to his or her life."
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    How about those boobs...:ohwell: :tongue:
    some people here are judgmental d-bags..period..wether talking about religion....boobs...etc
    dont let them ruffle my feathers
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I disagree. I think it is the perfect place for this. I'm not going to take it to a group, because I really think it's something everyone needs to see.

The only reason we aren't supposed to discuss religion on the forums is because it leads to arguments and flamewars. Why does it lead to those? Because people can't seem to discuss the sensitive topics in a mature fashion. I think if people knew when to comment and when to simply move on to another topic, everyone could discuss religion, politics, and other topics without it getting blown out of proportion.

end thread.

And if you're going to point out these fallacies using facts, then you're adding something to the discussion. That's not what I have a problem with. I have a problem with people going onto religious threads essentially just to say "Your religion is wrong and you're stupid."
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello - I just want to let you know this topic has been locked. Divisive topics such as this are best as a private group.
    15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
This discussion has been closed.