Thanks!
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is awesome AND hides the sweat :)
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great support and tips. It actually quit raining here so I'm about to go out now. I think I may try to brave the elements one of these days :smile: In the meantime I liked the idea of not letting the treadmill win!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I hate my elliptical, so I position it right in front of the television and watch tv. Zone out to whatever is on and completely forget that I am working out. I don't set the time on it, I just stop when I am tired or when the show is over.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I hear you..I walk for exercise, too - three days a week and I hate it when the weather does not cooperate! I have an elliptical that is an amazing machine, but now that I have been walking outside, I loathe it. So, I started walking when the weather is bad, too! Ha! The only time I refuse to go out is if it is lightening. Otherwise, it's out I go. I'm already dreading summer, though. It will be very interesting to see how I do when it starts getting hot - (live in Missouri). Good luck!!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten lots of good advice here. I happen to love my treadmill as well as running / walking outside. Here is my advice:

1. TV. I have mine in front of a TV and DVD player. My favorite thing to do is get multiple seasons of a good TV series on DVD and work my way through episode after episode. That *really* keeps me coming back to the treadmill. Otherwise, watch recordings of current episodes of series that interest you.

2. Listen to recorded books, or download interesting podcasts to your iPod and listen to those. ("Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" is one of my favorites.)

3. Switch it up. Other people have already suggested this: Do intervals by increasing the incline and / or speed for regular periods of time. You can do a search online for treadmill workouts if you need suggestions.

4. Okay, this one really shows I'm a geek. What makes me overall prefer the treadmill over running / walking outside is the whole number thing. I can watch the timer and the distance, and I play number games with myself and do simple math problems (e.g., I've got x% of my workout complete, y% of my workout to go; I've done x 5-minute intervals, I have y 5-minute intervals to go; if I continue at this pace I'll complete x miles when the total amount of time is y; etc.).

I suppose one other thing to consider: Do you have a decent treadmill? We had to replace ours a few years ago and until I went shopping for a new one I didn't realize how much the old one vibrated as I ran on it.

Good luck.