new and discouraged

Options
I have been working out and I can't lose weight. Help :(

Replies

• ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, keep trying it takes time!! If you like you can add me as a friend!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    what have you been doing? and how is your diet?
    feel free to add me if you like.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to start, and that is what you have done. I tried to just exercise, did that for 5 months and I got really strong calves but hadn't lost a pound. I didn't start with watching what I ate until this week and the combination of that and exercise seems to do the trick.
  • BL3FTY
    BL3FTY Posts: 2
    Options
    We have all been at our limit at one time or another. My son encouraged me to join, with every pound you lose you are that much closer to your goal. My goal is to lose 60 lbs in a year. Once you lose at least 10% of your weight. Your energy level will double. :smile:
  • BrittyBritt96
    Options
    what is the best type of exercises to do? I've tried just about everything but nothing works. Running always seems to be a challenge for me and I just give up everytime.
  • Jules141C
    Options
    Don't give up! Hang in there....sometimes it takes awhile to see the results. If you don't like to run, find another cardio exercise you do like. Elliptical machine, swimming, bicycling, dancing, spinning, there's all kinds of things you can do that will raise your heart rate. Resistance training builds muscle, which might make you gain just a little at first, because muscle weighs more than fat, but it also raises your metabolism so you will start to burn more fat overall. If you don't belong to or have access to a gym with classes, do you ever try workout DVDs? Collage Video is a great website to find workout DVDs. They have a ton of DVDs, at all different fitness levels, and you can watch clips before you decide to buy. Good luck and hang in there, it will come!
  • BL3FTY
    BL3FTY Posts: 2
    Options
    Walking is always good. I joined a gym 2 years ago and had a physical trainer that pushed me too hard. I hurt my knees I have gained 30 extra pounds because of over doing it. slow and stead is a good spot.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No discouragement allowed here...only encouragement. It is not going to happen overnight and there is no magical formula. You will need to balance calories in with calories out. That does not in any way mean you have to starve yourself. This site is great for helping you to track both exercise and calories consumed and balancing what you eat against what you burn. It will require hard work, motivation and dedication, but YOU CAN DO IT. Take a look at the success stories on the message boards; they always encourage me. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We are all here to help one another out.
  • katscoots
    Options
    The best type of exercise is the one you enjoy doing and will stick with. Start with walking if running sucks. I could only walk and do a light workout on the elliptical when I started, but you progress and get better with each and every workout.
  • katscoots
    Options
    what is the best type of exercises to do? I've tried just about everything but nothing works. Running always seems to be a challenge for me and I just give up everytime.

The best type of exercise is the one you enjoy doing and will stick with. Start with walking if running sucks. I could only walk and do a light workout on the elliptical when I started, but you progress and get better with each and every workout.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and I can't lose weight. Help :(

I can't?!? No, hon, you CAN!! Unless you have a medical problem preventing you from losing, you are capable of changing your body. Everyone gets discouraged, but you have to change your attitude--change your mind to change your body. I am not saying this from a self-righteous viewpoint, but from my own personal experience. I struggle with negative, self-defeating thoughts myself, and that's one of the biggest things I've been working on. Everything about this cries out to me that you're having trouble with negativity--the title, the content, your profile pic, and the content of your profile... You have to BELIEVE you can change, then live your life according to that belief. I really, truly wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Exercising alone isn't always enough. Make sure you are eating appropriately. Log what you eat! I know it seems like a pain in the @$$ but it's really beneficial. I'd also invest in a food scale because I found that when I was guessing what 4oz was, I was way off compared to what it actually is. There are going to be days/weeks where you don't notice any progress but don't get discouraged, it'll happen.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • tlynkay178
    tlynkay178 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, losing weight is a process...you didn't gain the weight overnight and losing it will be difficult; but with determination you can do it!! Signing up to MFP is the first step, next is changing your eating and exercising habits!! You can add me for support we need all of the positive support we can get.:glasses: