Potatoes - Good Or Bad For Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• sherripaxton
    sherripaxton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My Dr. put me on a restricted diet and potatoes are out, as are most starches. But potato skins are fine because they are high in fiber. I'm not really heartbroken, I'm not a huge potato fan to begin with but cutting out rice is killing me.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds great! I like to cut them up into round slices and throw in a ziplock baggie with olive oil and whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, then bake. Healthier french fries and super easy.
    That's a great idea! I might try that this week actually. Thank you!

Btw what temperature do you bake them on when you prepare them this way?

Potatoes are usually cooked at a fairly high temperature, about 400 would be good.

However, allow me to offer some hopefully-unnecessary advice - you don't bake them IN the zip-loc. That's just to make sure the olive oil thoroughly coats the taters and give them some marinade time. Dump them out of the zip-loc into a baking pan before cooking.

You can also skip the zip-loc, I just put potatoes in a baking pan, spray a little olive oil over them with one of those hand-pump sprayers like Pampered Chef sells, then shake the seasoning on and bake. My favorite seasonings are garlic and oregano, but there are some fantastic curries that work really well if you want to spice it up a little.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I always hear conflicting information...are potatoes bad for losing weight? Will they have any real effect? And does it matter what type of potato? I know there are a million sweet potato fans on here...I really don't like them anymore so that's kind of out for me. But a bag of russets or even red potatoes is relatively cheap and I would think healthy. But I don't want to sabotage myself.

Thoughts?
    Potatoes are great, and very low caloric density (they are <1 calorie per gram, which means you can eat a TON of them and still not intake a large number of calories). The trick is not to smother them in high-fat dairy products (butter, sour cream, etc.). Frying ANYTHING makes it unhealthy.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think there was a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine last year that linked potatoes with weight gain.

This one? http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/23/health/la-he-diet-obesity-20110623
    Consuming an extra helping of potatoes each day — French fried, baked or otherwise — can add an average of 0.8 of a pound to body weight per year, researchers find. Over time, that can result in substantial weight gain.

So an extra serving of potatoes each day may make you gain almost, but not quite, one pound over the course of a year. Or about one ounce a month. Somehow... that doesn't really scare me. :laugh:
    That's an interesting article. Based upon the numbers they cite, here is what I think is driving the results:
    People in study are, on average, already right around their TDEE. Extra servings of food put them over (obviously they are over TDEE or they could not be gaining weight). Potatoes, being a carbohydrate, indicate to the body that it should store dietary fat if there is a caloric surplus, so the fried potatoes, which are high in fat, result in substantially higher weight gain.

I would have to look at the study design, but any time I see a 'BLAH makes you fat' study, I think of the Twinkie diet (nutrition professor at a calorically restricted diet of entirely junk food, lost a bunch of weight and improved on every metric of health assessment). If you do not carry a caloric surplus, you can eat literally whatever you want and you will not gain weight.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    as with ANY FOOD, they aren't bad for weight loss unless you eat too many of them. In other words, if they fit in your calorie bank for the day, eat 'em.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    There is a claim that potatoes are one of the most satiating foods to eat, which could explain how they may be good for a dieter.

Starting last week I've been putting this to the test, and eating plain baked potatoes in isolation at various times throughout the day to see if they would help curb my hunger. It seems to have little to no satiating effect on me.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I think that sounds great! I like to cut them up into round slices and throw in a ziplock baggie with olive oil and whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, then bake. Healthier french fries and super easy.
    That's a great idea! I might try that this week actually. Thank you!

Btw what temperature do you bake them on when you prepare them this way?

Potatoes are usually cooked at a fairly high temperature, about 400 would be good.

However, allow me to offer some hopefully-unnecessary advice - you don't bake them IN the zip-loc. That's just to make sure the olive oil thoroughly coats the taters and give them some marinade time. Dump them out of the zip-loc into a baking pan before cooking.

You can also skip the zip-loc, I just put potatoes in a baking pan, spray a little olive oil over them with one of those hand-pump sprayers like Pampered Chef sells, then shake the seasoning on and bake. My favorite seasonings are garlic and oregano, but there are some fantastic curries that work really well if you want to spice it up a little.

