Make up 1300 Extra Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• union410
    union410 Posts: 32
    Options
    So I'm going to try to calcualate my body fat% today. But let me see if I have this straight.

My BMR = 2,184
    TDEE = 3,194 when exercising 3-5 times a week.

So according what I've read thus far I should ALWAYS eat at least 2,184 but below 3,194 to lose weight? I read that I should do 20% below my TDEE, so that would put me around 2500. So as long as I exercise 3-5x a week, always eat at least 2500 cals?

I know that to get it more accurate I'll need my bodyfat percentage, but is this a good rule so far?
    Yep, you got it! I'm not sure what their 3-5 times a week exercises consist of though (if it's a hour of intense workout or what).

This is crazy. My wife and I have been eating way too less. Thanks!

If you have a normal weekly routine, you can indeed estimate that TDEE better based on something other than 5 levels you hope is right. Because as comment above says, what are they assuming for length of workouts, and intensity at that matter.

Here is more exact way, but it requires homework, but it also comes with cheating spreadsheet to make it easier.
    Again, no eating back exercise calories because it's included. Protecting the BMR. Feeding the workouts, why else do them except for body improvement, and maximize the deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

So it's looking like I'll need to know my body fat %. I just ordered some calipers and measuring tape from Amazon today. Any advice on what I should do before then?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can use the military body fat calculator here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

You will need a tape measure - I do not have one either so I use a shoelace to measure myself, and then measure that against a construction type tape measure - a bit convoluted, but it works for me - so if you have on of those type of tape measures you can always do it that way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you have a normal weekly routine, you can indeed estimate that TDEE better based on something other than 5 levels you hope is right. Because as comment above says, what are they assuming for length of workouts, and intensity at that matter.

Here is more exact way, but it requires homework, but it also comes with cheating spreadsheet to make it easier.
    Again, no eating back exercise calories because it's included. Protecting the BMR. Feeding the workouts, why else do them except for body improvement, and maximize the deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

So it's looking like I'll need to know my body fat %. I just ordered some calipers and measuring tape from Amazon today. Any advice on what I should do before then?

As Sarauk mentions, using shoe lace or bit of non-stretchy cloth will let you use tape measure too.
    I like the site in the spreadsheet better, because it'll compare that Navy calc referenced to Covert Bailey and let you see avg of them.

Actually, all methods have some inaccuracy, but since this purpose is for use in another equation, anything within 5% is just fine.
    Tape measure is less user error prone than calipers actually. And unless you have wrong body type that fools formulas, works just great. Meaning thin but fat fools it, and big but muscular fools it. Retaining water in muscles morning after lifting no good either.
    Neither is calipers morning after long dehydrating cardio workout night before.

Besides some measurements, confirm the spreadsheet activity levels, and see where the current estimate lays.
  • union410
    Options
    How about some advice on the activity level. I walk 5 days/week for 45 minutes at a 4mph pace and hop on the eliptical for 30 minutes a day 6 days/week. Would you consider this to be Very Active?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How about some advice on the activity level. I walk 5 days/week for 45 minutes at a 4mph pace and hop on the eliptical for 30 minutes a day 6 days/week. Would you consider this to be Very Active?

How 'hard' do you go on the elliptical?
  • union410
    Options

How 'hard' do you go on the elliptical?

Pretty hard. It tells me I burn 550 calories ever 30 minutes. I'm wondering for my wife too. She does all that I do, plus two days of Zumba where she burns over 800 calories. She easily burns over 5,000 calories a week. What do you think?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

In the spreadsheet, Heavy would be 0.5 hrs x 6 days, Mod would be 0.75 x 5 if 4mph on flat ground, if hills then Heavy.

Zumba is Heavy.

Very Active if you are going for the method selecting from 5 activity levels.