Struggling with new early morning work shift

Options
Hi everyone,

I used to work 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and I loved it. I would run from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m., shower/eat breakfast, work and then sometimes even take classes at the gym from 5:30-7:30 most days after work. Then I would go to bed around 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. and repeat the cycle. This schedule allowed me to relax on the weekends. Recently though my boss has changed my hours...

I now work 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays and I HATE IT.

I can't do both running and workout classes anymore without hurting myself. During most of my early morning shift I'm alone and I've been taking out my depression on the office candy jars. How can I stop doing this? My new shift is very demanding the first few hours so it's not like I have time to make myself oatmeal until like 8 a.m.

Does anyone have any ideas for good snacks for me to eat really early in the morning at 6 a.m. that are filling and don't take anytime to make? Something that will keep me from eating junk? I was thinking I might just need to start eating an apple at 6 a.m. every morning. It would have to be an apple because I don't even have the time to peel an orange! And then, if I do that, should I still eat breakfast around 8 a.m. or just wait to eat until lunch?

How do I eat to give myself energy now? My gym doesn't have any good classes until 5:30 p.m. and since I leave work at 2 p.m. I'm usually starving for dinner by that time. Right now I'm going to the classes when I have enough energy and then coming home around 7:30 p.m. to shower, cook something fast and talk to boyfriend on the phone and then sleep around 10:30 p.m. And then I'm tried and grumpy the next day all over again.

This cycle sucks! How can I eat to feel better?

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Banana's! They're filling and provide an almost instant energy, they also don't contain fat, sodium, or cholesterol!
  • mpena1980
    mpena1980 Posts: 23
    Options
    I drink premade smoothies in the morning...i get them at krogers in the dairy aisle, i also take a couple nutri grain bars to eat on the way to work. if you can try to eat something small every couple hours so by the time lunch rolls around you wont feel like you are starving.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I used to love the early shift. We had total flex time and I worked from 4am to 12:30pm. I had time to do everything after work. Of course I went to bed at 7pm. :laugh:
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I used to work this same shift and I LOVED IT!!!!! I would eat a package of oatmeal in the morning and then a piece of fruit mid-morning, then I was good until lunch. I love love loved getting off so early and still having so much daylight left!!!

Good luck!
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think my problem is partly I'm a pretty social person and these new hours really isolate me. I can't run with my buddies in the morning, I can't take gym classes without being tired and hungry... I just feel down all the time and I hate that I keep eating all the stupid junk food in the morning of course, too!
  • rejoys
    rejoys Posts: 3
    Options
    I work at a convience store and have to be at work from 5 am -1pm. I basically get up at 3:30am and make my breakfast. When I get to work I do not have time to snack. I am busy with lunches and breakfast to eat anything. My lunch ends up being between 8:45 and 9am. My eating is messed up and I have gained weight that I had lost so I am basically back to losing weight again. When I get home I am hunger so I have to make something like veggie or cottage cheese to hold me over, until dinner which is made anywhere from 6pm to 7pm. If you need a pick up food for energy I would suggest eating some almonds or other nut.
  • eclare87
    Options
    I used to work this same shift and I LOVED IT!!!!! I would eat a package of oatmeal in the morning and then a piece of fruit mid-morning, then I was good until lunch. I love love loved getting off so early and still having so much daylight left!!!

Good luck!

llahairdna, when would you work out? Did you ever try working out around 5:30 or 6:30? Also what time would you go to bed and eat dinner? Thanks for your help!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE that schedule, but I'm an early riser. Keep in mind it can take up to a month to get used to a new work schedule (at least for me it does).

Go to bed earlier. I get up @ 4am every day (have to be @ work by 7) - I'm in bed by 8:30pm. Maybe you flat need more sleep. Keep in mind you're getting up earlier but you haven't adjusted your bedtime schedule to reflect the "loss" of sleeping time. I suffer from insomnia so I try to go to bed/get up at the same time every day (even weekends).

Hard boiled eggs, apples, bananas, yogurt, string cheese, etc...

You could also do a bunch of prep work & bulk cooking on the weekend to alleviate the weekday stress. Many times I'll hard boil a bunch of eggs and make oatmeal for the week and portion everything out. That way during the week, I can just grab whatever sounds good for lunch/breakfast/snack/etc... and take off.

I work out in the early AM at home. Is that something you could do?

My only other advice is whatever you decide, try to really keep your schedule consistent for at least 2-4 weeks. Then reevaluate and go from there.

