Pyle Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hey everyone, I just got a new heart monitor: a Pyle Sports HRM (PHRM38). However, I have no idea how to use it. I put the watch on and tried strapping the belt to my chest (after putting a little water like I was supposed to). Is there anything else, I should be doing besides this because when I checked my watch my present heart rate was not there. Also, I tried moving around for a little bit to check the calorie counter and nothing. If anyone knows how to use this, please let me know! I want to start my workout soon and I want to have an accurate calorie reading.

Replies

• genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Anyone?
  • charmander89
    charmander89 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you from memory what you need to do but make sure you follow all of the instructions. Have you put in your information like weight and age?

Once everything is set up and you are able to see the time and date, click the mode button once and it should show your heart rate below the time. To track calories you need to be using the stopwatch (keep clicking mode until it shows up, click start/stop button to activate, make sure it is going while you do your exercise). When you finish your workout you pause the stopwatch (start/stop button) and then you can click the set/reset button and your calories burned should appear.

If you don't have a manual google "Pyle Sports HRM PHRM38 manual," and you should be able to find one. I had to read through 3 or 4 times before I figured everything out.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I do have the manual it is just that the instructions are not that great. Does my heart rate show up once I start exercising (once I have done everything you mentioned)? Also, do you have any idea how to calculate the VO2 Max (so that I can input it into the watch)?
  • charmander89
    Options
    Your heart rate should show up as long as you are wearing the belt (even if you're not exercising). If its not showing up maybe you should open the battery compartment in the belt to make sure the battery is in properly. Maybe it was put in backwards or something :S
  • charmander89
    Options
    Also, I have no idea about the VO2 Max, I just left that blank.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Did you push the button on the watch so it connects to your chest strap?
    and the battery is good?
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Which button?
  • shauna9909
    shauna9909 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had bought the same one........I returned it after a week and a half. The heart rate isn't always correct, and the calorie count was always way off. Did you get yours working??
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Glad that I saw this.

You have to push the lower left button. You will see a heart start to beep and some dashes. Then after a moment your HR should appear.

To calculate your calories burned. You will have to push the bottom left button a few times.

This is off of the top of my head.
    Left bottom button

Push 1 Picks up HR
    Push 2 Max HR
    Push 3 Average HR
    Push 4 You can set your max HR (Range while working out)
    Push 5 You set your lowest HR (Range while working out)
    Push 6 should put you at the stop watch
    Now Bottom right button. Push and hold right button. This will reset calories and reset stop watch.

To start the stop watch, push top right button. To check calories, just push bottom right. To restart stop watch, press top right button.

Push 7 of bottom left button should let you set your age
    Push 8 weight in KG
    Push 9 Vo2Max
    Push 10 Max HR (it calculates that by your age)

To set your date and time, you will start this process by holding the left bottom button.

To set my VO2Max, I found a step test. I also downloaded the metronome app so I was stepping at the right pace. then I used the VO2Max calculator that I found online.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I also don't remember how to set it up, but I use spit (gross, I know) to wet the strap, not water, and it seems to work better.

I have the same one and have been using it since December 2011- I personally find it very accurate and it works great- good luck.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I tried the spit thing and I think it was working for the first time! I want to take a bike ride but I am a little nervous that it won't last (I only tried it for a minute did some moving around and it said I burned like 2 calories and also I will be sweating a lot when biking).
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Never mind it is acting up again. The heart rate thing doesn't start blinking until I pick up something and then random numbers start showing up (also gets messed up if i am kneeling or sitting).
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a tube of gel to put some on the electrode or whatever it's called. I didn't know you used water.. but maybe using the gel will help with accuracy??
  • nickirizarry1
    Options
    I know this is an old post...I have 58 model...I figured out that you must "pair" it first like a bluetooth. I went to the original screen like where it's just time and date, etc. Then held down the mode button to bring up a menu and the option was System and then go to "Pair" and then hit the start button until the "HR" shows up.
  • dirttech
    dirttech Posts: 1
    Options
    i got mine yesterday, now its beeping for no reason, anyone has any idea? im not wearing the chest strap. just sitting there on the table and it keeps beeping.
  • tabatha421
    Options
    The beeping is possibly because you have the heart rate alarm on. If it falls below the minimum or above max it beeps.
  • tamaramckee16
    Options
    Have hrm all set, working well. Doing DDP Diamond Dozen, second day. Trying to accurately calculate calories burnt. Stop watch mode works well, but.... at end of session I - press stop, then set and large number in center appears to be heart rate, then small number under kcal being calories burnt, press set again and next heart rate number appears with a different kcal count. Continue to press set and numbers appear to go all the way to max heart rate achieved during session with kcal numbers. Question, do i need to add all the kcal numbers together to calculate total kcals for session??
    -Tamara-
  • lizlevasa
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I hope someone can read this because I am going out of my mind with this whole weight loss thing.
    I bought the pyle sports heart rate monitor a couple weeks ago and it works fairly well. I am confused about whether or not it is accurately monitoring my calorie burn.I entered my max heart rate as well as my lowest heart rate(my resting heart rate?)
    I also entered my age and my weight in kilograms. I was unsure of my vo2 max though. But I have since found it out but I do not know how to get back to that part of the settings to enter the amount. I am also confused about the kcal thing. Is a kcal the same as a calorie? So if my calorie burn readout says 14 Kilocalories is that the same as I burnt 14 calories?