Yoga versus lifting for strength training?

Options

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

*core* is not all there is to strength training.
    Of course not. It's just part of it.
    The part about reps is a valid point. You aren't stressing the same muscle over and over and over in multiple sets in yoga. It's not designed that way. Both my points are still valid with those reasoning.

not necessarily. I can really only speak for Ashtanga where there is a lot of repetition, both of the same postures and also using the same muscle groups in different postures in sequences which build.
    As for the restricting of movement that isn't always true. Some lift programs use a stretching method called extreme stretching which counters this some. Like DC/DS programs.

I'll accept that - that's why I said "*can* restrict movement" rather than "does". You need to take care in weight training that you don't end up with restricted movement -incorporating strecthing is always going to help.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That's not my actual instructor. It's a picture from the internet to show what she looks like.

Man, that guy has some serious washboard action going!

My apologies. I suspect your instructor still practices a lot more than you'd expect. My students (kung fu) often ask why I move more fluidly than them. Practice!

As for that guy, well, at least his abs distract you from his unusually sculpted peepee. :bigsmile:
  • luztrella
    luztrella Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you only are going to do one or the other I think yoga is by far a better choice for total body conditioning. Some of the people who only lift weights can't even touch their toes! But I think using the weights is a good supplement, particularly because it allows you to target specific muscles which ultimately can facilitate a better yoga practice. I had an instructor years ago who was in her eighties, she looked thin and maybe a bit frail but she was in better shape and stronger than I was by a long shot and I was very young and athletic at the time.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I dunno, though....this is more what my teacher looks like:

http://www.yogacentercarmel.org/instructors/katie.jpg

Rawr...I'd be okay with these results.

She's an ex-gymnast... her body has been well-conditioned and yoga is just keeping it in good condition. Plus she probably runs classes all day. Are you prepared to do 8 hours of yoga a day?

But it is interesting. Once I've achieved my first goal, I was planning on going back to bodyweight exercises and training like a gymnast to see what can be achieved.

male-gymnast-body.jpg

That's not my actual instructor. It's a picture from the internet to show what she looks like.

I'd place a large bet that he hits the weights as well as trains in gymnastics. It's all about balance and to be the best you have to be well rounded.
  • kirstyrae81
    Options
    I have seen the most transformation in my body from barre3 (combination of yoga, pilates and ballet barre - probably any of the barre based workouts are quite similar, but that is the only one I have experienced). I'm not looking for the strength gains that everyone on here raves about though. I like the long, lean muscle tone that I get from barre3 and have zero interest in anything like crossfit or other heavy lifting programs. It's a total body workout in each class and my body has absolutely never looked better (well, maybe when I was about 19, but certainly not since). I'm sure it just depends on your ultimate goals, but (and I know I'm likely to get criticized for saying this) I greatly prefer body weight exercise like yoga or pilates and/or light weight circuit training and I have experienced results that I'm thrilled with. Again, it's all about what you want though.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I have seen the most transformation in my body from barre3 (combination of yoga, pilates and ballet barre - probably any of the barre based workouts are quite similar, but that is the only one I have experienced). I'm not looking for the strength gains that everyone on here raves about though. I like the long, lean muscle tone that I get from barre3 and have zero interest in anything like crossfit or other heavy lifting programs. It's a total body workout in each class and my body has absolutely never looked better (well, maybe when I was about 19, but certainly not since). I'm sure it just depends on your ultimate goals, but (and I know I'm likely to get criticized for saying this) I greatly prefer body weight exercise like yoga or pilates and/or light weight circuit training and I have experienced results that I'm thrilled with. Again, it's all about what you want though.

Exactly but at the same time, women especially need to realize that you aren't going to get big and bulky by lifting heavy at the same time. That is such a myth.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I'd place a large bet that he hits the weights as well as trains in gymnastics. It's all about balance and to be the best you have to be well rounded.

What you say makes sense. Be interested to find out the truth.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

She's an ex-gymnast... her body has been well-conditioned and yoga is just keeping it in good condition. Plus she probably runs classes all day. Are you prepared to do 8 hours of yoga a day?

But it is interesting. Once I've achieved my first goal, I was planning on going back to bodyweight exercises and training like a gymnast to see what can be achieved.

male-gymnast-body.jpg

Yup, strength training will be part of his regimen.
  • melodymist
    melodymist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do both! I switch it up I do yoga and pilates for abs 4 days a week and strength train 3 days a week and I do Zumba rush maybe 3 days a week also! Just do what is more comfortable to you.

Do you do the Zumba rush as cardio? that's the 20 min one right?
  • kirstyrae81
    Options

Exactly but at the same time, women especially need to realize that you aren't going to get big and bulky by lifting heavy at the same time. That is such a myth.

I hear what you're saying and certainly will not say you're incorrect. I know a lot of women who look amazing from doing many different forms of exercise, some lifting heavy, some not. However my (female) cousin is a crossfit instructor and, trust me, she has built bulk. A lot of it (at 5'6, she's about 165lbs and VERY low body fat %). And, while that works for her and she loves the strength in her body, it is not a goal I share. I won't say it's unattractive because of course that is all relative, but I definitely don't want my body to look like hers. And, admittedly, she does far more heavy lifting than any other person I know, not just females.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

male-gymnast-body.jpg

Yup, strength training will be part of his regimen.

