Gluten-free...thoughts?

Options
I have recently thought about going gluten free - I'm super dependent on carbs and feel like this might help me shy away from them / get rid of my addiction to them! I heard the benefits are awesome! any thoughts?

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    it will definitely help cut down on the carbs! Except when you bake GF brownies that no one is eating but you .... (runs to chekc the stash of GF brownies in teh freezer)....yep. Still high in sugar! haha! But really- cutting out bagels, toasts, pastas, etc. does cut down on your carbs and it forces you to think of other ways to structure a meal! But where I live, there happens to be GF baked goods in every cafe and GF pizza's offered at the pizzaria...so...there you have it.
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I went GF due to tummy issues. After a few weeks I found that I had stopped craving sweets and bread so much. For a while I was eating GF bread, but now I don't and I don't miss it at all. I don't bake any GF goodies except for birthdays. Maybe once or twice a month we will have GF pasta. I do use corn tortillas for tacos and wraps, but don't use those much either. I feel like my belly bloating went down quit a bit and gas has mostly gone away too. You do have to make up for fiber and really eat your veggies and fruits though.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have recently thought about going gluten free - I'm super dependent on carbs and feel like this might help me shy away from them / get rid of my addiction to them! I heard the benefits are awesome! any thoughts?

If you have any symptoms of gluten sensitivity (bloating, abdominal discomfort, pain or diarrhea), or coeliac disease or maybe a wheat allergy, it would be a great idea. Otherwise, I can't think of any benefits.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

If you have any symptoms of gluten sensitivity (bloating, abdominal discomfort, pain or diarrhea), or coeliac disease or maybe a wheat allergy, it would be a great idea. Otherwise, I can't think of any benefits.

My thoughts exactly! I do it because I have digestive issues.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease and have been on the gluten-free diet for 2 years. I'm an expert at this diet. But you need to realize that there is a lot of misinformation about this diet. Since going on this diet, I have gained weight, not lost. Some of the weight I needed to gain because I was very thin when diagnosed. But it's very easy to gain weight on this diet because many gluten-free products have added sugar and fat to them to make them more tasty. But also many gluten-free products have more calories than their gluten counterparts. It is a myth that this diet will help lose weight. Sure, it might for some.
    2nd of all, I do NOT recommend this diet for anyone unless you have to be on it. This is because a. it's extremely hard to follow (if you are truly going completely gluten-free) and b. you can easily lose many key nutrients and fibers that are important to the body. Many people on the GF diet have moderate to severe vitamin deficiencies and have to take numerous vitamins.
    Lately, this diet has become a fad with many celebrities. Don't buy it. It's the "in" thing right now but that doesn't necessarly mean it's a good idea. It also really trivualizes the diet for those that have to be on it. If you really want to learn about the GF diet, I suggest you read books written by doctors on Celiac Disease, not celebrities like Elizabeth Hasselbeck.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've had to be gluten free for 13 years now and I have a background in nutrition (but I don't give official nutrition advice here). There are many levels of gluten sensitivity and many doctors who aware only of celiac disease and not the whole range of the sensitivities. That said, CoolClimate's right about the fact that in the US it IS still difficult to be completely gluten free (GF). It is also much more expensive. THAT said, if you avoid buying GF substitutes (GF bread, pizza, bagels, waffles, etc.) and simply avoid eating so many carbs, as you are planning to do, it IS a good way to approach it.

As someone else mentioned, it does force you to rethink how you structure your meals. And if you make sure you are eating a well-balanced diet (fairly easy to do with some research and work), you will most likely be eating HEALTHIER. There are a number of studies from the UK and Italy that show that people on GF lifestyles live, on average, 5 years longer than their counterparts. That's probably because GF people, until fairly recently, ate more veggies and fruit b/c there weren't as many palatable GF pastas, cookies, cakes, etc. to be found.

CoolClimate -- I am THRILLED that so many people are trying GF because it has drastically raised awareness of this issue that, as you know personally, is NOT merely a choice for most of us who MUST be GF. Yet the "popularity" of going GF right now has encouraged big companies such as General Mills and Betty Crocker and hundreds of smaller companies to produce and market GF products. Granted, not all of them are healthy, but for those who have children who must follow a GF diet, it's a huge help to be able to buy GF cereal or tell friends, family and classmates what brand of cake mix they can buy, etc, when planning holiday events or parties.

It is a different world today than it was even 7 years ago, let alone 13 years ago -- so much easier with clear labeling, not as much cross-contamination, so many choices (even in restaurants) and I am glad for any and all attention brought to our cause, even if it is celebrities touting it as a way to feel better and be healthier. Many people DO feel much better when GF because it is STILL a vastly under-diagnosed health issue. Just b/c someone doesn't have diagnosed celiac disease does not mean they don't have gluten problems. There is research that is beginning to show it is actually a spectrum of disorders -- the inability to properly digest/metabolize gluten -- that affects people in a number of different ways.

