hey ladies i NEED your help!

Options
i guess all the fiber i eat tends to get clogged up...you know what i mean? is it bad to take laxatives once in a while to help out? i am not doing it to "get rid of food" but just to get things moving. does anyone else do this or have any suggestions of what to use?

p.s. ia m drinking enough water and working out, but i always tend to feel a little "full" in the morning...]

thanks! keep up the good work ladies!

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I have a similar problem, always have! :ohwell:

I eat prunes in the evening, works for me...seems more natural!
  • PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hear WARMING prune juice makes it work better -- that how they give it to seniors at old folks' homes.
  • Yvette135
    Options
    Have you tried miralax? It helps regulate your system and you can mix it with juice. It is not habit forming, it does take a couple of days to work though. It's available at drugstores. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I would go for something like Senna Root Tea on ocassion rather than laxitives because you will get the laxitive effect without all the fillers. And do it sparingly so that your body does not become dependant on a laxitive in order to have a BM. In between cleansings just make sure your fiber is coming from whole, unproccessed foods, drink lots of water and check youtube for a video on abdominal massage.

Basically you gently massage your abdomin along the areas where your colon are. Begin at the end of the colon, in smal clockwise circles, and make your way around to the beginning. Sometimes you may need to stop and have a BM while you are doing this because you relased a blockage. The reason you go from the end to the beginning is that if there is a blockage, you release it first without putting pressure on it from the areas that aren't blocked. I don't know if that makes any sense,:ohwell: thats why I think you should look on youtube for a video.

Holly:flowerforyou:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and we give a ton of miralax, and its the most effective lax I've seen. It doesn't cause cramping or bloating. We also had this problem with my son as a baby and the dr. recom. it and it was effective. If you mix it with juice or coffee you can't taste it and let it sit for about 45 sec till it compleatly disolves. Good Luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, always have! :ohwell:

I eat prunes in the evening, works for me...seems more natural!

Oh my I have a story about prunes too! Lets just say eat them at night, and dont eat too many!!:wink:
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you tried miralax? It helps regulate your system and you can mix it with juice. It is not habit forming, it does take a couple of days to work though. It's available at drugstores. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:

I give miralax to my daughter every so often to help move things along, on the recommendation of her doctor of course, it takes a few days but seems to work.
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    I take a Flaxseed Oil capsule every day, and eat activia along with lots of water and exercise!
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and we give a ton of miralax, and its the most effective lax I've seen. It doesn't cause cramping or bloating. We also had this problem with my son as a baby and the dr. recom. it and it was effective. If you mix it with juice or coffee you can't taste it and let it sit for about 45 sec till it compleatly disolves. Good Luck!
    how long does it take to work?
  • debbiesuefa2000
    debbiesuefa2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My gastro guy told me to take mirolax daily. He said to stay away from the "herbs" and senna. My colan in black because of the tea. Is that a bad thing????? Good luck.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Black poop? Stoll softeners help too. I know there is nothing worse.
  • shalinik78
    Options
    How about soaking dried figs and then eating them in the morning first thing - 2 would do the magic !
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with the senna tea
    believe me it works, I only use it when I havent been regular.
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I,m sooo glad we can talk about these things:laugh:

I,ve been wanting to ask for advice but didn,t know how to bring it up:tongue:

Thanks lady,s:love:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    this i found intresting while reading on a site

"Some people find that excessive wind, bloating and even constipation can occur if they suddenly start to eat a lot more fibre, so to prevent this it’s important to introduce fibre-rich foods gradually. This gives your body a chance to get used to them and adapt accordingly. Dietary fibre acts a bit like a sponge in the gut and absorbs water to increase the bulk and softness of the stools, helping to ensure they’re eliminated easily from the body. Therefore, as you increase your intake of fibre, it’s also important to increase your fluid intake. If you don’t drink enough, then constipation may result." the rest of the blog is right here at this link

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/high_fibre/digestion.htm

I've also read in a few diff places that there is such a thing as "too much" fiber can constipate u and the vitamins and minerals dont get soaked into the body as well
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    and one other refrence

Problem with High-Fiber Diets
    Including fiber in one's daily diet has definite benefits. However, although very uncommon, fiber has the potential to cause harm if taken in excess of 60 or 70 grams daily. "Since fiber carries water out of the body, taking too much can cause dehydration and intestinal discomfort or gas," (Boyle, p. 84). Large amounts of fiber require a high fluid intake. Therefore, as one increases fiber in the diet, water intake must also be increased. If one does not consume enough fluid, then one's stool could become very hard, resulting in difficult and painful elimination.

Fiber speeds the movement of foods through the digestive system. Since iron is mainly absorbed early during digestion, high amounts of fiber may limit the opportunity for the absorption of iron, calcium , and other nutrients. Finally, large amounts of fiber can also cause deficiencies of nutrients and energy by causing one to feel full before enough nutrients have been consumed. Children and elderly persons are especially vulnerable to these concerns, since they eat smaller portion sizes.

In conclusion, fiber is an important element of the diet and provides several health benefits. Eating balanced meals containing whole grain and fresh fruits and vegetables will ensure meeting the proper recommended allowances.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Fiber.html