New.. pearshaped and need help.

Options
hi, my name is amanda. i am new to myfitnesspal, and thought i'd post here for some help and motivation to those with the same goal as me or to those that I have in common with.

I have 10 lbs that I want to lose.. and really need some feed back/help as far as workouts.
I seem to have the eating healthy part down.. but i'm not sure if i'm doing the right cardio workouts.
I was told at the gym that running/walking on incline builds muscle while consuming alot of protein, I aim for at least 95-100mg a day because it keeps me fuller longer and carbs tend to make me more hungry.

what has helped you? do you incline when on cardio machines? I really want to slim my lower body down and eventually get into weight workouts after I lose the weight.. so what do you recommend? thanks

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just keep working out. Spot exercising won't remove fat from your hips although it will help tone the muscles there. Cardio is the only way to reduce the fat anywhere on your body. Good luck!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do around 100 carbs and 150 protein.

I also teach Zumba. I make my routines where we are burning fat and building muscle. I like this a lot because I feel it gives a sexy body with curves. if you have a pear shape, I think this would be a great workout to round out that butt and curves. Maybe if your gym offers it, you should do some sort of dance workout class! :)
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    In my mind I think if you incorperated some weight lifting and high impact cardio I thin you'd be on the right track. You weight may not change much but your measurements will and with the weights it will make you body look more lean.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Simply eat in a caloric deficit... figure out your TDEE and RMR... eat between those #'s. Keep doing it... don't give up after 2 weeks. It takes time. Caloric deficit is all that's required to lose fat.

And you don't have to reach your "ideal weight" before picking up a barbell. I recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. There's also Stronglifts & New Rules of Lifting For Women... though I would go with SS or SL if I were you. They're simpler... less isolation, just the compound moves.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) We sound fairly similar, I'm very pear shaped too, always have been (your body is so stunning by the way) and I have about 10-12 pounds to lose too.
    The thing that helped me most in the past (Ive gained back a little of the weight now so I'm working on it again!) was walking, my thighs slimmed down so much and all the cellulite on my butt and the back of my legs disappeared. I aimed for 30-60 minutes about 5 days a week and when I walked outside I stuck to hills, on the treadmill I did varying levels of incline. I preferred it to running because it didnt bulk up my calves as much and I could work out for much longer.
    Strength training is important too, focusing on things like squats/lunges, the usual, but from my own experience cardio was more effective as a starting point. Got rid of my love handles too!
    Good luck :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Simply eat in a caloric deficit... figure out your TDEE and RMR... eat between those #'s. Keep doing it... don't give up after 2 weeks. It takes time. Caloric deficit is all that's required to lose fat.

And you don't have to reach your "ideal weight" before picking up a barbell. I recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. There's also Stronglifts & New Rules of Lifting For Women... though I would go with SS or SL if I were you. They're simpler... less isolation, just the compound moves.

^^this.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    hi, my name is amanda. i am new to myfitnesspal, and thought i'd post here for some help and motivation to those with the same goal as me or to those that I have in common with.

I have 10 lbs that I want to lose.. and really need some feed back/help as far as workouts.
    I seem to have the eating healthy part down.. but i'm not sure if i'm doing the right cardio workouts.
    I was told at the gym that running/walking on incline builds muscle while consuming alot of protein, I aim for at least 95-100mg a day because it keeps me fuller longer and carbs tend to make me more hungry.

what has helped you? do you incline when on cardio machines? I really want to slim my lower body down and eventually get into weight workouts after I lose the weight.. so what do you recommend? thanks

I'm pear-shaped too, and I'm a pretty low weight, and at least based on my scale, a fairly low body fat percentage for my age, although I used to weigh much less when younger. Not everyone will agree with this advice but I believe that if you are a short, pear-shaped woman who is exercising in part for appearance and not for a sport, you should not use heavy weights on the lower body or use the incline on the treadmill. You could end up looking short and squat.

Every part of my body that I've exercised with weights has gotten bigger. Not male weightlifter huge, but bigger. This is fine for my arms because they have almost no fat. But I don't want my lower body (except my calves) to be any bigger and adding muscle to an area where my body wants to distribute fat would only create an unpleasing effect.

I know that people swear up and down in this forum that weights will never make a woman bigger, but it's more complex than that.
  • dustygn
    dustygn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle isn't always about gaining inches. While muscle is heavier than fat, as long as you look leaner, and can fit into your clothes better, who cares. Keep an eye on your measurements to track your progress. The added benefit of a higher muscle mass is that it promotes a higher metabolism. As long as you are keeping on eye on your diet every thing should be fine. A composition test, which can be done at most gyms, will provide you with the most accurate information on your muscle to fat ratio.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options

I'm pear-shaped too, and I'm a pretty low weight, and at least based on my scale, a fairly low body fat percentage for my age, although I used to weigh much less when younger. Not everyone will agree with this advice but I believe that if you are a short, pear-shaped woman who is exercising in part for appearance and not for a sport, you should not use heavy weights on the lower body or use the incline on the treadmill. You could end up looking short and squat.

Every part of my body that I've exercised with weights has gotten bigger. Not male weightlifter huge, but bigger. This is fine for my arms because they have almost no fat. But I don't want my lower body (except my calves) to be any bigger and adding muscle to an area where my body wants to distribute fat would only create an unpleasing effect.

I know that people swear up and down in this forum that weights will never make a woman bigger, but it's more complex than that.

