Do I Have To Excersize For more Than An Hour?

Options
im on a 1600 calories diet. i was wondering if 30 minutes of exercise a day is all i need to lose weight? i currently hit another plateau and the scale has not moved for 4 weeks.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    No. Weight loss is a result of diet not exercise. As for the plateau do you measure yourself as well as weight yourself? The scale is only one measure of success. If your measurements are going down even if the scale is not you are still losing fat. Beyond that we would have to know a lot more to help. In short more exercise likely will make no difference.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It depends on what exercise you are doing. Are you walking slowly for 30 minutes? If so, ramp it up a bit or walk longer. Not walking? Add a couple of 10-15 walks during your day. I feel your pain as I've also hit plateaus!
    Good luck to you!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i generally do vigorous work

jump roping, cycling, jogging etc
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump. need more opinions
  • tammyclair
    Options
    I once heard Dr. OZ say more than 5 hours a week is just showing off. :)
  • UntinyDancer
    Options
    NO, you don't!

Short 20-30 minute sessions. Heartrate (for me, 53 year old male) no more than 120.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try interval training. Go as fast as you can in whatever you're doing (jump rope, biking, etc.) for 30 seconds, go back to your normal pace for a minute or two. Repeat as many times as you can. You will see a quick improvement in burning calories, and your stamina will also improve. Keep up the good work!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    The USDA recommends staying within your daily calorie needs...and

Then says do 30 minutes of active of most day of the week for heart health

About 60 minutes a day may be needed to prevent weight gain

At least 60-90 mins a day may be required for weight loss