New to the Boards and ALWAYS hungry

Options
I have been logging my info on MFP on/off for the last few months, with these last few weeks taking it seriously.
MFP tells me to net 1200 calories a day to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. (Does that seem too few?) I am eating tons of veggies and lean meats but am always hungry.
Where can I look for nutrient dense foods that will keep me full!

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    i always eat oatmeal & egg whites for breakfast. I try to eat protein at every meal. after my workout i have 1 scoop of whey protein powder 130 calories 30 grams of protein. The higher protein diet keeps me full and I eat smaller mmeals ,i am never get super hungry, hope this helps:):bigsmile:
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Hi there!
    maybe start off at 1400 calories...the extra makes a big difference and you will still lose. also, I manage to take the edge off with veggies that are flavorful.....My fav is simmered cauliflower in low fat chicken or veg broth. I also roast my vegetables in the oven...makes them much more tasty.

19111718.png
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1300 myself and I've been eating a lot of 0% greek yogurt with my own added fruit, which has tons of protein and since it's so dense, it really keeps me sated for hours.
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Are you eating them all in one sitting or are you spreading them out through out the day? The big key for me is Water. I drink tons of it! It keeps the hunger urges away and keeps my system clean.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    I have been logging my info on MFP on/off for the last few months, with these last few weeks taking it seriously.
    MFP tells me to net 1200 calories a day to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. (Does that seem too few?) I am eating tons of veggies and lean meats but am always hungry.
    Where can I look for nutrient dense foods that will keep me full!

I have struggled with this too! I've been eating under calories (not really on purpose) so I'm bumping up intake and I've actually bought some protein shakes to fill it. I feel better eating a big more. A boiled egg helped me too.
  • susiek80
    susiek80 Posts: 19
    Options
    Oh, if only I like Greek yogurt. I try and try but... no luck.
  • susiek80
    Options
    Are you eating them all in one sitting or are you spreading them out through out the day? The big key for me is Water. I drink tons of it! It keeps the hunger urges away and keeps my system clean.
    I try to spread them out through the day, but then I feel like I just sit at my desk grazing all day... at least it's fruit and veg. And I drink 2-3 full Nalgene bottles a day.
  • susiek80
    Options
    Hi there!
    maybe start off at 1400 calories...the extra makes a big difference and you will still lose. also, I manage to take the edge off with veggies that are flavorful.....My fav is simmered cauliflower in low fat chicken or veg broth. I also roast my vegetables in the oven...makes them much more tasty.

But I am afraid of over-eating... and gaining weight.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Try adding beans to your diet - chickpeas, black beans, white beans. They have a lot of fiber and protein to keep you full and are low in fat.

If you're still hungry, try changing your loss goal to 1 lb a week rather than 1 1/2. This will give you more cals to eat and may be easier.

Good luck!
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For me spreading my calories out works the best, so I try and eat 5 small meals a day rather than 3. Have you tried green monster shakes? There pretty good and sometimes I get so full I can't even finish the whole thing. It's just spinach, a banana, a little bit of peanut butter and some milk and/or yogurt.
  • susiek80
    Options
    Try adding beans to your diet - chickpeas, black beans, white beans. They have a lot of fiber and protein to keep you full and are low in fat.

If you're still hungry, try changing your loss goal to 1 lb a week rather than 1 1/2. This will give you more cals to eat and may be easier.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I just get so frustrated because I am doing all the right things...
  • susiek80
    Options
    For me spreading my calories out works the best, so I try and eat 5 small meals a day rather than 3. Have you tried green monster shakes? There pretty good and sometimes I get so full I can't even finish the whole thing. It's just spinach, a banana, a little bit of peanut butter and some milk and/or yogurt.
    That doesn't sound bad, but I heard that banana's were not a friend to those trying to lose weight...
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    From my personal opinion I think you should be upping your cals! Find out your BMR & TDEE and make sure you're netting at or above your BMR x
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just get so frustrated because I am doing all the right things...

A few tips, some may be review of what others have already said.

1. Start tracking your calories by type (Carbs and Sugars, Fats, and Proteins). Make sure you are eating as close as possible to the BALANCE of these three sources, in addition to the quantity of calories. If you eat your calories, but don't eat enough of one of the Calorie Trinity, you will be hungry a lot.

(a note on sugars - if most of your sugars come from fresh fruit, you'll go over no matter what you do. Watch the refined sugars, white bread, and other processed foods).

2. I found that a strongly-flavored gum really helped me get over the "hunger bump" (that first week or two when I dropped my calories until my body adjusted to it). Resist the urge to "binge" or eat a lot in a specific day, because it just extends that adjustment period - BE CONSISTENT.

3. If you've been at this for a few weeks and you're still hungry, back off on your target. Target a little lower weight loss each week and eat a few more calories. This is a long-term effort, not something you should do a quick slapdash job of. Don't make it miserable.

4. If you are also tired as well as hungry, and you haven't lost any weight, set the site for a target of losing nothing for a while (weight maintenance). You might find that the site has underestimated your caloric needs at the moment.

5. Up your exercise (and eat your exercise calories!). I find that a good workout makes me less "snacky" and more "hungry for solid healthy foods".
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound bad, but I heard that banana's were not a friend to those trying to lose weight...

I've found the opposite, but I only eat them after a good workout to quickly replenish my potassium and give me a nice little sugar boost to make the post-workout high even better. For a sedentary eater, I agree - they aren't an optimal snack.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I really don't think anyone has gotten fat from eating bananas!! :)
  • susiek80
    Options

I really don't think anyone has gotten fat from eating bananas!! :)

LOL!!! I have a friend who is a doctor and told me to go easy on the banana's because they are so high in carbs/sugar.
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I'm in a similar boat - relatively new and feel hungry much of the time but I'm sure you'll get some good support and friendships here to help you. Feel free to add me if you wish (open to all).
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I net my BMR + 200 so usually 1709 give or take and I don't stress if I miss it by a hundred or so in either direction.

And... I am NEVER hungry!
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    How much fiber do you take in per day? Women should aim for 25 g per day while men should aim for 35. Making sure that I'm getting in that amount of fiber has helped me tremendously over the past month since I upped it. Make sure that if you do start taking in that much fiber, you drink plenty of water too!! :laugh: