I work in a restaurant - how should I log it?

Options
How do you guys log going to work? I have my activity level set to sedentary and I add in even small walks, so I'd like to add the walking/standing/cleaning I do while I'm at work. Do you have any suggestions? What do you do?

Replies

• alexandrahrah
    Options
    I used to work at mcdonalds when I was much younger, and they actually have it in their training manual that you burn about 150 calories an hour working there. So when I started using MFP, I was working at a movie theatre and still moving around a lot but not as much as at Mcds, and created my own exercise burning about 50/hour at the theatre (underestimating). I don't work everyday, so I didn't want to set my level to moderately active because I'm not standing 8 hours a day - but some days I am, and I'd rather just log it when it does happen. :)

hope that helps - gage your movement at work as compared to a mcdonalds employee?
  • zaqqity
    zaqqity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is a huge help. :happy:
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I set myself as lightly active even though waiting tables is suggested by mfp to be "active." That way, I feel slow days where I'm moving around or standing but not hustling are taken into account. Then when I have a crazy night, I log part of it as walking (moderate pace..you should see the size of the restaurant where I work...it's freaking huge!) and another part as cleaning, light to moderate effort. I figure this gives me a decent approximation, but I still log lower amounts of time for each in case I'm off a bit. So far it's working. Just play with it until you feel comfortable with how you log it, and fight the urge to be perfect. Good luck!