Good luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've worked this schedule for pretty much the last 5 years and yeah, it sucks but there are some positives. I eat a small pack of PB crackers or a trail mix bar for breakfast almost every day. I buy them by the packs at the store. My mornings are crazy busy and I don't usually get to eat again til about 11am. I buy the prepackaged salads but you can make yours for cost effectiveness. I also have string cheese, apple slices, water and 100 calorie bags of popcorn always on hand. These things make for quick and easy, but low cal snacks through out your day so you're not starving by the end of your day.

As for exercise, I usually just go right after work to the park to run and I have a simple weight set at my house, along with a few workout videos.

Another thing I've learned is that as much as it sucks, going to bed earlier (say 9ish) works wonders on feeling tired and grumpy the next day.
  • eclare87
    Options
    You could also do a bunch of prep work & bulk cooking on the weekend to alleviate the weekday stress. Many times I'll hard boil a bunch of eggs and make oatmeal for the week and portion everything out. That way during the week, I can just grab whatever sounds good for lunch/breakfast/snack/etc... and take off.

I work out in the early AM at home. Is that something you could do?

I used to wake up at 5:40 a.m. to go running with a buddy at 6 a.m. So technically waking up at 5:00 a.m. to go to work really isn't that much of a time difference. But it feels so different! I don't have the good endorphins or energy, I'm not meeting up with my running buddy anymore. I go to my office at 6 a.m. and no one is there, lights are off and junk food from the night /sports desk (I work at a media organization) is EVERYWHERE.

I'm not sure how I could wake up any earlier than I already am to work out either... I really like to workout with other people for the most part. That's why I have a running buddy and work out in classes in the evening were so great for me. I guess first step is just going to bed earlier. I know for sure that I am doing that wrong by going to bed at 11 p.m.... But if I get out of the gym at 7:30, I'm not usually ready for bed until 10ish at the earliest. UGH
  • cfmcookie
    Options
    I have the same problem in the opposite way. My hours are suppose to be10 AM - 6 PM,k but I often don't get home until 8 PM, when my family is frustrated, hungry and I'm tired. My son does not leave for school until 7:10 AM and I get him up around 6:15 AM. Although he is not an infant, I don't want to leave before he does. I'm looking for classes that start around 7:30 and end by 8:30, so that I have time to shower, grab a bit and get to work. The only classes offered are yoga and pilates. I don't find those seem to make a big difference.

In another few weeks my office moves to Jersey City, that will change things entirely. I'll need to get the bus by 7:20, to get two more trains to my office. I should get there in about an about 1.25 hours. I understand driving is a bear because of traffic and will take me longer. I also understand that there are very few trains OUT of Jersey City at night (at least from the stop I'll need to get off - Pavonia. IT seems my hours are going to have to change to 9:00-5:00.

I've got class two nights a week and every other Saturday - so it doesn't seem I'll be able to see the family any additional time at night. On the three nights I can get home earlier, I'll spend it with them.

Anyone have any ideas or know any gyms near East Hanover that offers classes at 7:30 AM until my office moves?
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I work 4 am to 12:30 and don't eat anything before work. I wait til my lunch break and eat breakfast (around 9) and then eat lunch around 1 when I get off work. I will sometimes eat a Cutie before heading out in the morning, they take less than a minute to peel As far as exercise goes I usually exercise in the evening right before preparing dinner.
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Same as a couple others bananas are wonderful and filling......then smoothies!! Yum you can do so much with smoothies. Different combinations of fruits and veggies. You can pre pack your fruit/veggies then freeze and then just pop in blender in morn with some ice.. almond milk..maybe some protein powder if you like. Takes couple of minutes. : )
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas or know any gyms near East Hanover that offers classes at 7:30 AM until my office moves?

Nope, but props to you for epic bumpage...
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I used to work 6-2:30. I would get up at 4, shower and have breakfast. Eat something small on my break at 8, lunch at 10, eat again on my break at 12:30 then maybe a small snack after work before dinner. I'd workout after worn (I do everything in my home, I don't attend a gym). Now my schedule is 8-4:30 (we just flipped ours) so I'm going to try a 5 am workout (I've never enjoyed getting up early unless I was getting paid for it, so we'll see how this goes) before shower and breakfast. I agree, try out a schedule and be consistent about it for a month or so. Your body takes time to adjust to things. Try to get more sleep, maybe some yoga to destress and fuel yourself adequately.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Nope, but props to you for epic bumpage...

Hee hee, I didn't notice the original date. There must have been some searching going on.