C25k newbie, can't finish day 1!

Options
Hi there, I'm hoping to get some encouragement. I started c25k last week. One day one, I managed 2.5 of the 8 runs. Day 2 I did 3, amd on day 3 I did 4, plus kept moving for the full 30 minutes. I rode my exercise bike at a moderate pace for 30 minutes Saturday and Sunday, and today I did 4 one minute runs and kept walking for the rest of the time.

I'm really quite discouraged as it isn't getting any easier. Am I expecting too much? I am absolutely desperate for the 60 seconds to end each time, and I am nowhere near recovered after 90 seconds, which is why I'm only doing 4 runs at the moment. I plan to stick with 4 runs until it's no longer hard before introducing run 5. I know this means it will take me ages to finish, but until today I thought that would be ok. But if anything today was harder than last week. Is that normal?

For information, I am female, 40 years old and weigh 202lb. I have lost 18lb in 8 weeks from weightwatchers, and until I started c25k last week had done no exercise for over 10 years. My lifestyle is normally very sedentary.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Replies

• MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have you tried decreasing your speed?
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Yes, I make an effort to slow down. My friend can walk beside me while I jog!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are expecting too much after only one week. If you consistently stick with the program it will get easier in a few weeks.
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    But you're making progress every day :) that counts!
    C25K says to repeat weeks if you aren't able to progress to the next ones, and so although you might be finding it hard at the moment, you've already demonstrated you're improving and getting better. I would encourage you to stick with it - after all, 30 minutes of exercise is better than sitting down throughout that 30 minutes, whether you're able to complete all the runs or not.
    Good luck!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Keep trying but you might need to start out slower. I broke my knee in 2006 and it cannot take the running at all. I switched to walking longer distances. It takes longer but I would rather walk the extra miles rather than blow out my knee.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a day off between training days?
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It will get easier so don't despair. Running is hard if you've never done it. Then one day you will find that you can easily do what seemed impossible before. Just don't give up. I did a 10k running plan and often did some of the weeks twice.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    What was your activity level before you started this, depending what it was you are probably expecting to much from yourself. Each workout you will get better, but you will still have soem tough days. I've found that week two of any program can actually be harder than week one. During week one, your body is fresh from not working out, by week two your body is still trying to get over the shock of working out, and by week three your body is starting to get use to it. So keep doing what you are doing, you don't want to overdue it in the beginning, your doing great.