EXACTLY agree..
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My pear shaped friend who is like a size extra small on top and a size 9 on bottom finds the only way she can shed the bottom is daily running and weight lifting.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Gaining muscle isn't always about gaining inches.

You're right, it isn't. But some people do gain inches because of where they're putting on the muscle. As the OP is concerned about this I gave her my opinion which is based on my own experience, my observations and what I've read.
  • JennieAL
    Options

EXACTLY agree..

Hahaha. Ok. Pick up some barbie weights for your arms... you'll surely balance yourself out that way. And run yourself ragged on your inclined treadmill.

Yes, it's "more complex" in that if you don't get rid of fat, you will appear larger... so, eat in a calorie deficit. Now you've un-complicated things.

Come on... we all carry fat & muscle differently on our frames, genetic differences. There is only so much you can do to alter your appearance. It would be nice to lengthen leg bones, widen hips, narrow hips, etc... what women should realize is that using heavy weights, and compound moves (squats & deadlifts) is going to help your appearance overall. Some of us are NEVER going to have the legs or *kitten* we want... or tits, for that matter. Do what you can with what you've got...

My legs have done nothing but improve since I started lifting heavy... and I'm a pear shape. It's done nothing but emphasize my small waist... made my *kitten* perk up, leaned out my legs... yes, it's leaned out my legs. Have my leg muscles gotten larger? I dunno, but when I look in the mirror... I see a definite improvement.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

EXACTLY agree..

Hahaha. Ok. Pick up some barbie weights for your arms... you'll surely balance yourself out that way. And run yourself ragged on your inclined treadmill.

Yes, it's "more complex" in that if you don't get rid of fat, you will appear larger... so, eat in a calorie deficit. Now you've un-complicated things.

Come on... we all carry fat & muscle differently on our frames, genetic differences. There is only so much you can do to alter your appearance. It would be nice to lengthen leg bones, widen hips, narrow hips, etc... what women should realize is that using heavy weights, and compound moves (squats & deadlifts) is going to help your appearance overall. Some of us are NEVER going to have the legs or *kitten* we want... or tits, for that matter. Do what you can with what you've got...

My legs have done nothing but improve since I started lifting heavy... and I'm a pear shape. It's done nothing but emphasize my small waist... made my *kitten* perk up, leaned out my legs... yes, it's leaned out my legs. Have my leg muscles gotten larger? I dunno, but when I look in the mirror... I see a definite improvement.

From another pear shapes person = ^^^this double.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

^^this.

^^^this
  • mfpcopine
    Options

EXACTLY agree..

I don't use "Barbie" weights, and I have a feeling I've been exercising and reading about exercise for far longer than you have. Whether to use heavy weights on your lower half depends on your goals. I said that in the response you quoted. It IS a complex subject and depends on the individual's genetic make up.

It should say something to you that women athletes and dancers who are concerned about the appearance of their legs do not use heavy weights or are very careful about how they are used. Do you think they are all stupid? They depend on their bodies for their livelihoods. I've also read interviews with trainers for movie stars who've talked about the same concern with their pear-shaped clients. What incentive do they have to make that up?

The people who advocate weight work for women are often as dogmatic as the people who used to claim that strength training would harm women. It's not a black and white subject and I would have thought that the discussion of weight training for women would be more sophisticated at this point. I was wrong.
  • mrswinstead
    Options

EXACTLY agree..

Same with myself.
  • w84skm2c
    w84skm2c Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you guys mean by pear shaped, because I don't see that in the pictures of your profile. But I have ALWAYS had thick legs. My family used to call me 'Thunder Thighs'. But once I started running, my legs started to lose inches. And it was by a whole lot! I am only 5'1", and I went from weighing 115 lbs to 110 lbs just from running. And the place you could really tell were in my hips/thighs area. So you can definitely slim down, but you actually have to run/walk. I noticed that treadmills don't work the same as physically running either. Because I used to 'run' on the treadmill before I actually started running, and it never changed the way I looked.

Mind you, this is all back when I was 22. I now weigh 132 lbs and still have 17 lbs to go!! I just started walking again because I've been pregnant back-to-back (almost) for the past five and a half years.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I am not sure what you guys mean by pear shaped, because I don't see that in the pictures of your profile. But I have ALWAYS had thick legs. My family used to call me 'Thunder Thighs'.

Part of it may be a definitional problem. But I agree, if you have large thighs and want to slim down, walking and running is usually the best exercise.

Many years ago, when I belonged to a different gym, a generally very unattractive woman trainer who had huge thighs used to tell me I should lift heavier. (She wanted me to sign up for sessions. But she looked like she was in terrible shape herself.) A friend of mine, a 6', stocky man, used to tell me lift heavy, and I told him I thought that squats with heavy weights would not give me the results I wanted. His wife worked out all the time with weights but she had a completely different build from me. She was like a tall, shapely toothpick.

I'm kind of amazed that given the diversity of body shapes that so many people would think that the same workout was appropriate for everyone.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I don't use "Barbie" weights, and I have a feeling I've been exercising and reading about exercise for far longer than you have. Whether to use heavy weights on your lower half depends on your goals.

Ok, congratulations for "feeling" that you've outdone me there. I hope if feels good. :) But it certainly means nothing to me. Knowledge acquisition isn't a monopoly held by grandmas.

Sure, it absolutely does depend on the goal. I was responding to the OP, first of all... not you, about the barbie weights. And I was being tongue-in-cheek about the barbie weights, btw.