Apparently, not!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/all_muscle_no_iron;jsessionid=337151DB585D801E1ABB5CEAA34F5A91-mcd01.hydra

(Hope that link works.)
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options

My apologies. I suspect your instructor still practices a lot more than you'd expect. My students (kung fu) often ask why I move more fluidly than them. Practice!

As for that guy, well, at least his abs distract you from his unusually sculpted peepee. :bigsmile:

Oh god, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out! My eyes!

You're definitely right, she's a yoga instructor, after all, and I'm a desk jockey. Cue me furiously googling how to become a zumba instructor in 3,2,1....
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options

We have similar body type goals. I prefer a more willowy look on myself.

I wish I could get into yoga, my brain just gets so restless. (All the more reason to take it, right?) Argh.

I have a friend who does barre and looks amazing, like a model but with delicate musculature. I'm onto her now!

Thanks for the tip.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying and certainly will not say you're incorrect. I know a lot of women who look amazing from doing many different forms of exercise, some lifting heavy, some not. However my (female) cousin is a crossfit instructor and, trust me, she has built bulk. A lot of it (at 5'6, she's about 165lbs and VERY low body fat %). And, while that works for her and she loves the strength in her body, it is not a goal I share. I won't say it's unattractive because of course that is all relative, but I definitely don't want my body to look like hers. And, admittedly, she does far more heavy lifting than any other person I know, not just females.

That bulk likely had more to do with diet than with heavy lifting. Women can bulk up, but to do so it would require a caloric surplus (in addition to the lifting routine).
  • kirstyrae81
    Options

We have similar body type goals. I prefer a more willowy look on myself.

I wish I could get into yoga, my brain just gets so restless. (All the more reason to take it, right?) Argh.

I have a friend who does barre and looks amazing, like a model but with delicate musculature. I'm onto her now!

Thanks for the tip.

I hope you get a chance to try it! I'm not sure what you have available where you live, but if you go to mybarre3.com, you can get unlimited online access for $15 a month. It's not as fun as going to the studios, but it's way cheaper and you really can do it anywhere. I use it when I travel (which is often) and am able to stick to my routine (sort of anyway) without having to lug around bulky athletic shoes in my bag.
  • kirstyrae81
    Options

That bulk likely had more to do with diet than with heavy lifting. Women can bulk up, but to do so it would require a caloric surplus (in addition to the lifting routine).

That's very possible. I'm sure you know more about it than I do. She sticks to the paleo diet. I don't know how much of it she eats though. :) I just know I want to avoid whatever it is she does.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    That's very possible. I'm sure you know more about it than I do. She sticks to the paleo diet. I don't know how much of it she eats though. :) I just know I want to avoid whatever it is she does.

Understandable, stick with whatever is working for you and you enjoy (yoga would do wonders for me; it would improve my lifting and go a long way at improving my skill in the martial arts I practice...but my fat *kitten* isn't going to sit in sweat box trying to turn into a pretzel while old ladies laugh at me =P). I just felt it important to mention that body composition has a lot to do with both diet and exercise, and that you can't have one without the other. Men aren't going to massively increase their 'bulkyness' without eating for it AND working out for it, women even more so for genetic reasons.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Understandable, stick with whatever is working for you and you enjoy (yoga would do wonders for me; it would improve my lifting and go a long way at improving my skill in the martial arts I practice...but my fat *kitten* isn't going to sit in sweat box trying to turn into a pretzel while old ladies laugh at me =P). I just felt it important to mention that body composition has a lot to do with both diet and exercise, and that you can't have one without the other. Men aren't going to massively increase their 'bulkyness' without eating for it AND working out for it, women even more so for genetic reasons.

Correct! She might also be supplementing some to help her bulk, as women have an even harder time than men when it comes to bulking.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If I had access to a gym, I would be doing weight lifting in addition to what I'm doing, which is strength training, circuits, pilates and yoga. They all do different things. Although, I will say that if I can get to be even half as good and toned as these pretzel people that are on my yoga DVDs, I'll be thrilled.

True story from back in the days when I used to go to a gym. One of the personal trainers got dragged into our yoga class by his girlfriend. He couldn't do half the things that our very unassuming looking (toned and fit, but not popping muscles all over the place) instructor could. She had better balance, coordination, flexibility and strength that combined all of the other three than he did. I'm sure she can't bench or deadlift what he could, but if I had to pick one to model myself after, I'd choose the yoga instructor.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    If I had access to a gym, I would be doing weight lifting in addition to what I'm doing, which is strength training, circuits, pilates and yoga. They all do different things. Although, I will say that if I can get to be even half as good and toned as these pretzel people that are on my yoga DVDs, I'll be thrilled.

True story from back in the days when I used to go to a gym. One of the personal trainers got dragged into our yoga class by his girlfriend. He couldn't do half the things that our very unassuming looking (toned and fit, but not popping muscles all over the place) instructor could. She had better balance, coordination, flexibility and strength that combined all of the other three than he did. I'm sure she can't bench or deadlift what he could, but if I had to pick one to model myself after, I'd choose the yoga instructor.

I bet if you ask a lot of your instructors they combine some form of strength training in as well. Most instructors know that being balance is key.