I recommend trying GF for a month and seeing how you feel! Cravings are actually one of the symptoms of being on the gluten-sensitivity spectrum. Please report back how you feel after the first few weeks! Good luck with whatever path you choose!
  • coolclimates
    Options
    In response to solarpower4, check out this article on the negative effects of media and Gf:
    http://glutendude.com/celiac/celiac-disease-gluten-media/

and "My Celiac Plea to Kim Kardashian"
    http://glutendude.com/gluten/kim-kardashian-goes-gluten-free/

he argues that all this exposure has hurt those who suffer from Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well the benefits to me are not having itchy face and developing hives and my throat constricting.

if you're not sensitive to gluten then i dont see the point in eliminating it. it's kind of a pain in *kitten* to get around since so many things your couldnt even realize have gluten in them. why make your life harder unless you absolutely have to?

and yeah i agree that the fadness of this has hurt those of us who have legitimate issues with gluten. heck i just got sick a few weeks ago because a pizza place was advertising they had gluten free pizza when in actuality it wasnt. apparently i'm the first person to call them out on it even though they've been selling it for months. i guess that means the people who have been getting it really have no way of knowing if what they eat does or does not have gluten.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have started reading "What Belly" and decided to go wheat/gluten free. I don't find i'm lacking anyting since I still eat other carbs/sprouted grains. I can say I feel much better, less bloated and i'm sure my stomach looks flatter!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We've been gluten free just over a year. I am sensitive and my wife has MS and it's the recommended diet approch for MS. It was hard at first, but now is pretty second nature. If you don't have to go GF it'll be really hard. The nice thing is with increased interest it is creating more GF products available in regular stores. We rarely have burgers and sandwiches anymore, but when we do we use a GF bagel, Udi's GF bread or GF english muffin. Problem is the bun is usually way higher in fats and calories than the meat. So it's a treat not a rergular meal. Meal structure as others said is key. We eat much more fresh fruit and veggies these days and really very little rice, GF pasta, or GF breads, but still get a lot of carbs in order to get all our fiber. I lost 11 lbs by just cutting Gluten and not changing anything else. Now my stomach feels better, not bloated anymore and that helped me tolerate dairy again although we have reduced that to just feta and parmesan and use almond milk. Read labels. I would never have thought spinach dip would have gluten in it, but we got some and sure enough it's in there. And it can be hidden under different names. Good luck and enjoy!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If you don't have to live the GF lifestyle, don't. Just cut down on your carbs and be contientious of what you are putting in your body. Alot of GF foods are higher in calories and sugar than the conventional foods. So take it from me, I am GF because I have to be, if you can stick to your conventional diet, do. Just cut out the breads and other high carb foods.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of celiac disease are not limited to digestive symptoms. Many celiacs have no digestive symptoms at all.

Here are some of the possible symptoms, but celiac disease can cause problems with any system in your body.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/1106/1/Celiac-Disease-Symptoms/Page1.html

I would not bother going gluten-free just in an effort to lose weight. When I went gluten free, I put on quite a bit of weight. Switching from wheat to gluten-free breads and treats will not necessarily cause you to lose weight. Commercial gluten free foods are lower in fibre, higher in starches and sugar.

If you are going to try to give up gluten, do it by eliminating commercial and processed foods and stick to naturally gluten-free whole foods. Sure, get rid of the bagels and replace them with brown rice, quinoa, vegetables, beans, etc.

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't find it difficult to be gluten free but I don't look for "replacement" products. I make flax bread and gluten free pizza crusts but I have never bought a single gluten free products to replace something else. Not necessary.
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    I am gluten free as well as my daughter as we are allergic. This is a long learning curve and I have help you if you want.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think people should avoid gluten unless they have a known and preferably diagnosed allergy or intolerance to it. You can actually cause yourself to DEVELOP a gluten intolerance by not having it in your diet and then reintroducing it.

Why not just reach for better carbs and limit them instead? Focus on having whole wheat grains or getting your carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you mean naturally gluten free as in no grains gluten free you'll lose weight :)
    If you mean switching from wheat/rye/barley products to corn/rice/potato then don't! It's more expensive and often has extra calories.

I'm gluten sensitive so please eat some french bread for me <3
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    If you mean naturally gluten free as in no grains gluten free you'll lose weight :)
    If you mean switching from wheat/rye/barley products to corn/rice/potato then don't! It's more expensive and often has extra calories.

I'm gluten sensitive so please eat some french bread for me <3

yes the alternative are higher in calories. There are a lot of great whole grains out there you can have. If it dosnt cause you pain i dont think its worth switching. I had no choice and I miss phyllo!
  • kforre6618
    Options
    Celiac, lactose intolerant for about 1-1/2 years and Type I diabetic for 39 years. I have no problem with the diet changes for non-gluten/dairyfree and cook 95% of what I eat to ensure a healthy balance. I do bake from scratch GF bread products as a personal preference as I like them better than pre-made variety and have no reason to give them up completely. I find by eating smaller meals and limiting what I'm eating to close to the amount of alloted daily calories, carbs, protein and fat I can maintain current weight. Occassionally have a day where the rules are broken, but that is why there is always tomorrow to get back on track....

I agree with everyone else - if you don't have a problem tolerating gluten, then there is no benefit for doing so.

I have found many good recipes on Paleo sites as they have healthy ideas that are gluten and dairy free. I'm not recommending going on that kind of extreme diet, just that some recipes may be of interest. I love to browse the gluten free recipe sites and appreciate all the work those folks put in to help make the rest of us healthier.