Eat before or after

Options
Does it matter if you eat a small protein snack before or after you work out?? Is there general guidelines on that?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depending on the intensity and duration of the workout you probably want to have a snack afterward to help recovery, eating before a workout is more of a comfort issue. Personally I try to eat about 3 hrs before a hard run (or run on an empty stomach for the easier ones) - I just don't like the feel of food in my stomach when I'm exercising.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have been told that I should either eat 1-2 hours before working out (a balanced meal with 30 grams protein) or drink a protein shake 30-60 minutes prior to exercise. I was also advised that after the workout, I should consume protein (30 grams) within 30 minutes. I think this advice is pretty standard in the fitness industry especially if you weight train.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have been told that I should either eat 1-2 hours before working out (a balanced meal with 30 grams protein) or drink a protein shake 30-60 minutes prior to exercise. I was also advised that after the workout, I should consume protein (30 grams) within 30 minutes. I think this advice is pretty standard in the fitness industry especially if you weight train.

spot on to the above! this is correct, I have a protein shake, banana before and after a workout, do the same and you will see the difference in your performance
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I say after but due to the same reason Brian mentioned above. I rather work out with out a stuffed belly and most of the time if I did I would still likely be hungry after and eat again. I generally take a small snack like Almonds or fruit for after my work out just to sate me after cool down.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think a banana or something before you work out will suffice, so you get the energy you need to optimize your workout. Afterwards you should also consume some food as well, since you're body is super tired. That's just my reasoning..
  • randall774
    Options
    carbs before or during training for energy...

...protein + carbs after training for recovery.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    carbs before or during training for energy...

...protein + carbs after training for recovery.

This.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I always have an apple or banana about an hour before I hit the treadmill. Then, afterwards, I have my regular supper (mix of protein and carbs).