New...kind of.

Options
I've been on MFP for a couple years but have only really used it once for maybe 2 days. Was never truly motivated until now. I've tried many times to lose weight but always gave up within a week or else a couple days, mainly because I LOVE food and was never able to quit eating greasy deep fried foods, until now. I think I am finally truly ready to do this!

Last month, march 1st I had quick smoking after 7 years. I am now on day 46 of being cigarette free! Yay! And two weeks ago i sat down and thought to myself, if I have the self control to quit smoking when I was truly addicted to it (and do it completely cold turkey) then I can and will lose weight!

After quiting smoking I have realized I want to become truly healthy! And I'm really excited about it!

Right now I'm 168lbs and aiming for about 120lbs. I'm 22 years old and 5"0 tall... Or I guess short in my case.

Anyways! Thanks for hearing me out, but really I just came on here to ask if any of you had any good tips, advice or help for me? Everything I've been learning has been from research but I'd like some help from real people how have actually been succeeding with weight loss.

Right now I've changed a lot in my life with dieting, walking and working out everyday.

I've only been Doing the dieting for a week now and working out or 2 weeks. But I'm going to keep going! But please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MiriLi2015
    MiriLi2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking, that is AWESOME!!!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing the right things. Exercise, healthy eating, and not smoking!!! Good luck and keep at it. As you stated, if you can quit smoking you can drop some pounds. Go get ummmmm!!!!
  • justkrissy
    justkrissy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! It's really hard considering every single one of my Friends still smoke, including my hubbie! Atleast now I won't let him smoke in the house! Hehe
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on quitting smoking! I am a former smoker myself (going on 8 years cig free now) and I promise it DOES get easier and easier. I can't even imagine smoking now.

Second, congrats on making the decision to get healthy and eat right. Both of these are no easy task so kudos to you!

I am around the same height/weight as you and since I also love to eat, I found that I need to exercise more. If I exercise enough, I can eat the foods I enjoy - moderating the "bad" stuff, of course.

I'm glad you made the decision to come back to MFP because it's a great community with a lot of support. Some of my friends on here are the direct reason why I come back and log every day. Good luck to you and feel free to friend me.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! It's really hard considering every single one of my Friends still smoke, including my hubbie! Atleast now I won't let him smoke in the house! Hehe

I had to stay away from my friends who smoked for the first few weeks. I also changed a few of my "trigger" habits ie: coffee, chinese food, certain bars etc. I eventually went back to my normal lifestyle but I made the beginning as easy on myself as possible.
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats, I know quitting can be tougher than most ppl imagen and it looks like your totally changing your life approach which is amazing.

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey, my gf recently quit as well and every time she has a craving she's been going for a walk (yup even at work but luckly she has a kick *kitten* boss that is very supportive). Feel free to add me if you like I'm a bit taller than you but we have very similar goals .
  • justkrissy
    Options

I had to stay away from my friends who smoked for the first few weeks. I also changed a few of my "trigger" habits ie: coffee, chinese food, certain bars etc. I eventually went back to my normal lifestyle but I made the beginning as easy on myself as possible.

Yah, I replaced smoking with a Water bottle! lol, I don't know why but it works for me. It is one that has a straw type thing, so when ever I'm around people who are smoking, or when I want a smoke, I just sip on water and chew the crap out of the mouth peice of the bottle. Definitely helps me to drink the 8 cups I need a day! haha
  • lwashington28
    Options
    i had to move home and i gained 24 pounds since that moment i got off the scale i knew i had to take my life back. i know you don't know me but im here if you need someone to talk too. hugs
  • justkrissy
    Options
    Wow, I must say, at first I was a little shy to talk on these Forums, but I have a feeling, it was a good idea. Everyone here is so nice! Thank you!
  • justkrissy
    Options
    Also! Looking for any support buddies! :)
  • cdubbz11
    cdubbz11 Posts: 17
    Options
    Congratulations on being smoke free :) That's my next goal. Add me let's keep each other going with motivation :D
    I just joined yesterday
  • UNTEagles
    UNTEagles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being smoke free. I am new...kind of, too. I have been on here for awhile. When I return from living overseas for 2 years, I have found it hard to stay in shape. I definitely need some motivation and I am determined to get back in shape again. Feel free to add me. Any support anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Awesome News & Congratulations On Being Smoke Free!!! I'm Very Happy For On Your Healthy Journey!! Keep It Up & I Know you well do it:):):)
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just remember that one bad day does NOT have to ruin your whole week. There will be days that you cave and eat all the bad for you stuff that you love....but tomorrow is another day and a fresh start.

The thing that I always have to remember...the longer it takes to come off, the more likely you are to keep it off!

Congrats on quitting and welcome back!
  • justkrissy
    Options
    Just remember that one bad day does NOT have to ruin your whole week. There will be days that you cave and eat all the bad for you stuff that you love....but tomorrow is another day and a fresh start.

The thing that I always have to remember...the longer it takes to come off, the more likely you are to keep it off!

Congrats on quitting and welcome back!

Yes, that was definitely my problem before. I gave up the second I screwed up. But I honestly think this time is different. But thank you! ^_^
  • robbielagard
    robbielagard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the smoking. That is great.. I have logged on fitness pal in the past but, didnt stick with it. I finally decided to research thru the whole my fitness pal site and found that it does and can work. I am 15 days strong now and have lost 9 lbs. The best advice that I can offer is to research the freind area for support, This is not FB so you really dont need a whole lot of people. I only selected 3. The women I chose have actually supported me and have given me encouragment on the days that I really needed it. Now I look forward to excercising and eating right . Good luck, but if you can quit smoking, you can do anything you put your mind to. :smile:
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want. Will try to answer any questions you might have.