I would hope that common sense would come into play regarding the ziplock bag and baking. I use it because it gives an even coat of the oil and seasoning on both sides. Much easier.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Since potatoes contain a lot of carbs, they will make you feel full quickly but hungry really fast again. They spike your insulin level in your blood. That means you store fat instead of burning it, even if you work out. This spike in insulin level will make you feel hungry again faster. To avoid this and to keep burning fat through out the day it\s good to eat food with a low glycemic index.
    Thats why for example why choosing sweet potatoes over regular is a good thing to do.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My husband bikes 30 miles a day and he eats potatoes a lot because they have double the amount of potassium than bananas and help with his cramping. Baked potatoes arent bad for you as long as you only use a small amount of butter or light sour cream maybe. At least they are better than fries or tots!

Whats wrong with butter? :-(
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I was looking into the glycemic index thing regarding potatoes. I found it interesting and had not previously known that the method of cooking affects the glycemic index of a potato somewhat drastically. Boiled white potatoes had a GI of 56, versus a sweet potato's GI of 54. But baked white potatoes had a GI of 85. These numbers varied somewhat depending on which site I looked at. I've read that it isn't really important to worry about GI unless you have diabetes. I don't worry about it at this time. I generally eat one 150-200 gram yukon gold baked potato a day with salt, pepper, and plain greek yoghurt on it, which tastes to me like sour cream. Yum!
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I enjoy potatoes tremendously. I agree that I refuse to not eat my favorite foods. What I do is repare them in a healthier fashion.
    I have found that I really do enjoy red potatoes.Some spray butter, and seasoning - baked to perfection!

If you want some potatoes, eat them. Just remember portion control! :)
  • RUNNER48WH
    Options
    YESSSSS!!!! Old bay and baby red potatoes sliced or quartered with olive oil....to die for!!

agreed!!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Since potatoes contain a lot of carbs, they will make you feel full quickly but hungry really fast again. They spike your insulin level in your blood. That means you store fat instead of burning it, even if you work out. This spike in insulin level will make you feel hungry again faster. To avoid this and to keep burning fat through out the day it\s good to eat food with a low glycemic index.
    Thats why for example why choosing sweet potatoes over regular is a good thing to do.

Sometimes the taste of your favorite food trumps the full factor and can keep you on track long term. I've never had an issue feeling full with potatoes or being hungry quickly though.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Frying ANYTHING makes it unhealthy.
    At least 80% of the food I cook myself is pan-fried, be it fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables, rice, potatoes... What is it that makes all of this unhealthy, exactly? I have been losing weight with no issues, and I feel better than I have in years.
  • malins2
    Options
    I am not saying people should not eat potatoes, BUT for weight loss there are definitely better foods to eat. I too eat things I enjoy even if they are not the best choice, but the question was whether potatoes are good or bad for weight loss, and I would say they are bad.
  • malins2
    Options
    At least 80% of the food I cook myself is pan-fried, be it fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables, rice, potatoes... What is it that makes all of this unhealthy, exactly? I have been losing weight with no issues, and I feel better than I have in years.

I haven't looked at your food diary, but I'd say there is no need to be afraid of frying food and eating fat as long we control our carb intake.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I think you meant to say frying anything makes it taste better.

(and, once more, nothing eaten in moderation is unhealthy. make it fit and you've got no worries. I promise.)
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    People often get confused. Potatoes have a lot of carbs, therefore, if you would like to eat one, then eat it in moderation. What people don't understand is that everyone can be done in moderation, and as long as you're under your goal, then you will lose weight. MFP has your carb goal stats already there, and if you judge the potatoes you make based on the carbs, then eat as much as you're allowed or whatever room you have left for the day.
    My personal favorite for potatoes is little red ones chopped in half, mixed with asparagus in a baking pan, a little olive oil and italian seasoning. bake on 400 for around 20 minutes and you got yourself a delicious meal.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think there was a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine last year that linked potatoes with weight gain.

No, they found an association between people eating potatoes and weighing more. This, however, is flawed because a lot of people with a high intake of 'potatoes' are fat because they are eating french fries.

IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros), eat it. Always!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump