anyone on a "weight inducing" medication?

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
And I don't mean a med that may allow you to gain a couple pounds. I mean real weight.

In reading the toxicology info on my medication (olanzapine - it's a mood alterer), the highest rated side effect is Weight Gain. But digging deeper I read (on rxlist.com and drugs.com and a mariad of some other medical sources):

~ Increases the risk for drug induced obesity
~ 11% of users in the study group gained a substantion amount of weight ( ~50+lbs) in the first few months
~ there is a large number of users to gain something like 55+% of their body weight within a few months (I'm totally paraphrasing that one, I would have to go look back at the actual numbers)
~ For some of the users, the weight is RAPID - like so much %age in their first two weeks (again, I'd have to go back and read the details)

Apparently it screws with the fat metabolism (taking energy from fat reserves first, instead of available carbs) allowing the available carbs to metabolize in more fat than it is using. Something like that, I'm still paraphrasing but getting the gist of the issue down.

I gained 35 lbs since I started the drug. Yes. But I'm not blaming the drug, i ate foolishly and decreased my working out. But I will say that drug is a catalist. I've talked to my doctor about switching the drug, but to no avail, at least for now.

So what do you suggest I do? The drug works, but the side effects (pun intened) suck. I asked what do to about the issue with the imbalance of fat metabolism specified in the literature, but was pretty much told I need to control the weight gain. But how??? Should I pony up and go to a nutritionist or get a second opinion from my doc?

Replies

• satikat
    Options
    2nd opinion. you know you need to control the weight gain, but not offering any suggestions is pointless.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I take medications that induce weight gain. If I meticulously watch my diet and exercise so that I am not eating more than I am burning I do not gain weight. Its very hard, but doable.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The main side effect of that medicine and all others like it is weight gain. Also sleepiness. Bad combination for someone who is trying to lose weight. Who is prescribing it for you and why? If it is your family doc, you might want to consult with a psychiatrist, but unfortunately, all the medicines in that class cause substantial weight gain. Obviously, you have to weigh (no pun intended) the benefits versus the weight gain.
  • _snw_
    Options
    The main side effect of that medicine and all others like it is weight gain. Also sleepiness. Bad combination for someone who is trying to lose weight. Who is prescribing it for you and why? If it is your family doc, you might want to consult with a psychiatrist, but unfortunately, all the medicines in that class cause substantial weight gain. Obviously, you have to weigh (no pun intended) the benefits versus the weight gain.

Yeah, it's like a bad joke. It is a psyche PA who is prescribing it. I'm thinking of seeing the main psychiatrist about some sort of an rx change.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm a PA as well, though in family practice. Every patient who has ever been on that medicine or Seroquel has gained a substantial amount of weight, regardless of what they did to try to "control" it. That is the main reason I hesitate to write it, though sometimes the patient definitely needs it, regardless of the weight gain.
  • _snw_
    Options
    It's the first drug I've ever been on and it worked like a charm, so she hesitates to change it. She said she doesnt want to mess with a good thing. But me having no control (well, some control) over this weight gain seems to me that it IS messing with a good thing.

Without going into personal details, which is such a no-no, the 'story' goes I went through ivf for a 3rd and the hormones flipped out my brain causing ppd. well, not just post. during/after/and much later after. She put me on that drug mixed w/ another very popular antidepressent (it ends with a zac and startsw with the opposite of anti) and a couple weeks later, i was my old self again. almosts like nothing ever happened. So I question which of the 2 meds (olanzapine and the other) is really what's helping. Or is it really both? I wish I went to medical school.

Of course I'll discuss this all with her, but her dismissiveness of it during our last appointment makes me want to go in there with more knowledge.
  • lorikneff
    Options
    I take a lot of meds for FM, CFS, CPS, and Chronic Migraines. A really pain in the *** if you know what i mean. I take Lyrica, Nuvigil, Depakote, Yasmin (for BC of course), Cymbalta, and Celebrex. I think that's all...lol, most of them are weight-gaining meds. Which sucks. I've gained a lot of weight since starting them. I hate it. I can't live without the meds, but I can't stand what they do to me.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm on quetiapine at the moment (you probably know, similar to olanzapine) and so is a weight-inducing drug. I think I've spent many years on all different types of weight inducing medication and it is incredibly frustrating.

I think if the medication is working for you though, then it probably is best not to mess with it.

Could your psych refer you to a dietician so you could have some additional support with your diet? I know a lot of dieticians will be aware of how meds can make you feel and be able to help you learn about foods that will help with that.

For me I try to look at foods that will sustain me for a while, so like I have porridge for breakfast & eat wholeweat foods. Though they tend to have extra calories, they fill you up more so it works out okay. I know a lot of people on here eat totally healthily but I think it's okay to eat a treat if you have the calories spare etc. x