exerciise?

Options
Is it ok to eat healthy at first to lose weight...and then once you've lost some weight start exercising? Im scared that if i dont exercise right away im gonna lose too much of the areas that i want to keep...

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The saying goes, "80% of weight loss is diet, 20% is exercise." They make a great 1-2 punch if you're able to do both. However controlling your diet alone should begin to have an effect.
  • tamshawn
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. And responds differently to weight loss. That also changes as you age. It is safe to lose weight (reasonably) without exercise. But that said...with exercise:
    1) Weight loss is faster.
    2) You can do specific exercises to keep from losing muscle mass.
    3) You will feel better about yourself (brain chemistry does has an effect).

Trust me...I know...I hate exercise too...but even if you did not have a single pound to lose...you would still need to exercise to keep healthy (or healthy-er):smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. And responds differently to weight loss. That also changes as you age. It is safe to lose weight (reasonably) without exercise. But that said...with exercise:
    1) Weight loss is faster.
    2) You can do specific exercises to keep from losing muscle mass.
    3) You will feel better about yourself (brain chemistry does has an effect).

Trust me...I know...I hate exercise too...but even if you did not have a single pound to lose...you would still need to exercise to keep healthy (or healthy-er):smile:

I totally agree with all this advice. Plus, I'd like to add that I exercise to "up" my numbers, so that I can have, say, Edy's slow churned, no sugar added icecream as a treat almost every night! :laugh: :love:
    My exercising though isn't killing myself. I walk, jog with my Wii Fit, or dance to my favorite fast oldies CD! :smile: :happy:
  • lilelephant
    Options
    lol darn....thought that might be the case...
    wish you could lose weight by eating!!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • biffdaddy
    Options
    It is always important to start with a good diet but you really have to exercise to loose the fat already on the frame. Even if it is just walking...it is a start.
  • lilelephant
    Options
    im worried im never going to het used to exercising! i always see those commercials where the people are trying to sell exercise videos or exercise equipment and it looks like such a breeze for them!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    just start and you will eventually come to like it

it will make you feel much better about your body and your mood will be lifted :flowerforyou:

if you have to set a timer for however long you'd like (15 min?) and commit to just that everyday

i promise you will increase your time and enthusiam:drinker:

good luck:happy:
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 lbs by just eating healthier and a walk here and there. I sort of wish that I had started exercising from the beginning but I'm not sure if I would have stayed motivated to lose weight. I say do what feels good and what is fun. I walk my dog 2-3 times a week and I lift weights 2-3 times a week; my dog is my exercising partner. Last night he ran upstairs to my brother's room (where the weights are) and I had to tell him, "No, it's not the night we lift weights!" :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    regardless of watching what you eat to lose or by working out or doing both you can't change where you lose fat- There isn't such a thing as spot training your body pulls from where ever it wants.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    I always start with my diet, what and how much I eat, then when I have that going good, I add in exercise. I start really small, walk around the block 3x a week, then walk around the block everyday, then walk around the block twice and just keep adding more gradually until I feel like riding my bike, the first time I rode my bike after a long hiatus I could only do 3mi, then I added just 1min each time I rode or rode just a little faster.

hth,
    Demetria
  • lilelephant
    Options
    awww thats so cute!
  • lilelephant
    Options
    this is all very helpful info!!! thanx guys!:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: