What I "want" and what I "need"

Options
So over the last year or so, I have learned how to change my lifestyle. One thing that really helped me along the way was sitting myself down and examining my habits for what they were. And what I found opened my eyes and made me realize a few things. Here they are, maybe some of you guys reading this will be inspired by it, others may relate to it, but I hope it helps someone out there.

I sat down one day and looked at what I "wanted" vs what I "needed" and I had a bit of a revalation.

want: snacks, sweets, and treats.
need: healthy snacks, and nutritious food
Consequence and outcome: I changed from eating a candy bar or two a day and lots of chips and other processed carbs to whole grain snacks, veggies, cheese, and yogurts. Doing this has not only helped me to lower my calorie intake, but has decreased my cholesterol levels significantly.

Want: watch 3 hours of TV a night when I get home from work.
need: exercise, activity, and something to focus on.
Consequence and outcome: I cut my TV time from 3 hours a night or so to between 1 and 2 hours a night. This has given me more time with my dogs (which leads to more activity), and some more time on MFP, which helps me get my mind straight and sometimes let's me help others.

Want: Eat out 2 or 3 nights a week and have 3 to 5 beers when I do.
need: make more meals at home where I can control the ingrediance and STOP ALL THE DRINKING
consequenses and outcome: By cutting way back on the alcohol I have increased the healthy calories in my system and stopped using alcohol to replace calories. By eating out less I know more accurately what I put into my body, I can make plans and goals and know that I can reach them.

want: have a kick *kitten* body but still lay around all day doing nothing.
need: have a kick *kitten* body by working out hard and having a set schedule of training.
consequenses and outcome: By finding a time every day to work out, and setting up a routine of 3 days of light cardio mixed with weight training, and 3 days of hard core cardio, I am now much closer to my goal of a great body, and now I no longer desier to lay around all day doing nothing because I have the energy to do the things I love (sports, going out with the dogs, or the wife...etc.)

want: eat what I want with no consequences.
need: learn about food, what it does for your body, what is the good and the bad.
consequenses and outcome: After starting with my training and basically relying on my wife for the food, I realized that this will never work in the long run if I didn't do some serious research on food and my metabolism. I have since started researching all things food related and metabolism related, and now feel I can carry on a conversation with almost anyone about healthy eating and what a food will do when it enters your body. It is very empowering and enlightening to know that if I eat that twinkie, what it will do when it hits my stomach (the answer, in essence, is add body fat by the way.)

Some of these may seem self evident to some, but it is what I did in order to become a healthier person. I don't pretend to think this stuff is easy or quick, but it IS necessary, in my opinion, to change your lifestyle, and that is what we all want right? To become healthier and proud of our bodies and minds?

regards,

-Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So over the last year or so, I have learned how to change my lifestyle. One thing that really helped me along the way was sitting myself down and examining my habits for what they were. And what I found opened my eyes and made me realize a few things. Here they are, maybe some of you guys reading this will be inspired by it, others may relate to it, but I hope it helps someone out there.

I sat down one day and looked at what I "wanted" vs what I "needed" and I had a bit of a revalation.

want: snacks, sweets, and treats.
    need: healthy snacks, and nutritious food
    Consequence and outcome: I changed from eating a candy bar or two a day and lots of chips and other processed carbs to whole grain snacks, veggies, cheese, and yogurts. Doing this has not only helped me to lower my calorie intake, but has decreased my cholesterol levels significantly.

Want: watch 3 hours of TV a night when I get home from work.
    need: exercise, activity, and something to focus on.
    Consequence and outcome: I cut my TV time from 3 hours a night or so to between 1 and 2 hours a night. This has given me more time with my dogs (which leads to more activity), and some more time on MFP, which helps me get my mind straight and sometimes let's me help others.

Want: Eat out 2 or 3 nights a week and have 3 to 5 beers when I do.
    need: make more meals at home where I can control the ingrediance and STOP ALL THE DRINKING
    consequenses and outcome: By cutting way back on the alcohol I have increased the healthy calories in my system and stopped using alcohol to replace calories. By eating out less I know more accurately what I put into my body, I can make plans and goals and know that I can reach them.

want: have a kick *kitten* body but still lay around all day doing nothing.
    need: have a kick *kitten* body by working out hard and having a set schedule of training.
    consequenses and outcome: By finding a time every day to work out, and setting up a routine of 3 days of light cardio mixed with weight training, and 3 days of hard core cardio, I am now much closer to my goal of a great body, and now I no longer desier to lay around all day doing nothing because I have the energy to do the things I love (sports, going out with the dogs, or the wife...etc.)

want: eat what I want with no consequences.
    need: learn about food, what it does for your body, what is the good and the bad.
    consequenses and outcome: After starting with my training and basically relying on my wife for the food, I realized that this will never work in the long run if I didn't do some serious research on food and my metabolism. I have since started researching all things food related and metabolism related, and now feel I can carry on a conversation with almost anyone about healthy eating and what a food will do when it enters your body. It is very empowering and enlightening to know that if I eat that twinkie, what it will do when it hits my stomach (the answer, in essence, is add body fat by the way.)

Some of these may seem self evident to some, but it is what I did in order to become a healthier person. I don't pretend to think this stuff is easy or quick, but it IS necessary, in my opinion, to change your lifestyle, and that is what we all want right? To become healthier and proud of our bodies and minds?

regards,

-Banks
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all you do for all of us here at MFP!!!! :flowerforyou: And congratulations on your success!!! :drinker:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    With your sensible approach to things Banks...you might even try the 90/10 style of food consumption.

That is, with your exercise regime in place, you eat "clean" 90 per cent of the time allowing yourself to eat what you want(keeping in mind it needs to be healthy food not junk) the other ten per cent of the time ~ its a great way to allow yourself (no guilt) that occasional 2 slices of pizza with a side salad and a light beer.

Self Deprivation over a long period of time justifies a binge now and then...so why deprive yourself?

If you like to read...there are a series of short articles that I feel are worthwhile on the Trainer's site, that I have just enlisted with, that you might find interesting...It's under education and the site is xelf.ca
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    You are great, Banks...keep it up!:drinker:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    i
    consequenses and outcome: After starting with my training and basically relying on my wife for the food,
    -Banks

Are you related to my husband?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm also convinced that one's knowledge of Unix is an inverse relationship to knowledge in the kitchen.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice and motivation!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm also convinced that one's knowledge of Unix is an inverse relationship to knowledge in the kitchen.

No no, not true. I am the cook of my house. I also can run an HPUX box inside and out. :wink: