Yoga versus lifting for strength training?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Do both. I've been lifting heavy for about 2.5 months now. I'm throwing yoga back in for increased flexibility and such. Honestly, though, I have never seen strength gains from anything like I have the last couple months of heavy lifting.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great fro flexibility and fat burning but to build muscle you need to be able to increase the weight you are lifting and if you are losing weight doing yoga then you are doing the opposite. Both have their benefits. I would say do them both.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i'd say both. and you need variety because you want to keep "challenging" your muscles. I personally do just yoga because I've found that strength training got me REAL bulky, and yoga gives me lean muscle.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Just lift your yoga instructor ;)
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pick one over the other, go for both!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone--interesting to learn about the strength vs. lean muscle differentiation.

I am just *so* sore after this class, I figured it was the same as lifting weights.

I may do zumba and weights instead now, since I pretty much hate yoga, yet it's the only thing that makes me that sore.

If you hate yoga, don't do it! You can achieve your goals without it.

I agree with this, there are a million options out there to be active, so whatever you do should be something you enjoy. Also, all the yoga instructors that I personally know do more than strictly yoga. They all also teach various cardio and strength training classes.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yoga instructor:

randall.jpg

strength trainer:

strength-train-muscle-recov.jpg

Yoga has it's great benefits but strength training isn't it's strong suit. Yoga will get you fit and greatly help with flexibility but your strength training is going to taper off fast and early on vs lifting if you are looking for strength gains.

Hahaha! :)
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have seen the most transformation in my body from barre3 (combination of yoga, pilates and ballet barre - probably any of the barre based workouts are quite similar, but that is the only one I have experienced). I'm not looking for the strength gains that everyone on here raves about though. I like the long, lean muscle tone that I get from barre3 and have zero interest in anything like crossfit or other heavy lifting programs. It's a total body workout in each class and my body has absolutely never looked better (well, maybe when I was about 19, but certainly not since). I'm sure it just depends on your ultimate goals, but (and I know I'm likely to get criticized for saying this) I greatly prefer body weight exercise like yoga or pilates and/or light weight circuit training and I have experienced results that I'm thrilled with. Again, it's all about what you want though.

Thanks for the tip about barre3
    http://www.mybarre3.com/
    Much appreciated!! (:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Who says you can't do both? There are benefits to each and if you enjoy each of them individually, keep at it and get the best of both worlds! :flowerforyou:
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I see and feel the benefits of both. When I started lifting an instructor noticed that I was holding my breath a lot. As I continue to progress with yoga my breathing is so much better, making lifting easier. When I first started lifting I started losing my flexibility, now I have it back after doing yoga. I've noticed some really strong yoga instructors who will never lift a weight, but they have been practicing for hours a day for years! I've also seen some weight lifters who should try yoga because they can't bend over and touch their toes! I guess it's all about finding the best mix for you. For me, both is best.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have seen the most transformation in my body from barre3 (combination of yoga, pilates and ballet barre - probably any of the barre based workouts are quite similar, but that is the only one I have experienced). I'm not looking for the strength gains that everyone on here raves about though. I like the long, lean muscle tone that I get from barre3 and have zero interest in anything like crossfit or other heavy lifting programs. It's a total body workout in each class and my body has absolutely never looked better (well, maybe when I was about 19, but certainly not since). I'm sure it just depends on your ultimate goals, but (and I know I'm likely to get criticized for saying this) I greatly prefer body weight exercise like yoga or pilates and/or light weight circuit training and I have experienced results that I'm thrilled with. Again, it's all about what you want though.

Exactly but at the same time, women especially need to realize that you aren't going to get big and bulky by lifting heavy at the same time. That is such a myth.
    Of course you won't get big and bulky in the sense that you'd develop muscles like a man...but I've seen women with results that I personally would not want at all, especially in the shoulders/back area. I think those might be the type of results people refer to.

As for the actual question of the OP- I don't have an answer. But I'm curious so that's why I'm reading all the replies!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Or check out one of my teachers:
    http://christinasell.blogspot.com/

You have to scroll down a bit to see pictures. I've never asked her, but I does much of anything but yoga.

Keep in mind though, these fit teachers do yoga for 3 hours a day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Exactly but at the same time, women especially need to realize that you aren't going to get big and bulky by lifting heavy at the same time. That is such a myth.
    Of course you won't get big and bulky in the sense that you'd develop muscles like a man...but I've seen women with results that I personally would not want at all, especially in the shoulders/back area. I think those might be the type of results people refer to.
    I've been reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women and the one thing that does concern me is it talks about how if I follow the program, I should expect my shoulders to get bigger and I definitely don't want that! I have pretty broad shoulders already and I want to be able to wear tops and have them fit my figure without feeling constricted. And with large breasts, it's tough enough to find button-downs that don't stretch open. Larger shoulders would make it worse.

I also noticed a woman in the gym a few weeks ago who was teeny tiny and in great shape, but her arms were massive, almost manly. I don't want that to happen to me, either!

Bottom line is that women can post all the after photos of heavy lifting that they want and they may all be happy with the results, but all our bodies are different and will react differently to these exercises. There's no way to know your own results until you try it yourself. It's frustrating.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women and the one thing that does concern me is it talks about how if I follow the program, I should expect my shoulders to get bigger and I definitely don't want that! I have pretty broad shoulders already and I want to be able to wear tops and have them fit my figure without feeling constricted. And with large breasts, it's tough enough to find button-downs that don't stretch open. Larger shoulders would make it worse.

I also noticed a woman in the gym a few weeks ago who was teeny tiny and in great shape, but her arms were massive, almost manly. I don't want that to happen to me, either!

Bottom line is that women can post all the after photos of heavy lifting that they want and they may all be happy with the results, but all our bodies are different and will react differently to these exercises. There's no way to know your own results until you try it yourself. It's frustrating.
    Very true!
  • kirstyrae81
    Options

Thanks for the tip about barre3
    http://www.mybarre3.com/
    Much appreciated!! (:

I'm glad you included the website. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that (I don't do much posting on here and haven't read the rules). But, yes, mybarre3.com is an amazing tool. I am fortunate enough to live close to a studio so I can go to classes, but the online workouts are available anywhere, anytime and they're cheap! And, they're adding more all the time. They've been filming new ones in the studio I go to this week in fact, so look forward to a few more options soon!