Vitamin Help!!!

Options
I'm new to the message boards but figured this would be a good place to start - you know, ask the experts and those that use the product! I am looking for a multi-vitamin in either pill, liquid, or powder form. The more % of DRV for each vitamin listed the better. I have went to GNC's website and they have the Ultra Mega line for women which I used years ago and liked it (but let's be real . . .they are like a horse pill). Has anybody used them recently or tried the Ultra Mega Vanilla powder? I do know that no matter which brand of vitamin I select, I will have to take a calcium supplement as well but that's ok. Or if anybody knows a line that would get me to 100% of my daily vitamins, I’m all ears!!!

Replies

• nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I buy store brand vitamins (currently CVS brand). I think (someone please chime in if I'm wrong) that multivitamins are regulated by the FDA, and therefore all brands must have the same caliber of vitamins, just different fillers. In any case, just compare a cheaper brand side by side to a more expensive brand and see that they have the same things.

I've never bought anything from there, and I don't really buy supplements at all anyway, but I've heard from multiple people on this forum that GNC is just full of overpriced crap, so you might want to look into other retailers for your supplements.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just started using USANA products and I love their antioxidant multi...it's a horse pill, but I will never go back to GNC after trying this brand. Check them out online.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not to sound cheap or negative but you should be getting most of what you need in the food you eat. Alot of my friends spend money on multi-vitamins and powders when if they just ate better they would get everything they needed. I use a gummy multi-vitamin, $10 for 150, and then I eat right. Calcium supplements are different and sometimes needed so that makes sense.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I get optimum nutrition Opti-men, you take 3 a day.

I believe vitamins should be UL certified to be deemed good. (consumer labs i think)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Typically, a simple One-A-Day is sufficient for most people who eat healthy, and a wide variety of foods. A lot of those vitamin and supplement shops try to push way more on you than you really need. Definitely check with a doctor if you want to take more than a simple multivitamin.

I personally take a twice daily multi, by designs for health. It's easier on the stomach than a large horse-pill all at once! My doctor has me on these, and several other supplements specific to the deficiencies I have.
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I try to get my nutrients from the food I eat but I fail daily!!! That's why I was thinking supplement for what I'm missing . .. plus a few extra units for days when I don't even come close to meeting the quota for the day.

My doctor did suggested that I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement . . . .last August! I have finally convinced myself to get up and exercise every morning, eat right, and take charge of my health! Just trying to figure out which option to go with!!

Thanks everybody for the thoughts and input! I knew I came to the right place!!!
  • Reknim
    Reknim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the gummy vitamins, then again, I'm just a kid at heart with a sweet tooth... :happy:
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the message boards but figured this would be a good place to start - you know, ask the experts and those that use the product! I am looking for a multi-vitamin in either pill, liquid, or powder form. The more % of DRV for each vitamin listed the better. I have went to GNC's website and they have the Ultra Mega line for women which I used years ago and liked it (but let's be real . . .they are like a horse pill). Has anybody used them recently or tried the Ultra Mega Vanilla powder? I do know that no matter which brand of vitamin I select, I will have to take a calcium supplement as well but that's ok. Or if anybody knows a line that would get me to 100% of my daily vitamins, I’m all ears!!!

I think the appropriate expert would be the doctor who diagnosed your deficiency.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I get optimum nutrition Opti-men, you take 3 a day.

I believe vitamins should be UL certified to be deemed good. (consumer labs i think)
    UL is just Underwriters Laboratories. They are simply certifying the quality system of the manufacturer. They also verify the vitamins are what they claim. But to me solubility is what makes a huge difference.
    I also love gummies :)
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love my vita craves. I can't have iron so I have to go for iron free and I have weird deficiencies I find that vita crave, plus a b complex keeps me in check.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The key to any supplement is how much your body can absorb at any given moment. The best thing you can do for a Multivitamin is ask your doctor. You only need to take 1/day unless prescribed otherwise. Do not over-pay for some highly loaded brand in which the majority of the pill is wasted.
  • hojo26
    hojo26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of the Best Multi-Vitamins i have taken are the "Alive! Whole Food Energizer Multi-Vitamin Max Potency"
    long name i know but they are amazing in the amount of nutrients they give you.
    Here take a look at all that they have:
    http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Vitamins/14925-Alive-Multi-Vitamin.aspx

the only thing negative about them is the fact that u take 3 horse pills per day, but i just swallow them right after one of my meals and I'm done.

Also what BigDaddyBRC said is true. some of the higher priced brands just go to waist. If you as a septic cleaner they can tell you that some times the can find whole vitamin pills in there, even some still have the brand logo on them... So a good way to see if a brand is good is to take the recommended amount and put it in a glass of water and see is it dissolves right.

Hope this helps, because i have dome much research in this department.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Definitely take you calcium pill with vitamin D is will help the body absorb the calcium. Also make sure you only take 500-600mg of calcium at a time because that is all the body will absorb at one time
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    They aren't FDA regulated.
    Dietary Supplements aren't.

I think about it the way I look at "name brand" clothes.
    I would rather pay for quality from a reputable company.

You can look on the bottles to see if they meet USP regulations. (Usually volume and disintegration... IIRC)

As far as the powder OP mentioned, it's okay, and has a tad bit of protein.
    Usually in a liquid you will absorb it better.

I prefer the new Ultra Mega Green from GNC (and they're coming out with an Active one for Women)
    Much easier to stomach + digestive enzymes.

Also read, regarding food:
    You have to eat twice the food to get 1/2 the nutrients that you would have gotten 50 years ago from your food.